Stash's Mock Draft

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's my annual effort in futility, let me know what you guys think:

Stash's Dallas Cowboys 2009 Mock Draft
Round 2 : Duke Robinson - OG - Oklahoma - 6’5” 335 lbs.

Massive drive-blocking mauler who plays with a mean streak. Capable of pancaking opponents. Has long arms for a guard. Solid short-area quickness for a player his size. Durable player with size, strength, and drive to compete immediately at the next level. Robinson is capable of contributing quickly to improving the Cowboys’ running game.

Round 3: Jason Watkins - OT - Florida - 6’6” 317 lbs

Athletic left tackle prospect with quick feet to play at the NFL level. Effective in space and capable of getting to the second level. Versatile, has also played on the right side so he could begin his career as a swing tackle. Has long arms and excellent athleticism with considerable upside potential.

Round 4: Tony Fiammetta – FB- Syracuse – 6’0” 246 lbs.

Solid, tough fullback who can block, catch, and run. Came into his own as a true fullback in 2008. Often used in motion so his versatility is also a plus. A team leader who will run through walls to help his team win. I feel he would be a considerable improvement over the average Deon Anderson and help the Cowboys’ 3-headed monster running game.

Round 4: Johnny Knox – WR – Abilene Christian – 5’11” 185 lbs.

Speed-burning deep threat with 2,227 yards and 30 touchdowns the past two seasons. Solid candidate for slot and kick return duties. Provides a nice contrast to the long-striders this team currently has at receiver. Will need some polish and time to adjust to the pro game, but the potential is certainly there. Recent 4.3 40 time has his stock on the rise.

Round 5: Rashad Johnson - FS – Alabama - 5’11” 195 lbs.

Smart, undersized player with excellent instincts and a nose for the ball. Great hands for the interception and makes the most of his opportunities. His three interceptions led the way for his team’s victory over LSU. Hard worker and team leader who can make the defensive calls. His only downside is a lack of prototypical size.

Round 5: Stephen McGee – QB – Texas A & M – 6’3” 223 lbs.

Solid physical specimen with the smarts and leadership skills to develop into a solid NFL quarterback. Team-oriented player open to coaching, should make for an ideal developmental quarterback behind Tony Romo and could develop into a future starter.

Round 5: Jason Phillips - ILB - TCU – 6’1” 236 lbs.

Smart football player, son of a football coach. Capable of calling defensive plays. Tough player who plays through pain. Good speed for his size and good awareness in coverage. Could start out as special teams contributor while he develops. Recent injury is the reason he’s still available in 5th round.

Round 6: Bradley Fletcher – CB – Iowa – 6’1” 195 lbs.

Terrific athletic ability and solid size for the position. Matches up well with bigger receivers. Solid special teams player who can contribute in that role while he develops his game as a cornerback.

Round 6: Jasper Brinkley – ILB – South Carolina – 6’2” 265 lbs.

Solid size and strength to play inside in a 3-4 system. Natural instincts and an aggressive blitzer. Recent struggles and injury have dropped his stock, but he still has the potential to develop into a solid inside presence.

Round 7: Lee Robinson – OLB - Alcorn State - 6’2” 243 lbs.

Team leader and solid character. Very productive player coming off a solid senior season. A bit raw, but a natural athlete, Robinson could fill a rush linebacker role while his overall game develops.

Round 7: Antonio Dixon – DT – Miami – 6’3” 326 lbs.

Solid nose tackle candidate with the strength to stack linemen and stuff the inside running game. Able to handle the double-team. Above average agility for a player his size. While not a full-time starter, he won’t be asked to be in Dallas either, but could provide a breather for Ratliff at nose tackle.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
LOL at the Rashad Johnson, Jason Phillips and Jasper Brinkley pick going in the 5th and 6th rounds...Watkins is slow and weak. The only picks I like is Duke and Phillips.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
FB?

1. we have one.

2. we likely use Barber and Choice in various "Richie Anderson" sets next year to replace the one we have for at least 10 snaps a game.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I'd take Rashad Johnson over Delmas. The 2nd round pick is a good one. You addressed guard with the number 1 guard prospect.

I would like to see another fullback taken. I like Quinn Johnson, but the guy from Syracuse is good, too.

Jordan55

Reaction score
stasheroo;2693550 said:
Here's my annual effort in futility, let me know what you guys think:

Stash, appreciate the effort, I tend to agree with the others don't see Rashad Johnson falling into round 5.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jordan55;2693834 said:
Stash, appreciate the effort, I tend to agree with the others don't see Rashad Johnson falling into round 5.

Thanks for the kind words.

Johnson was the toughest choice for me to make.

I originally had him in Round 3, but then felt neither Watkins, Fiammetta, nor Knox would last until round 5 at this point.

And I read that some scouts considered Johnson a 5th round prospect so I figured putting him there would give me the best chance to get the players I had hoped.

And given the fact that Hamlin has a big contract to play free safety, I thought it was the position I could wait on.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2693652 said:
FB?

1. we have one.

2. we likely use Barber and Choice in various "Richie Anderson" sets next year to replace the one we have for at least 10 snaps a game.

Our FB should be cut.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DaBoys4Life;2693997 said:
Our FB should be cut.

I personally think the team could do a lot better in that area and an upgrade would be a huge improvement for the offense.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2694016 said:
I personally think the team could do a lot better in that area and an upgrade would be a huge improvement for the offense.

Yeah he's bit a good blocker he can't catch or rush and he missed the bblock that lead to Romo's injury enough reason for him to get cut.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not a big fan of this mock Stash.

Nothing personal here just not sure I agree on priorities with you.

I do like Rashad Johnson a lot and if he is there at top of round 3 my guess is we'd take him in a heartbeat if we haven't already drafted a safety.

Not gonna bother with another SS/FS lecture but be sure that we will draft a guy who can play FS. If a guy has hard hitter and in the box type or struggles in coverage next to his name you can forget it.

Duke is our type guy and I could see us grab him at 51 for sure. We like guys who play football in the south and we like big monster OL.

Watkins is NOT our type of guy at all. We'd think of him at a blocking TE, lol. He needs to go to a finesse zone blocking scheme.

FB is a position where we carry all of one body. We don't hold it in high value and thus I don't see us using a pick as high as round 4 to address it. Cricket isn't great but he gets the job done when healthy. He is also one of our better special teamers. But even if we do upgrade the last consideration will be how good of a runner the guy is. We have 3 runners as is.

FWIW, Bennett has been working more and more out of the backfield so he can be on the field with Witten more often.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;2694204 said:
Not a big fan of this mock Stash.

Nothing personal here just not sure I agree on priorities with you.

No problem. I appreciate the feedback anyway.

jterrell said:
I do like Rashad Johnson a lot and if he is there at top of round 3 my guess is we'd take him in a heartbeat if we haven't already drafted a safety.

Yeah, like I said, I had him there originally but though they had a chance to get him later because of less than ideal size. He's a playmaker who I feel could be another Ed Reed.

jterrell said:
Not gonna bother with another SS/FS lecture but be sure that we will draft a guy who can play FS. If a guy has hard hitter and in the box type or struggles in coverage next to his name you can forget it.

Agreed.

jterrell said:
Duke is our type guy and I could see us grab him at 51 for sure. We like guys who play football in the south and we like big monster OL.

I think Duke could step right in at LG and allow Kosier to serve in a utility lineman role. And he would also add to increasing the physicality of this team and its' running game (which I feel they need)

jterrell said:
Watkins is NOT our type of guy at all. We'd think of him at a blocking TE, lol. He needs to go to a finesse zone blocking scheme.

I think Watkins has the ability to develop into a solid LT and a year in a pro strength training program could do wonders for him. I think the raw skills are there. And I don't see how they can do better where they're drafting.

jterrell said:
FB is a position where we carry all of one body. We don't hold it in high value and thus I don't see us using a pick as high as round 4 to address it. Cricket isn't great but he gets the job done when healthy. He is also one of our better special teamers. But even if we do upgrade the last consideration will be how good of a runner the guy is. We have 3 runners as is.

And I see that as part of the problem. This team should hold it in high value. When you've got a good one, it makes your running game much better. My think is why have 'just a guy' when you can have the best one in the draft and add another dimension to your offense?

FWIW, Bennett has been working more and more out of the backfield so he can be on the field with Witten more often.

I'd prefer Bennett do what he's best at and the team get a fullback who can already do what they're looking for in the backfield.

But that's just my opinion and what I would do.

Thanks again for the response!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't like the thought that guys drafted in rounds 2 & 3 probably won't see the field this year.

The guys that fill positions that could see the field this year... NT, FS, CB, ILB aren't picked until later.

Sorta arse backwards.

And we still don't have a decent back-up center.

PokerPro

Benched
Reaction score
Round 2 : Duke Robinson - OG - Oklahoma - 6’5” 335 lbs.

I actually had him going to us in my mock if he fell.

Round 3: Jason Watkins - OT - Florida - 6’6” 317 lbs

WAY too early for Watkins, he's like a 5th round prospect.

Round 4: Tony Fiammetta – FB- Syracuse – 6’0” 246 lbs.

Can't see us using a 4th rounder ona F.B., can't picture him much better then Anderson anyway.
Round 4: Johnny Knox – WR – Abilene Christian – 5’11” 185 lbs.

Not bad, I coud live with it.

Round 5: Rashad Johnson - FS – Alabama - 5’11” 195 lbs.

He's a 2nd round prospect, again, what site are you using to gauge these rounds for the player?

Round 5: Stephen McGee – QB – Texas A & M – 6’3” 223 lbs.

I don't mind it.

Round 5: Jason Phillips - ILB - TCU – 6’1” 236 lbs.

AGAIN, he was a 2nd round prospect, got hurt but is still a 3rd round prospect at worst.

Round 6: Bradley Fletcher – CB – Iowa – 6’1” 195 lbs.

O.K. I guess.

Round 6: Jasper Brinkley – ILB – South Carolina – 6’2” 265 lbs.

Will be LONG GONE!

Round 7: Lee Robinson – OLB - Alcorn State - 6’2” 243 lbs.

Don't knwo much about him

Round 7: Antonio Dixon – DT – Miami – 6’3” 326 lbs.

I like his upside, but a few problems, we won't be using two picks on I.L.B., and we'll be using one of our top 3 picks on a N.T. in my opinion, and I don't like F.B. in round 4 either.

]

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Stash, I got your back on upgrading the FB position. So much so that I had Dallas taking one in round 3. LOL

Their comments for you are pretty tame, compared to all the "death" and "suicide" talk that accompanied mine. LOL

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;2694754 said:
I don't like the thought that guys drafted in rounds 2 & 3 probably won't see the field this year.

The guys that fill positions that could see the field this year... NT, FS, CB, ILB aren't picked until later.

Sorta arse backwards.

I can see your point. But my thinking was that Robinson could start this season, adding another physical component to the line. And that would allow Kosier to be the team's top backup lineman. Watkins wouldn't start obviously, but I think he's got the tools to be the team's future left tackle in a year. And for that, I would be willing to wait. But obviously other people don't have the same opinion of him.

Personally, I don't see a FS doing a whole lot this year anyway. The team paid Hamlin huge money to do that and signed Sensabaugh to take over at SS. I don't envision a rookie safety having a huge impact in '09.

At one time, I thought the team would look for a true NT and move Ratliff to DE. But with Olshansky's signing, I think they like the current from 3 and will look for a NT prospect later - if at all - and let Anderson or Siavii and the rookie battle it out for the backup role in camp.

As for CB, with the Sensabaugh signing, I don't know how much work a rookie corner would get. Hamlin, Sensabaugh, Newman, and Jenkins/Scandrick will start with the loser of Jenkins/Scandrick being the nickel guy.

And the team is saying that they expect Brooking to be a 3 down player so a rookie would have to be special to see extended time there as well.

At least that's how I see things.

But a fullback would start and if he brings what the teams needs, he'd play a lot. And I envision Knox as both slot receiver and an explosive return man who could be the player they hoped Stanbak would be. His quickness and cutting abilitity would be a great complement to the long-striders this team currently has at receiver.

MichaelWinicki said:
And we still don't have a decent back-up center.

I was hoping that Kosier could handle that role, or that if Procter does return, that it would be solely at backup center.

That was my line of thinking and why I made the choices I did.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PokerPro said:
I actually had him going to us in my mock if he fell.

WAY too early for Watkins, he's like a 5th round prospect.

Most rankings I see have him going between round 3 and round 4. Sporting News likes him in Round 3.

PokerPro said:
Can't see us using a 4th rounder ona F.B., can't picture him much better then Anderson anyway.

You're probably right and they probably won't. But I feel they should. And I feel that Fiammetta could be special and a team leader while Anderson is just a guy and just happy to be here.

PokerPro said:
Not bad, I coud live with it.

Knox is a favorite prospect of mine. I think his explosiveness could be just what both this offense and the return games need.

PokerPro said:
He's a 2nd round prospect, again, what site are you using to gauge these rounds for the player?

In this case, again Sporting News. They have him in Round 4 and I was taking the chance that he'd be there in Round 5. Arguably a bit of a stretch on my part.

PokerPro said:
I don't mind it.

I think he fits the profile of everything you'd want in a backup/developmental quarterback.

PowerPro said:
AGAIN, he was a 2nd round prospect, got hurt but is still a 3rd round prospect at worst.

I'm seeing him listed at rounds 3-4 before the injury. I believe that would be enough to drop him down at least a round.

PokerPro said:
O.K. I guess.

I think Fletcher makes for a nice developmental cornerback.

PokerPro said:
Will be LONG GONE!

All the rankings I've seen value Brinkley as a 7th rounder. The only overestimating I've seen is on the message boards.

PokerPro said:
Don't knwo much about him

He's a good pass rusher who needs work on his overall game. And I think the Cowboys would be a nice fit.

PokerPro said:
I like his upside, but a few problems, we won't be using two picks on I.L.B., and we'll be using one of our top 3 picks on a N.T. in my opinion, and I don't like F.B. in round 4 either.]

You may be right. This is just what I would do were I in charge.

Thanks for the feedback!

PokerPro

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2694822 said:
Most rankings I see have him going between round 3 and round 4. Sporting News likes him in Round 3.

Sporting News is the WORST SITE EVER!
I just read an article someone posted from there and they said Knox and Deon butler, two guys who ran sub 4.4 at the combines were NOT FAST and Derrick Williams, a guy who is suppsoed to be fast but ran a 4.58 at the combine WAS FAST, so that makes me think someone's smoking some good drugs over at sporting news to say a guy who runs a 4.58 they sayd he's really fast and two guys who run 4.3 something are NOT FAST!

In this case, again Sporting News. They have him in Round 4 and I was taking the chance that he'd be there in Round 5. Arguably a bit of a stretch on my part.

I would stay FAR AWAY from the sporting news, HORRIBLE HORRIBLE draft site, TOTALLY CLUELESS IMO!
All the rankings I've seen value Brinkley as a 7th rounder. The only overestimating I've seen is on the message boards.

He'll get picked between rounds 3-5, NO LATER!
Like I said, I'd stay FAR AWAY from a website that claims the two W.R.'s who ran the fastest at the combines, they say they are NOT FAST and a WR. who ran a 4.58 WAS FAST, that speaks VOLUMES on the credibility of their site.

irvin4evs

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2694023 said:
he missed the bblock that lead to Romo's injury enough reason for him to get cut.

You are the ultimate embodiment of knee-jerk insanity.

anyway, LOL @ Johnson in the 5th