CFZ State of the Cowboys: Training camp

aikemirv

Reaction score
When I think of Dak's issues it is not his fumbles. Honestly his other flaws are what causes him to hold the ball too long, not move around in the pocket and poor pocket prescense that cause a fumble issue. The fumble is just the end result of the other flaws!

Jipper

Reaction score
Eagles look good on the lines but QB play is vital and they just don't have it.
Reports are brutal about Hurts play.
Dallas absolutely embarrassed them twice last year even after their head coach called it their super bowl.
Writers can write whatever but Vegas lines don't lie. Those still favor Dallas.

And still since the early 2000s no team in the nfce has won the division in back to back years….so something has to give….again I’ll take a wait and see approach and hope for the best but if hurts plays average we are gonna have an issue with them.

Hardline

Reaction score
You should be getting paid to write this. Just as good or better than most Cowboy reporters.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The Cowboys have reported to beautiful Oxnard, California for the first half of training camp.
There are no real stories of hold outs, arrests, flashers thus far. So beware the white noise. The nonsense that gets tweets off and drives interactions.

Dallas ended last year as a quality but flawed team.
Dallas enters this year as a quality but flawed team.
Most sites have them as the 8th to 10th best NFL team.
Welcome to adulthood where most of us are quality but flawed people.
Dallas is absolutely NOT a title favorite.
But they are Division favorites and expected to make the playoffs.

Onwards------
It all starts with Dak.
A very underappreciated angle to last season was Dak absolutely torching defenses for passing yards and TDs while coming off of a gruesome injury that prevented a normal off-season or even pre-season then dealing with a couple nagging injuries during the year.
Thus far he has looked phenomenal. And very much on the same page with CeeDee Lamb. He looks lighter and is moving very well. Can he avoid the fumbles he suffered last year? Lots of time spent on his footwork should bode well but that'll be worth watching. Remove Dak's fumbles last year and he is easily a top 5 QB of 2021. With them he falls into that 7-9 range.

Youth movement.
Dallas is a very cheap team. They aren't paying anyone real money that is over 25 and anything but a home grown star. Still, the by-product of that can be positive even as it can be annoying to see the Rams collect talent. Rank the best players on this team and Trevon Diggs, Micah Parsons, Cee Dee Lamb are gonna come in at the top basically right after Dak. Young players tend to improve and stay healthy or recover faster.

Kickers.
Whew man the media will shovel any nonsense down throats they can. These kickers may or may not ever kick a field goal in a meaningful Dallas game. It's wayyyy early in camp and if you don't have a proven guy you can always go get a retread at cut downs. All that said the insanity of the missed kicks stuff really should be a good lesson about getting the full story. Dallas plays in next to zero wind and a mix of indoor and pseudo indoors stadiums. They had these kickers kick 45, 50. 55 yards into wild winds in a place they had likely never even visited much less kicked before. But why bother providing context when you can tweet how awful they are and trigger the chicken littles???
--Greg Z cost them games. He was going to get every pass and be given the entire year regardless. These kid kickers will get no such pass and they either make or they get replaced. No reason to worry about Kicker. It's simply an unknown that is VERY unlikely to be as bad or worse than last year.

WRs.
Bill Parcells once said he would never draft a WR round 1 because the world simply provides too many guys with NFL sized bodies. He felt you could get those guys later in the draft every year. As a draftnik for a long time; I think he's right. 75% of the time there's a WR on the best player available list in the NFL draft.
But where I disagree with Bill is this. You need WR1. You need a dog who can be counted upon to win in man situations every time. If/When CeeDee Lamb falls that far even I draft him. But I wouldn't have paid Ced Wilson his money. And I had no major issues with trading Coop for a box of rocks --provided CeeDee is on the roster.
So what should Dallas do? Exactly what they are doing. Keep giving these young guys a chance to flash and get a zillion passes from Dak to CeeDee to lock down their timing. But they should also have a short list of vet WRs in that back pocket.

DT.
Based on actual results from last year the place I have real worry is run stuffing. To that end I am glad they signed Barr. Not sure you wanted lightweight LB (Cox) playing heavily behind pass rush style DT in THill and even Osa Odiggy. A little size helps but our DTs have to stop the run. This is an area I'll be watching.

DBs.
I feel very good here. Safety play has been massively improved under Quinn and Diggs, ABrown and JLew is a good 3-man CB group. Depth is fair with Wright and Joseph. Shout out resigning Jayron Kearse. He is the Fred Warner of our defense. Stops the run, covers a target 1v1 and gets back into coverage. Valuable piece.

Pass rush.
I am VERY confident here. Micah, DLaw now Barr gives you a lot of pass rush weaponry with Sam Williams coming in as a young guy to add depth/athleticism. If DAL can stop the rush and get team sin long to go, it'll be fun times.

OL.
Tyler Smith has been physically dominant and that's about what I expected. I am sure he'll blow some blitz and stunt stuff and yes he will get a hold call here or there but he is going to flat maul people almost every play. NFCE is kinda awful but they do have good DT groups. Tyler allows the run game to get going again. Also want to see how OC looks. TylerB has had a year of starting to get his feet under him. A bump here really elevates this group.

RB.
Zeke/Pollard/Dowdle is a good group. Pollard should get some of those pass game targets DAL lost with Coop/Wilson. Zeke has really worked on his quickness and explosion all off-season. Plus group at worst and could be top 5.

Coaching.
Dan Quinn is a top 3 DC IMHO. I really can't believe we got him back in this role.
Kellen is going to get a head job at some point and will be tough to replace but he is also pretty well known now by DC. What he wants to do is on film. The Dak/Kellen combo will have to adjust to a little more take what we want versus the take what you give us. -- (good) Teams know what they give up and know how to disguise it.
Mike .... I think MM has brought some positives with well times motivational stuff and aggressive play calling He's a proven entity and has his own thoughts and is willing to consider each moment and go with his feel and gut. He's given his coaching staff a fair amount of room to coach and make decisions. But he is not a Jerry apologist or rubber stamper. All that said he isn't bringing top-down style change. As with Dak and this team if we are 8-10th best then everyone is 8-10th best including Big Mike.

Expectations.
I think this team is in line for 11-6 and an NFCE championship with round 2 playoff game. It's not sexy and entitled fans will cry endlessly if that occurs with an early playoff loss but it is what they look like on paper and where they seem to fit relative to other teams.
You could see a massive surge in Philly or WAS but it seems unlikely given overall team talent and QB play.
You could also see Dallas advance farther in the playoffs with some growth from the young guys.
I always enjoy reading your stuff JT. Always smart, level-headed takes that hit pretty close to the bullseye. You seem to see things pretty clearly and aren’t swayed or effected by stupid media takes.

Nice work.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Excellent post. I believe every team in the cap era is a flawed team. Health, not beating yourselves usually are recipes for success, along with some luck. The Rams actually got some good fortune when they didn't have to play either GB or the Chiefs to win the SB and were 1 play any from losing to the Bengals.

The Cowboys can win with their build through the draft strategy, what has killed this team isn't lack of talent, but more about beating themselves. No team is going to be successful when you lead the league in penalties, no team is going to be successful when you have an inconsistent kicker.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'd feel better about DT if they weren't getting ragdolled by Tyler Smith.
Ridgeway might be promising but he was just flat out carried to the sideline today by Tyron and Tyler combo block. Like he disappeared and then reappeared at the out of bounds marker carried,,,,

I'm not keeping up with all the TC details so I'm certainly not arguing. Only thing I would say about your comment was that strength seemed to be the one thing everyone agreed on concerning Tyler during the draft process. So, maybe we've found a guy who has that natural strength that gives everyone fits.
Is there a single human who could hold off Tyron & Tyler? That's a lot of mass. :)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't agree that Kellen is a "good coach". Or Head Coach material. Certainly not yet! Jerry hired him and even said a "learn on the job" approach. What? Say WHAT?

Kellen lacks the experience to make great in-game adjustments. His run game consists of a few delay handoffs up the clogged middle...then makes zeke block for a NCAA Mountain West passing game. He never did get a handle on offensive penalties. HE often subbed Tony when Zeke raised his hand. You are NOT managing your offense, let alone an entire team....like that.

I think he got handed a big job too soon. How about QB coach for 3-4 years first? And then last year we had a head coach who admitted "hands off". I don't like it one bit.
There are those that feel this way.
That's OK as we won't always agree and if you aren't winning it all then it's fair to question all things.

Dallas has finished ranked 1st in offensive yards two of the last three years.
I'd say that is plus even if not as good as being 1st in points.
Last year Dallas was first in yards and points.
Pretty impressive considering the OL shuffling, Dak injuries and WR COVID run that saw us scramble for about 3 weeks to fill out a WR depth chart.

Keep in mind Kellen was offered the Boise State head coaching job.
It was either he run the offense as OC or he leaves and Mike McCarthy runs the offense. Only 2 choices they were ever considering.
Jerry sided with Dak and kept Kellen.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm not keeping up with all the TC details so I'm certainly not arguing. Only thing I would say about your comment was that strength seemed to be the one thing everyone agreed on concerning Tyler during the draft process. So, maybe we've found a guy who has that natural strength that gives everyone fits.
Is there a single human who could hold off Tyron & Tyler? That's a lot of mass. :)
Very true. No one outside Aaron Donald is surviving that double team but it just looked really bad on camera.
And we are now on the 3rd or so guy that has been pancaked. We are running out of DT who can handle the ole hunker down and fill a gap unmoved.
I also have PTSD form last year's San Fran game where they could run for 6 yards a clip and we couldn't get a yard on the ground most rushes.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are those that feel this way.
That's OK as we won't always agree and if you aren't winning it all then it's fair to question all things.

Dallas has finished ranked 1st in offensive yards two of the last three years.
I'd say that is plus even if not as good as being 1st in points.
Last year Dallas was first in yards and points.
Pretty impressive considering the OL shuffling, Dak injuries and WR COVID run that saw us scramble for about 3 weeks to fill out a WR depth chart.

Keep in mind Kellen was offered the Boise State head coaching job.
It was either he run the offense as OC or he leaves and Mike McCarthy runs the offense. Only 2 choices they were ever considering.
Jerry sided with Dak and kept Kellen.
That's fair. And I do want to be civil about my stance. I'm not a big whiny crybaby about it.

But when I see Kellen Moore call 2 or 3 straight run plays up the middle, when the center is getting pushed into the QB before the hand off...stats go out the window. When I see Zeke raising his hand to get subbed....stats go out the window. Showing the defense your behind, they change defenses for Pollard. Just NOT managing the offensive flow.

I like numbers and stats. It's a big part of assessing. But they don't always tell the big picture of things. This offense is high powered...like what...5-6 1st round draft picks? Some say the defense has suffered because of it.

I think we'd be better with an experienced OC.

Aven8

Reaction score
Very true. No one outside Aaron Donald is surviving that double team but it just looked really bad on camera.
And we are now on the 3rd or so guy that has been pancaked. We are running out of DT who can handle the ole hunker down and fill a gap unmoved.
I also have PTSD form last year's San Fran game where they could run for 6 yards a clip and we couldn't get a yard on the ground most rushes.

On SF I am too. Just running at will. Having said that the Shanahan system is awesome. I admired it with his dad and now his son. I would love to have him as our coach. My kind of football.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
agreed nice write...however, i will say that the more and more you read out there, sounds like the eagles are becoming the favorite to win the NFCE and that they are built so strong with their lines that it will offset hurts rough play.

I tend to think that unfortunatly were doomed for history to repeat itself and will have a let down year, but will keep hope up until otherwise disproven
The eagles, who have Jalen hurts under center can not be the favorite....period. how quickly people forget how we dominated the eagles last year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
On SF I am too. Just running at will. Having said that the Shanahan system is awesome. I admired it with his dad and now his son. I would love to have him as our coach. My kind of football.
I cant get past WAS/SF connections to want them here but yes they are very good and that scheme is annoyingly effective.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The eagles, who have Jalen hurts under center can not be the favorite....period. how quickly people forget how we dominated the eagles last year.
exactly. they got tim tebow part 2. but you dont win on leadership and toughness alone.
when QB is below average you can't overcome anything, need perfection.

dogberry

Reaction score
Only had one point to snivel at?

Which two of my top six QBs should I dump to get Prescott into the top five?

Jipper

Reaction score

I respectfully disagree....last year is history and while a directional indicator of the following year, there are too many variables at play. The eagles have put together a very talented roster, built in the trenches. They also finished 7-3 down the stretch and have added a substantial amount of talent. I get that Hurts has not shown he is the guy, but he has had a few flashes and if he can be a game manager then i don't think there is enough of a case to say that Dallas is the favorite; i would put them equal at best at this point and given history of the NFCE give the nod to Philly since we have not seen a back to back champion in close to 20 years.

granted, i hope i am proven wrong and dallas demolishes them and wins the east

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They have not forgotten, they just do not want to admit we are better than the Eagles. And / or they are Eagles fans. We seen all the love the Eagles get on here year after year. :laugh:

Dallas is and should be the favorite to win the NFCE. I can see how it will be a little tougher to do so this season. The no team in the division improved nor got worse than any other team on paper.

There could be a very slight argument as been preached by some. The Eagles made big strides forward as Cowboys went backwards. But in reality only slightly, on paper, maybe.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They have not forgotten, they just do not want to admit we are better than the Eagles. And / or they are Eagles fans. We seen all the love the Eagles get on here year after year. :laugh:

Dallas is and should be the favorite to win the NFCE. I can see how it will be a little tougher to do so this season. The no team in the division improved nor got worse than any other team on paper.

There could be a very slight argument as been preached by some. The Eagles made big strides forward as Cowboys went backwards. But in reality only slightly, on paper, maybe.
“On paper” being the key phrase. We won’t know until the games start.