Stephen Jones: Aldon Smith Has Met With the Commissioner

ksg811

Reaction score
I'm just reading the last line in the article that says this...

"Technically, the Commissioner has full discretion to decide whether players are reinstated, with no deadline for making decisions."

60 days is NOT a decision deadline. That 60 days is simply for all parties to take steps in order to render a decision. Here’s the exact language from the drug policy:

“ All individuals involved in the process will take steps to enable the Commissioner to render a decision within 60 days of the receipt of the application...”

The wording is a little vague and I can see how it can be interpreted as a decision deadline, but that is not the case.

Cowboys0988

Reaction score
100% agree. You’re right. It’s a positive to get them on the roster. If McCoy can play somewhat of what he was. And aldon contributes in any way. We have a totally different dline that this past year. I can’t wait to see it live.
Should At very least be a huge upgrade vs the run. Looking forward to that.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goodell isn't doing Randy nor Aldon any favors when he drags his feet so long after the CBA has enacted its changes. It's seems like he's trying to ruin their chances of finding success. Hopefully, the CBA ruling will be acted upon soon. It should rightly be honored swiftly to facilitate proper conditioning.
Goodell has 60 days. There is ZERO chance any decision will be made until those are almost over, if not on the last day.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Anae could be a real find too and if it comes down to Anae and Gregory, I would go with Anae. I am all in favor of giving 2nd chances, but around the 4th or 5th chance, I think its time to move on. I say this as a fan of Randy Gregory and someone who hopes he makes it all the way back. But if these two are close in competition, and I can only keep one of them, it has to be Anae - although who knows, he could be a problem child too.
Gregory is a far better player. It's really not even close. Not sure why you think it's time to move on from him. The reason for his suspensions doesn't exist any more.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Aldon has a better chance I think because he has been working with Jay Glazer and his vets organization.

Glazer has a lot of clout around the league and if he puts in a good word with Goodell, I think Aldon's reinstatement is just a rubber stamp.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Aldon has a better chance I think because he has been working with Jay Glazer and his vets organization.

Glazer has a lot of clout around the league and if he puts in a good word with Goodell, I think Aldon's reinstatement is just a rubber stamp.

If he doesn't, Goodell also knows Glazer will bring a whole lot of negative public attention to that decision since he's been touting Smith's comeback. Gregory doesn't have a media personality behind his push to be reinstated. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If he doesn't, Goodell also knows Glazer will bring a whole lot of negative public attention to that decision since he's been touting Smith's comeback. Gregory doesn't have a media personality behind his push to be reinstated. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Exactly..............and Glazer is already out there talking up Aldon about how he ripped the bungee cord machine of the wall in the gym and how he is chiseled like a Greek god now.

If Aldon is not reinstated then Glazer is going to publicly question the decision and the league doesn't want that.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Goodell has 60 days. There is ZERO chance any decision will be made until those are almost over, if not on the last day.

I won't be surprised, if so. I doubt it's against the rules for him to act now but he'll wait as long as possible to make sure they behave.

Last edited:

Fmart322

Reaction score
I don't think he'll be nearly as dominant as he was prior to his issues.
I don't mind taking a chance but I don't think he's the answer we're looking for.
Hopefully im wrong.

Reaction score
I like how SJ reiterates multiple times that a decision should/would consider what's best for the player too. I don't know if Goodell thinks in those terms but if so, I cannot imagine how not reinstating them would be good for either

Creeper

Reaction score
Gregory is a far better player. It's really not even close. Not sure why you think it's time to move on from him. The reason for his suspensions doesn't exist any more.

My stipulation was "if they are close in competition". Gregory may have been a better player but we have no idea what he is now. The difference between Gregory and Aldon Smith is Smith seems to have moved beyond his problem. Gregory is still dealing with it. Just because the league changed the rules to allow Gregory to play with his problem does not mean the problem is not going to be a problem. If Gregory is smoking weed during the season it means his priorities are not in the right order. He also sets a bad example for the rest of the team.