Stephen Jones: calculated vp or lazy doofus

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone knew the real MO of Stephen. National media portrays Stephen as this VP with his finger on the pulse, and the real shot caller of the team who is heavily involved in the day to day. I was surprised to hear by some in the dfw media that he actually is pretty lazy and not involved with the team as much as he would like people to believe. I remember Jeff Cavanaugh saying something to the effect that he peddles the same rhetoric because he really doesn’t know what’s going on and just shows up when he needs to show up.

I was wondering if anyone has heard the same thing about Stephen. The more this team goes into despair the more I’m prone to believe the latter.
A few years back he said he would be willing to hire a GM.
I wonder if he still feels that way?
It's our only hope.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
I'm going to go with egotistical rich kid who's daddy runs the whole show and refuses to fire him regardless of how bad a job he's doing for 500 Alex.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
He's the real life Spaulding.

Caddyshack or Castaway version. Take your pick. It's the same.

*EDIT* Just occurred to me that the volleyball was named Wilson, not Spaulding. Still feel like this is a good analogy though.
Thanks for reminding me of Castaway. Great movie, need to see it again lol.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
The Jones boys posed for a family picture recently. I was able to get a copy of same to post here.

One the left is Jethro (GM) and on the right is Little Anus (President of Player Personnel.)
a41dEQ1_700b.jpg

2022 will be a great year with these experts in charge of the franchise. Just gaze at the intelligent looks on their faces.
That is classic! Makes me laugh every time I see it and think of Jerry and his spawn being them.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's play Who Wants To Be A Millionaire!

~insert dramatic music and strobing lightshow~

Which best describes Dallas Cowboys Vice-President of Player Personnel Stephen Jones? Is it:

A. Calculating
B. Lazy Doofus
C. Chemical Engineer graduate
D. Template for Rowdy the Mascot

DallasEast? Your answer?

"Well, I was going to say he is a lazy doofus but I never see him working in his office, so I can't be sure. And he always looks like he has been wolfing laughing gas whenever he's on camera, so I don't know if he is calculating...

I know he graduated with a degree in chemical engineering but did his daddy pay his alma mater to hand him a piece of paper? I just don't know...

I'm gonna say... template. Yes! Template for Rowdy the Mascot. Final answer..."

~more dramatic music and lights~

Sorry DallasEast. The correct answer was "all of the above."

"All of the above? There was no all of the above listed. What the"

That's it for tonight's show! And now a word from our sponsor Sleep Number. Sleep Number. Their goal is to improve lives by providing people with the best possible sleep every night but they can't heal a broken hand. Good night!

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
This Jones boys pile on is pathetic in this thread. This is why I hate Cowboys fans. You're no better than a pack of rats that gang up, overwhelm, and pick the carcass to the bone. Jerry is an excellent owner and better than most GMs. None of you seem to appreciate what you have in JJ. As for Stephen Jones, he has been groomed to fill his daddy's shoes his whole life. I have no doubt he will do a stellar job at that. He does know football and played football just as much as Jerry. He didn't win a National Championship in college but neither did Jerry, his team did. I'm aware some of you have trouble comprehending that concept but it still remains true. Football is the ultimate team sport and Stephen Jones is the ultimate example of successful nepotism... aside from Queen Elizabeth II, RIP. Who everyone seems to love.

3 playoff wins in 27 years - clearly you are not the least bit disturbed by that. Jerry loves fans like you who don't hold him accountable.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone knew the real MO of Stephen. National media portrays Stephen as this VP with his finger on the pulse, and the real shot caller of the team who is heavily involved in the day to day. I was surprised to hear by some in the dfw media that he actually is pretty lazy and not involved with the team as much as he would like people to believe. I remember Jeff Cavanaugh saying something to the effect that he peddles the same rhetoric because he really doesn’t know what’s going on and just shows up when he needs to show up.

I was wondering if anyone has heard the same thing about Stephen. The more this team goes into despair the more I’m prone to believe the latter.
Will he ever be fired? The answer to that should inform you about his work ethic

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
An owner that says 1+1=3, shouldn't be making decisions on how to operate a professional football team. That logic may work for business endeavors, but apparently doesn't work for professional football. And Stephen isn't any different.