Stephen: Cowboys will keep an eye on QBs in the middle rounds

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I’d rather take a QB whose best asset is how well he plays QB, but that’s just me I guess
In Sam Ehlinger's first road start of his college career against #4 ranked USC, Ehlinger led the Longhorns on a 91-yard 4th quarter drive to take the 17-14 lead with 45 seconds left in the game. Unfortunately, the Longhorns would come up short in double overtime, diminishing what could have been a historic victory. Nevertheless, Ehlinger's drive showed the CFB world what he was capable of and set the stage for his breakout sophomore season, where he took the QB starting job from Shane Buechele and led the Longhorns to their first 10 win season in 9 years.
I watched this, and he looks good, this was first start, on the road against a top team.
Cowboys have talked to him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You people mad at Dak's contract have hope yet!
Not for at least 4 years... ;)
On a serious note, why wouldnt you take the opportunity to blow some real pre-draft hype smoke,, I would love to see this franchise come out and say that they are actively looking at a QB at 10, blow some real smoke.
Most will recognize the hoax, but you hope for a knee jerk reaction by a team like NE or Chi when we are on the clock at 10.
Maximize your potential gain

Last edited:

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I rather they take a RB in the middle rounds. Zeke fat or fumbling insurance.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its these kinds of pre-draft comments that are just pointless and aide other teams. Nothing needs to be declared in regard to draft strategy right now. Other teams should not know who we are and are not targeting. This has happened before when the whole world knew we were targeting a TE and philly traded in front of us at the last minute for Dallas Goedart. But, Stephen and Jerry can't pass up a mic.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Not for at least 4 years... ;)
On a serious note, why wouldnt you take the opportunity to blow some real pre-draft hype smoke,, I would love to see this franchise come out and say that they are actively looking at a QB at 10, blow some real smoke.
Most will recognize the hoax, but you hope for a knee jerk reaction by a team like NE or Chi when we are on the clock at 10.
Maximize your potential gain

No one in their right mind would believe we're seriously looking at a QB at 10 even if we stated it over and over. Our best shot to trade down is the board goes unexpectedly like it did for us last year with Lamb and a QB falls. I doubt we're going to catch lightning in a bottle for a second straight year because there are enough teams in front of us beyond the top 3 that could take a QB if they fall.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm ok with taking a shot at some QBs. They should probably do it every draft. You just never know what you're going to find. Sure, the majority probably will never amount to much, but you never know when/where you might find a nice little gem.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so long as it's in the late rounders, with maybe one of the 5th rounders or in the 6th round?.... could be a Colt McCoy type ..?

Agree. I would not like it, if a 4th round or higher. Unless they have some type of trade down where they get a few extra 4th round picks. Then I wouldn't want that, but would not complain if last pick in the 4th.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Isn’t it wonderful having ownership who show the league their hand before the deck has dealt all of their cards.

They just can’t help themselves from teasing the media and the fans instead of holding their cards closer to their best. It’s so embarrassing.

Don’t you think the whole league knows of this already? Pretty obvious. So, no harm in stating the obvious.

The Cowboys have been the most open team when it comes to the draft. It hasn’t hurt them with a team jumping in front of them and getting a player the Cowboys coveted.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don’t you think the whole league knows of this already? Pretty obvious. So, no harm in stating the obvious.

The Cowboys have been the most open team when it comes to the draft. It hasn’t hurt them with a team jumping in front of them and getting a player the Cowboys coveted.
Who else operates as such?

How do we know it hadn’t hurt us? Regardless it benefits other teams if they know what our intentions are.

Last edited: