Statesman Blog: Does Dallas feel the need for Sweed?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Home > Golden's Nuggets > Archives > 2008 > January > 27 > Entry
Does Dallas feel the need for Sweed?

By Cedric Golden | Sunday, January 27, 2008, 01:51 AM

Former Texas wideout Limas Sweed is being projected as a possible first-round pick in this spring’s NFL draft. According to NFLdraftscout.com, Sweed could go late in the first round or early in the second.

The Dallas Cowboys have a great receiving corps but Terrell Owens is 34 years old and 33-year old Terry Glenn missed most of the season with a knee injury. Sweed could be a good fit here even if Jerry Jones did award third receiver Patrick Crayton with an extension.

Sweed’s surgically repaired wrist could keep him out of the first round altogether — he reinjured the wrist during Senior Bowl practices and decided to sit out the game.

“People who know me know that I’m a competitor,” Sweed said in a Sirrius Satellite Radio interview this week. “I have to be smart (in making sure the wrist is healthy by draft time).”

At 6-5, 220 pounds, Sweed is similar in size to Owens. Big receivers are en vogue these days in the pros. Especially big receivers who catch touchdown passes. Sweed hopes a lost senior season won’t discourage scouts from viewing him as a first-round pick.

Permalink | Comments (0) | Post your comment

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
as much as I liked Sweed his Jr. year, I think I'd pass in the first round.

IronCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
A "great" receiving core? Yikes, and no. Sweed is a bust waiting to happen. He is maybe the 10th best receiver in the class.

Nexx

Reaction score
sweed is very very overrated, please pass on him.

sago1

Reaction score
Many mocks continue to show Sweed going in the first round and many to the Cowboys -- although Manningham is also shown. I'm not sure about either of them and will leave it to others who've had a chance to see a lot of both of them and compare them against Hardy, Jackson, Avery, etc. I just know we need the best WR we can get with speed, good hands, doesn't allow himself to be jammed at the LOS & who can run good routes and hopefully is smart enough to learn how to block very well and identify the blitz when he sees it coming. I do think we should also sign a FA WR who can step in immediately opposite TO cause it will take a year before any rookie WR can make an impact.
BTW: I don't count on Terry Glenn at all.

sandy007

Reaction score
Injury should keep Limas Sweed out of the first round. I like him when Vince Young was his QB, but he has not impressed me the last two years.

Woods

Reaction score
sago1;1929169 said:
Many mocks continue to show Sweed going in the first round and many to the Cowboys -- although Manningham is also shown. I'm not sure about either of them and will leave it to others who've had a chance to see a lot of both of them and compare them against Hardy, Jackson, Avery, etc. I just know we need the best WR we can get with speed, good hands, doesn't allow himself to be jammed at the LOS & who can run good routes and hopefully is smart enough to learn how to block very well and identify the blitz when he sees it coming. I do think we should also sign a FA WR who can step in immediately opposite TO cause it will take a year before any rookie WR can make an impact.
BTW: I don't count on Terry Glenn at all.

I think a FA WR is a priority, along with a high draft pick at the WR position.

It appears that Garrett had some interest in Doucet at the Senior Bowl practices.

As for Manningham, the concensus appears on this board that Doucet is ranked slightly better. I may be wrong on this ranking, but from the various threads, that's what I've gathered.

And as for Bowman, I think he's dropped out of the 1st round.

That leaves guys including D Jackson and Hardy. Not sure which WRs we prefer.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Artie Lange;1929199 said:
Sweed=soft...Longhorn=soft.

Ahhh,. the mantra of the Horns haters... strange how such a soft team always seems to wind up in the top 10 of the nation at season's end, these past few years...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1929373 said:
Ahhh,. the mantra of the Horns haters... strange how such a soft team always seems to wind up in the top 10 of the nation at season's end, these past few years...

cupcake schedule? I mean you get to beat up on Texas A&M every year

thinly-veiled shot at Heavy-Hitta31:p:

IronCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1929373 said:

Where do they end up before that? Oh yeah, Alamo Bowl. Big Accomplishment :lmao2:. Colt McCoy, what a joke.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1929403 said:
I like his size

He looked really good at the combine and has potential to improve. After a year or two in the pro's with Romo throwing to him, wowser...

Still rather have Kelly though but he won't be around at 22...

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1929379 said:
cupcake schedule? I mean you get to beat up on Texas A&M every year

thinly-veiled shot at Heavy-Hitta31:p:

:( not the last two years...

It sucks arguing with my dad (who went to a college in India for his bachelor's) who just decided to be an Aggies fan since I decided to go to UT.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DragonCowboy;1929410 said:
:( not the last two years...

It sucks arguing with my dad (who went to a college in India for his bachelor's) who just decided to be an Aggies fan since I decided to go to UT.

oh

that's right

ha

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
DragonCowboy;1929128 said:
as much as I liked Sweed his Jr. year, I think I'd pass in the first round.

The guy is slow by NFL standards, will be hard for him to get any seperation against NFL CBs.

No way I take this guy in the first, maybe if he is still on the board late 2nd.

Maybe......

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
If Dallas wasn't located in the state of Texas, his name would never even be mentioned.

wick

Reaction score
sandy007;1929172 said:
Injury should keep Limas Sweed out of the first round. I like him when Vince Young was his QB, but he has not impressed me the last two years.

So you liked Sweed when he combined for 59 catches, 808 yards (13.7 ypc), and 5 touchdowns with Vince Young throwing the ball his freshman and sophomore seasons, but you didn't like him when he had 46 catches, 801 yards (17.4 ypc) and 12 touchdowns with freshman Colt McCoy throwing the ball his junior year?