Statesman Blog: Does Dallas feel the need for Sweed?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
wick;1929537 said:
So you liked Sweed when he combined for 59 catches, 808 yards (13.7 ypc), and 5 touchdowns with Vince Young throwing the ball his freshman and sophomore seasons, but you didn't like him when he had 46 catches, 801 yards (17.4 ypc) and 12 touchdowns with freshman Colt McCoy throwing the ball his junior year?

On second thought he does stink:rolleyes:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm a big Texas fan but would not go after Sweed in the 1st rd. I would not mind picking him up just not a 1st rd pick in my opinion.

calico

Reaction score
Limas was very slow to develop at Texas and teased us with his Roy Williams type talent. He would have a great game but then no show for the next two. He was set to have a great and stand out senior year before the injury.

I would take him, but he will need some work and probably wouldn't be a great NFL wr for a few seasons.

TVMan

Reaction score
We need elite speed at the WR position. Sweed doesn't have that.

It really doesn't matter, because we are not going to pick a WR in round one.

rangers71

Reaction score
He was clocked in the forty with a 4.58. How fast do you have to be in the 40? For a guy that played tight end in the Wing T and never knew how to run a route he has done pretty well. He has all kinds of talent if he takes the coaching he should be pretty good.

HardHittingRoy31

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1928976 said:
Home > Golden's Nuggets > Archives > 2008 > January > 27 > Entry
Does Dallas feel the need for Sweed?

By Cedric Golden | Sunday, January 27, 2008, 01:51 AM

Former Texas wideout Limas Sweed is being projected as a possible first-round pick in this spring’s NFL draft. According to NFLdraftscout.com, Sweed could go late in the first round or early in the second.

The Dallas Cowboys have a great receiving corps but Terrell Owens is 34 years old and 33-year old Terry Glenn missed most of the season with a knee injury. Sweed could be a good fit here even if Jerry Jones did award third receiver Patrick Crayton with an extension.

Sweed’s surgically repaired wrist could keep him out of the first round altogether — he reinjured the wrist during Senior Bowl practices and decided to sit out the game.

“People who know me know that I’m a competitor,” Sweed said in a Sirrius Satellite Radio interview this week. “I have to be smart (in making sure the wrist is healthy by draft time).”

At 6-5, 220 pounds, Sweed is similar in size to Owens. Big receivers are en vogue these days in the pros. Especially big receivers who catch touchdown passes. Sweed hopes a lost senior season won’t discourage scouts from viewing him as a first-round pick.

Permalink | Comments (0) | Post your comment

That is just as bad as giving up Barber and picks for McFadden, drafing Sweed. Overrated.

TVMan

Reaction score
rangers71;1929824 said:
He was clocked in the forty with a 4.58. How fast do you have to be in the 40? For a guy that played tight end in the Wing T and never knew how to run a route he has done pretty well. He has all kinds of talent if he takes the coaching he should be pretty good.

4.58 isn't elite.

rangers71

Reaction score
TVMan;1929980 said:
4.58 isn't elite.

I never said it was. I was asking a question. How fast do you need to be? Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 at the combine. He turned out pretty good.

TVMan

Reaction score
rangers71;1930017 said:
I never said it was. I was asking a question. How fast do you need to be? Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 at the combine. He turned out pretty good.

I'm thinking more of a Terry Glenn type of WR. That's all. No knock Sweed, but he doesn't have elite speed.

zeromaster

Reaction score
rangers71;1930017 said:
Rice made up for that with a supreme football mind and incredible work ethic. Look at what rubbed off on Owens. Is Sweed going to be that kind of player? We don't know, and I for one would rather not spend a first round pick to find out.

MC KAos

Reaction score
id be ok if he falls to us in the third round, but before that ill pass

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I wouldn't be upset, as some others would be, with him but there are 3 or 4 recievers that I'd rather have if they're still available.

jamesdojr

Reaction score
Most Mocks have Kelly going around 20 so it's at least a possibility we get a shot at him at this point. The combine will determine that though.

ELDudearino;1929407 said:
He looked really good at the combine and has potential to improve. After a year or two in the pro's with Romo throwing to him, wowser...

Still rather have Kelly though but he won't be around at 22...