Steelers Notebook: Cornerback Gay might start 4th game in a row

Reaction score
Steelers Notebook: Cornerback Gay might start 4th game in a row
Saturday, December 06, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Coach Mike Tomlin said he hasn't decided if cornerback Bryant McFadden, who will return after missing six games with a broken forearm, will start tomorrow against the Dallas Cowboys.
One reason is because Tomlin is being cautious, wanting to make sure McFadden isn't a little rusty with his timing and coverages after being out for an extended period.
But there is another:
Cornerback William Gay, who has started the past three games, has performed well in his absence and could start his fourth consecutive game.
"That's the job," said Gay, a second-year cornerback from Louisville. "The standard doesn't change. I had to to get in there and do my very best and keep the standard alive."
When McFadden broke his arm Oct. 19 against the Cincinnati Bengals, Gay became the nickel back in the team's substitution packages. But when Deshea Townsend injured his hamstring against the Indianapolis Colts, Gay became the starter opposite Ike Taylor in the secondary.
He had a career-high six tackles (four solo) in the second game against the Bengals and had two pass breakups and four tackles against the New England Patriots.
"I just wanted to help the team as much as possible," Gay said. "I guess it didn't hurt them, so I guess I did my job."
Injury update
Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu returned to practice for the first time this week and will play against the Cowboys. Polamalu was being rested with a calf injury.
Left tackle Marvel Smith (back) and defensive end Brett Keisel (sprained knee) will not play.
Cowboys running back Marion Barber (toe) did not practice again yesterday and coach Wade Phillips said there is "absolutely no change" in his status for the game. On Thursday, Phillips said a decision won't be made until game time if Barber plays against the Steelers.
Owens earns captaincy
It might seem a bit incongruous that Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens, who can be petulant and confrontational on the sidelines, is one of the Dallas team captains.
But not to Phillips.
"He's a very good team player and I don't think people realize that," Phillips said. "The guy's one of the captains on our team. He's probably one of the hardest, if not the hardest, workers on our team.
"Everything he's done on the field, to me, is directly related to how hard he works to do that. He certainly has talent, but there are a lot of players who have talent. He's worked hard to get where he is as far as a Hall of Fame player, which he will be."
NFL's lack of fine applauded
Polamalu was glad to learn that safety Ryan Clark's vicious hit on New England's Wes Welker was not a fineable offense nor, according to a league official, should he have been penalized.
"Sometimes the league can be really fickle about different things," Polamalu said. "It's within rules -- the ball is tipped, anybody can be hit. And it's tough, too. Whenever you're in that position, as much as people may want to preach to pull up, we're trained to hit guys. Once you get lined up on somebody, that's all you're looking for is the hit.
"You kind of see the quarterback and you look and you line up the hit. Sometimes [if] you get there early, they call pass interference; and sometimes you get there late and you get a tackle or you get beat for a touchdown. It's all about timing. Once you make that decision, whether you're 5 yards or 10 yards away from the person, you're not going to change your mind."
Quick hits
Steelers fans can donate a toy to the annual Steelers/Marine Corps Toys for Tots Drive Sunday from noon until 15 minutes after kickoff. Uniformed Marines will be stationed at the Don Farr Moving truck on General Robinson Street at the corner of Art Rooney Avenue, and at collection bins at Gates A, B and C. New, unwrapped toys are needed, especially for girls and boys ages infant to 12. It is also requested that no "weapon toy" or gift cards be included.