Twitter: Stephen: Cowboys spending the amount in total players' salaries, regardless what we spend on Dak

doomsday9084

Reaction score
What does that even mean? They have a cap within their cap?
:huh:

I believe he is trying to say:
- Dak's pay comes out of other people's pay
- Dak's pay has no impact on Jerry's wallet

Its a back handed slam on Dak and the "just pay him" group supporting Dak.

Its interesting that SJ has been turning more negative recently. They were really trying hard to not let this get acrimonious or spill into the public. That no longer seems to be the goal as there are public comments and salary offer/demand leaks that seem to be coming from the team. They seem to be trying to set the fanbase up so that if the negotiation fails, the team won't get the blame.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Collective bargaining does have stipulations on the minimum amount of the cap a team has to spend. I believe that window got even tighter in the latest agreement, so yeah we are spending what we are spending. It’s about who gets what proportion of the pie.

Teams have to spend 95% of each years cap. They are allowed to carry over the other 5% because teams have to be allowed to have some kind of reserve if there is an injury during the season that sends a player to IR. The next year the teams has to spend 5% again of their cap and any rollover they had.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

Its interesting that SJ has been turning more negative recently. They were really trying hard to not let this get acrimonious or spill into the public. That no longer seems to be the goal as there are public comments and salary offer/demand leaks that seem to be coming from the team. They seem to be trying to set the fanbase up so that if the negotiation fails, the team won't get the blame.

when it drags on this long, its only natural that things start to get more "direct" for lack of a better word.

pansophy

Reaction score

Agreed, and it does seem headed that way. The Brown’s were notorious for under spending the cap and pocketing the money, but those loopholes have been closed.

Jerry doesn’t save money by not paying Dak.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

That's as much of speculation as what sportswriters make about where the talks are or what's been offered. Jerry has said many times over the years that he doesn't negotiate through the press so the chances he or Stephen then "leak" anything on the negotiations to the press are less than zero.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Collective bargaining does have stipulations on the minimum amount of the cap a team has to spend. I believe that window got even tighter in the latest agreement, so yeah we are spending what we are spending. It’s about who gets what proportion of the pie.
Oh, I understand the minimum in the cap and we're well above the minimum right now. But he seems to be saying Dak needs to leave some meat on the bone for other players. Like Dallas has personally put a cap on this year's spending.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
That's as much of speculation as what sportswriters make about where the talks are or what's been offered. Jerry has said many times over the years that he doesn't negotiate through the press so the chances he or Stephen then "leak" anything on the negotiations to the press are less than zero.
Shirley, you can't be serious?

Because Jerry says something, that makes it so?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Oh, I understand the minimum in the cap and we're well above the minimum right now. But he seems to be saying Dak needs to leave some meat on the bone for other players. Like Dallas has personally put a cap on this year's spending.

All teams, including the Cowboys, have to spend a minimum of 95% of their cap so the Cowboys setting their own cap is not an option.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

The cap is their cap.

If there is any "personally put a cap" on anything, it's how much a single player will get as a proportion of it.

Your assessment that he is saying Dak needs to leave meat on the bone for others is likely correct. However, it's because of the salary cap, not anything more they've put on themselves.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Shirley, you can't be serious?

Because Jerry says something, that makes it so?

Why is it that in all of these speculations that sportswriters and insiders have made about the negotiations and what has been offered has there been zero direct quotes from Jerry or Stephen?

pansophy

Reaction score
That is what he has been saying all along by making comments like analytics showing you are less likely to win if you spend too much on a QB.

I don’t understand your confusion about a cap within a cap logic. We have to spend a certain amount over time no matter what, and there is always a cap on what we can spend each year. So how do you come up with a personal cap? That would only make sense if you thought Jerry was trying to save money and pocket the difference, but we are near the bottom in cap space right now.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, now I might be buying into that fantasy that Stuphen is taking over because he sounds as ridiculous and says the same stupid things as his old man.

When you get BoogerSpeak, you have to try and figure out what he meant but then after any amount of time spent on such a fruitless endeavor, you figure out you were better off not knowing. He and his son are just alike, they speak to interrupt the lovely silence.

doomsday9084

Reaction score

Of course its speculation. Unless I'm Jerry Jones (which I am not), I don't know what he is thinking. That said:
- We recently got a leak of Dallas offering a big $35m per year with lots of guaranteed money deal
- We recently got a leak of Dak asking for $42m per year
- Stephen has said this and a few other things that weren't pro Dak, which is a departure

My speculation isn't some random "hey, the earth might be flat!" type comment. Its not hard to connect the dots. I still believe that Dallas wants Dak to be their quarterback but it seems that they aren't as sure as they used to be that it is going to happen.

kskboys

Reaction score
Exactly. some people don't understand the owners aren't making more or less based on a players contract its simply about resource allocation.
I've/We've told them a million times, but apparently their brains can't grasp that simple concept. I can't help but think ill of anyone who spews that Jerry/Stephen are cheap. That statement doesn't even make sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, that's not what it means at all. He's saying that to put a super bowl quallity team on the field you need good players everywhere, and giving Dak too big of a chunk of the cap will keep the team from doing that.

Man, this is so simple, why can't you guys get it?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
All teams, including the Cowboys, have to spend a minimum of 95% of their cap so the Cowboys setting their own cap is not an option.
That is a league wide rule not an individual team rule. The league must spend 95% of the cap on players. Which is why players get escalators at the end of the year from the league.

But individual teams must spend a minimum of 89% of their cap space per year on players. So Dallas could set their own personal cap in between 89% and 95%.