Recap: Stephen & Jerry Jones Show 12/15 Fan FM - Mazi, Kellen & New Offense, Mexico, Referees, DFW Super Bowl

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Stephen Jones
  • Buffalo is a good football team. They've had their share of injuries. Top QB. That Lake Effect and Buffalo Mafia.... have our work cut out for us. It would be big to go up there on the road and get a win. Their record may not say it, but I still think they're one of the better teams in the league.
  • I think our run defense has improved. I think it's a great opportunity for both Mazi and Gallimore to step up and get more reps. Dan does such a good job preparing the group and know we'll be ready. Just have to get better each week. Great challenge.
  • (Asked if there was a magic moment, or moment would look back on when this team clicked) My opinion is you evolve, as a team and as a QB. When Romo retired, he was sick in his gut, because he knew his body wouldn't do it, but he felt like he would be the best QB in the NFL now and better each year. And I think that's what is happening to Dak. No magical moments. I think the bye week helped us. Mike does a great job preparing. I give CeeDee credit for demanding the ball more. Mike is a very seasoned successful coach, not only regular season, but Playoffs. He knows how to take care of the players, when to rest them, when to go light, when to push them. When he told Jerry and I he wanted to call plays, he told us the biggest thing was if he called it, he had to install it. He's a grinder. Rolled up his sleeves and worked with the guys. And Dak is evolving into it right before our eyes. Great QBs improve every year.
  • Mike was supportive of Kellen every step of the way. And Dak had a lot of success when Mike walked in. He didn't want to upset the apple cart. Mike has a lot of confidence in the man in the mirror and said I can make a difference here. Everyone sees it. He's doing an amazing job. The guy pulling the trigger though is Dak. He's rare as a leader. When Troy and Norv, and that crew got rolling, it was really good to watch. Everyone wants to fall behind Dak and let him lead.
  • (Asked about amending touchback rule and fumbling through endzone) I'm traditional and can be resistant to change, because it's what made our game great, but it can also be what makes your game better. Tremendous penalty for a guy to fumble his ball in the endzone, whereas he fumbles it at half yard line, offense still has the ball. I'm one of 9 who can recommend these changes in rule committee. Will probably get more conversation next year based on input we're getting on it. Wouldn't bother me if it was changed and the penalty you get when ball knocked loose wasn't so egregious.

Jerry Jones
  • Buffalo is a dangerous team. Their QB presents all kinds of problems. Daunting to go from Buffalo and then to Miami. Buckle your seat belts. Every bit as much a challenge as the Philadelphia game. If we can play the way we want, will be a major boost to the team we need to be in the Playoffs.
  • I always think of Josh's running ability. Defenses normally aren't set up for the QB to be a major running component. Well, he is and makes yards on his own. He brings a lot of yards after contact, that's rare. One of toughest QB challenges we've faced this year.
  • (Asked about Micah Parsons holding comments) Officiating is not one for us to wear the badge or critique. It's not effective and doesn't make us better to win a game. I came into the NFL and wanted high integrity guys and let them make the call. You can call too much if you look at it. You don't want the crew to overly impact the game by making the wrong calls. Your team has to be disciplined though. Certain element in all sports that depend on integrity and failures of being human.
  • Micah is so impactful on the game planning of the opposition. We would always list our best players every year in meetings. You always had Aikman and Emmitt at the top. When it was Ernie Zampesi's turn, he put Charles Haley above Aikman. He said I've been trying to strategize against this guy since he was in San Francisco. He is a scheme wrecker. He causes you to have to change your personnel. Micah is a major impact, and you can't capture that in stats.
  • By hydrating, you can usually come around by game time with fever and illness. Might be counter-productive to do that in practice. You usually don't' lose a player due to flu.
  • (Asked about pictures of Bills defenders in practice and motivation tricks) Motivation is relative. We know they can hit us on the nose. They're capable of being scary so motivation is not an issue.
  • I want to have another Super Bowl in DFW. I think it's natural we would. Our #1 selling point, and Roger Staubach helped us make it when we had the first one, is this is Football Country. We are at the center of the greatest game at high school and collegiate levels. There are more people interested in football in this area. The viewing of it, our stadium is state of the art for television. And of course no elements. Our Governor said it the best when talking to FIFA, if you want to show the world good growth and opportunity, don't do it on the coast, show it in Dallas, Texas. Super Bowl isn't a beauty contest, has a lot of technical negotiation. NFL has gotten very proud of that event and extract A LOT from a club and city, not just financial. They may ask for future international games to have a Super Bowl.
  • Look where Mazi can improve. He doesn't need to improve his strength. He is a freak of an athlete, Larry Allen-ish stuff. You think of a nose guard, he has the bulk and size. He has the athletic ability, but we want him to improve his quick twitch aspect so he can hit a gap or put pressure on it. That would be phenomenal and you then have a rare commodity. He is going that direction, and has improved. Getting more snaps now will give him an opportunity to do that.
  • Mexican fanbase has a stronger affinity for boxing than soccer. I'll never forget going down with Pacquiao and Bob Arums and went to Mexico City and Monterrey. Met with the media. Had those long 4 hour lunch with margaritas so 90% of the trip I don't remember. But it was the highlight of my life, and no matter where we went, there was phenomenal support for the Dallas Cowboys. I don't have stats to back it up, but wouldn't surprise me if 50% of Mexicans were Cowboys fans.