Star-Ledger: Keyshawn: Stats lie on ex-mate ...(pumps up Vinny)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Johnson feels Testaverde still has it

Thursday, October 06, 2005 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Keyshawn Johnson said yesterday that new Jets starting quarterback Vinny Testaverde can still bring it. But for Testaverde to succeed, Johnson says, he'll need help.

Testaverde, who'll start on Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the Meadowlands, didn't get that help from the Cowboys last season and the result was a 5-10 record as a starter.

"I thought Vinny played extremely well last season under the circumstances," said Johnson, who played with Testaverde for one season in Dallas and three with the Jets.

"We had a subpar running game most of the season. We had no real threats at receiver except myself and (tight end Jason) Witten. The offensive line struggled. We had problems all the way around.

"I don't think Vinny lost his starting job because of poor play. He lost it because of front-office decision-making and youth. ... I thought at the end of the season he was throwing better than at the start. I honestly feel that way."

Last season, Testaverde, who turns 42 next month, threw for 3,532 yards, 17 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. The Cowboys signed Drew Bledsoe, 33, to replace Testaverde.

"I thought it was a great thing the Jets signing Vinny," said Johnson, who had 70 receptions for 981 yards and six touchdowns in 2004. "I thought he deserved another chance. Vinny can still play in the NFL.

"I think he threw 20 interceptions last season, but I'd say maybe 10 were his fault. The other 10 came on passes just before halftime, busted routes by the receivers, tipped balls. People look at his stats and say he didn't play well. Stats don't always tell the truth."

The Jets hope Testaverde, in his 19th season, can stretch the field with his arm, which would in turn open up the running game.

"They just have to protect Vinny," Johnson said. "I don't think the West Coast offense (in Dallas) was a good fit for him. He's more of a pocket passer. I think he'll be fine in the Jets' system. I think they want to throw the ball downfield. (Laveranues) Coles and (Justin) McCareins, they need to make plays for him."

Johnson counted only six players on the current Jets roster who were with him on the 1998 team that reached the AFC Championship game behind Testaverde, who threw a club-record 29 touchdowns and just seven interceptions that season -- Testaverde, Curtis Martin, Wayne Chrebet, Kevin Mawae, Jason Fabini and Jerald Sowell.

"Man, that was a great team," Johnson said. "And that's what it was, it was a team."

Johnson says he doesn't follow the Jets as much as he follows coach Herman Edwards. The pair were together for a year at Tampa.

"I like Herman Edwards. I wanted to play for him, but it didn't work out," Johnson said. "I just feel bad for him. It seems like things keep working against him. But I know eventually, he'll get it done."

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/112858068960010.xml&coll=1

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I wish Vinny luck......I respect him being that age and still competing.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Memo to Jerry Jones. Don't every hire Keyshawn Johnson as a scout. There is no way that Vinny was throwing the ball better at the end of the season than at the beginning of the season.

I liked the comment of all he had to throw to was him and Witten. All Aikman had to throw to was Irvin and Novacek. The second receiver was basically just a body in those years. Harper may have made some big plays, but he wasn't anything special. Quincy Morgan's career numbers aren't that much different than Harper's.

The running game was pretty darn good the second half of the season, yet Vinny had a QB rating of 69.9. Obviously, the offense last season wasn't even close to being on the level of the teams from the early 90s. However, with the running game working well when Julius returned, Vinny's numbers should have become better not worse. That is if Vinny is as good as Key thinks and also if Key really is a #1 receiver like he claims. The reality is that isn't the case. Vinny is not a good QB and can't handle a full season at his age. And Key is a solid receiver, but not one capable of carrying the receiving corp on his own.