Steelers and LeBeau part ways

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
In reality... he was fired. Doesn't matter if he agreed to it he only did that because it was going to happen anyway.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Wow. In the league since 59. My first year watching the NFL was 58! Hope he gets a job coaching somewhere. I don't think anyone runs a cover four or six defense anymore. Maybe the game passed him by.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Winning his division this season. Getting to two SB's and winning one.

Yeah overrated.

The thing that makes it a bit hard to judge Tomlin is that he inherited a SB team with a HOF defensive coordinator and a young, SB winning QB. There was a ton of stability in personnel and scheme that he got to inherit. I think his teams have been in gradual decline over the past few years although they looked better this year.

If he can get the back to being regular contenders again then he will get credit for re-building the team.

I think it will be harder for Tomlin as Lebeau's defense has been the signature of that football team for many years now. The great thing about it was that he was able to get good use out of players that often just didn't fit other defenses around the league. I don't think it'll be as easy for them to build formidable defenses without investing more high end picks and that will make it harder to maintain offensive talent.

visionary

Reaction score
And this marks the exposing of Mike Tomlin as an overated head coach and a lull for the Steelers. This is akin to the Eagles losing Jim Johnson....

Tomlinson inherited lebeau, ken whisenhunt and Bruce Arians all darn good coaches

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Big loss for the Steelers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...rs-defensive-coordinator/stories/201501100138

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Dick LeBeau, one of the most revered defensive coordinators in the NFL who is regarded as the architect of the zone blitz that is copied by so many other teams, has agreed to mutually part ways with the Steelers.

LeBeau just completed his 11th season in his second tour of duty with the Steelers, but he was asked to resign after meeting for several days with Coach Mike Tomlin.

“I’m resigning, I’m not retiring,” LeBeau said in an interview with the Post-Gazette after the story was first reported by the Urbana (Ohio) Daily Citizen. “It was a lot of great days, a lot of great years. It’s time to go in a different direction.”

LeBeau said he did not know if he will continue to coach in the NFL.

“I don’t even know, but I’m not retiring,” LeBeau said. “There might not be anyone interested.”