Audio: Stephen Jones on 105.3 - Interesting Micah Question On Holding

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

Stumbled across this video/audio on the team from a day or so ago. Standard questions about Dak, and Pollard being the featured back, ect.

But at the 6:51 mark of this interview, Stephen is asked about Micah being held on every play. This was part of his reply.

"We all know those officials, it’s known in coaching that they can’t call a penalty on every play."

So let me see if I have this right.

Let's say Micah is being held on 35% of the plays he rushes the QB.

This means an infraction of the rules is committed on one third of the plays against Micah Parsons that involve his rushing the passer. Yet the refs only call it once or twice a game because.........

...they can’t call a penalty on every play.

What in blue blazes is that kind of answer? We all know the rules governing the passing game were styled in a way where the offense has a distinct advantage. This is to promote scoring because the football fan of today has such a short attention span they would turn the channel if it were simply a defensive battle with the final results sounding like a baseball score.

So the league cannot find a way to stop Micah from ripping the other team a new arse, which gives Dallas a monumental advantage. Because the fans would be irritated at the stoppage of play - one would assume.

(Frankly I would be twerking in my living room in a ballet tutu, and pasties if the offense was called on holding every time they did so against Micah.)

But what the money man for the Cowboys has stated, out loud, is that the league has to even the playing field for offense sake, and ignore the skill set of the best defender in the league.

There have been people suggesting the game works toward a predetermined outcome. I have not believed that.

What do YOU make of this revelation from Little Anus?

phildadon86

Reaction score

Stumbled across this video/audio on the team from a day or so ago. Standard questions about Dak, and Pollard being the featured back, ect.

But at the 6:51 mark of this interview, Stephen is asked about Micah being held on every play. This was part of his reply.

"We all know those officials, it’s known in coaching that they can’t call a penalty on every play."

This means an infraction of the rules is committed on one third of the plays against Micah Parsons that involve his rushing the passer. Yet the refs only call it once or twice a game because.........

What in blue blazes is that kind of answer? We all know the rules governing the passing game were styled in a way where the offense has a distinct advantage. This is to promote scoring because the football fan of today has such a short attention span they would turn the channel if it were simply a defensive battle with the final results sounding like a baseball score.

So the league cannot find a way to stop Micah from ripping the other team a new arse, which gives Dallas a monumental advantage. Because the fans would be irritated at the stoppage of play - one would assume.

(Frankly I would be twerking in my living room in a ballet tutu, and pasties if the offense was called on holding every time they did so against Micah.)

But what the money man for the Cowboys has stated, out loud, is that the league has to even the playing field for offense sake, and ignore the skill set of the best defender in the league.

There have been people suggesting the game works toward a predetermined outcome. I have not believed that.

Get ready for less calls. LOL

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I recall Seattle using this line of thinking to their advantage being ultra aggressive in the secondary. They still may be doing it, but I remember it being a thing a few years ago.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It would get tedious to have holding calls on 33% of the plays Micah's in, but then at what point does the OL just stop holding and take their chances that the QB gets rid of the ball before Micah drops him?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

The simply answer is yes, there is holding on every play, but the officials are only going to call ones they feel are flagrant or directly affect the play, etc. Stephen is correct in what he says. It's the same with illegal contact in the secondary. The officials could essentially call it every down but that would just destroy the game.

My only problem is the inconsistency. Sometimes a flagrant hold is overlooked while a ticky-tack hold is called. When they are inconsistent, then it brings out complaints of favoritism. Same thing when one team has 10 penalties while the other team has two. If they could call something on every play, then why don't they balance their calls better? Obviously, you can't tell the officials that you have to keep the penalties even, but there needs to be an understanding that penalties affect the game, so be aware when you seem to be favoring one team over another. When teams get called for a lot of penalties, it's human nature to go into a game expecting them to commit penalties. Officials need to fight against that to make sure they are not letting it bias them.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don’t the statement of Stephen is mean to just apply to Micah.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I don’t the statement of Stephen is mean to just apply to Micah.

I see you didn't listen to the audio, or you would have understood what Micah has been saying and how it applies. True, Jones was speaking in a generality of the league. However, it is apparent Micah is being held on a regular basis.

That arm bar across the chest while holding the other shoulder pad is a primary complaint I have about how they block Micah. That should be called EVERY time. It is surely called against Dallas quite often. Especially last year when Williams was the left guard.

But the right tackle of teams, and not just the Lions, gets beat by Micah shamelessly, and that technique, or how the blocking ends up because of Micah's abilities, seems to be multiple times per game. Yet that specific arm bar is routinely ignored by the refs.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Been saying it for what seems like forever and a day, if they called every holding violation vs Parsons it would be at least 4-5 per game, and the league simply can not allow that type of lopsided favoritism.
You can have a stud on your team, but we will make sure that all teams are able to compete vs you.
Thats the league stance, esp if superstar is wearing the Star.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I am baffled you are confused by this statement. Its very straight forward. And that applies to every team. So again, nothing to see here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Best part of this whole interview is Jones admitting finally after 3+ years that the Cowboys are better off with the Zeke and Pollard splitting carries instead of Zeke dominating the carries.

In other words................................More pollard and less Zeke from what it has been is the best way to go.

GAME, SET, MATCH!!!!

That discussion is now OVER!!!

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I am baffled you are confused by this statement. Its very straight forward. And that applies to every team. So again, nothing to see here.

I am not baffled, nor confused at all. I understand the premise. My concern is the fact Micah is clearly held, and no amount of, "we can't call a foul on every play," is merely the steaming nuggets falling from a tall bull's arse."

Either it is a penalty worthy of calling out, and applying a punitive results to the offending team, or when this type of penalty has failed to be expressed, it is arbitrary and capricious.

And, it decides the outcome of games. I submit that fuming pile offered up when Brady was sacked, and it garnered a penalty which it possibly changed the outcome of the game. The Carr sack also decided that contest.

Granted, these are not holding penalties, but both are of like significance where the outcome could be altered, when at previous times in the contest, a non-call for the opponent could have changed the possibility of results at the end of the game where the call made would not decide the winner.

I accept the flag on the Cowboys for holding, because that is the rules. I have a difficult time just accepting, "go along to get along," in this instance.

If Micah was some spare who routinely posts 5 sacks a season, then this is no big whoop. But this player could reset the record for sacks in a season, and the temperamental nature of the holding call at his level is a travesty of gargantuan proportions.

And let's hear from you if and when a lack of holding penalty against the man blocking Micah means the Cowboys lose the NFC Championship game. I bet we have a much different dialog then. (/indignation)

khiladi

Reaction score
I see you didn't listen to the audio, or you would have understood what Micah has been saying and how it applies. True, Jones was speaking in a generality of the league. However, it is apparent Micah is being held on a regular basis.

That arm bar across the chest while holding the other shoulder pad is a primary complaint I have about how they block Micah. That should be called EVERY time. It is surely called against Dallas quite often. Especially last year when Williams was the left guard.

But the right tackle of teams, and not just the Lions, gets beat by Micah shamelessly, and that technique, or how the blocking ends up because of Micah's abilities, seems to be multiple times per game. Yet that specific arm bar is routinely ignored by the refs.

I didn’t say anything about whether Micah’s comments are valid or not, just what Stephen Jones probably meant.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I am not baffled, nor confused at all. I understand the premise. My concern is the fact Micah is clearly held, and no amount of, "we can't call a foul on every play," is merely the steaming nuggets falling from a tall bull's arse."

Either it is a penalty worthy of calling out, and applying a punitive results to the offending team, or when this type of penalty has failed to be expressed, it is arbitrary and capricious.

And, it decides the outcome of games. I submit that fuming pile offered up when Brady was sacked, and it garnered a penalty which it possibly changed the outcome of the game. The Carr sack also decided that contest.

Granted, these are not holding penalties, but both are of like significance where the outcome could be altered, when at previous times in the contest, a non-call for the opponent could have changed the possibility of results at the end of the game where the call made would not decide the winner.

I accept the flag on the Cowboys for holding, because that is the rules. I have a difficult time just accepting, "go along to get along," in this instance.

If Micah was some spare who routinely posts 5 sacks a season, then this is no big whoop. But this player could reset the record for sacks in a season, and the temperamental nature of the holding call at his level is a travesty of gargantuan proportions.

And let's hear from you if and when a lack of holding penalty against the man blocking Micah means the Cowboys lose the NFC Championship game. I bet we have a much different dialog then. (/indignation)

But what your not getting is its not just Parsons. Its every great pass rusher in the NFL is getting held every play and they arent calling it. So it comes around and goes around.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Legion of Boom used that philosophy. They held and committed Pi excessively to the point the refs quit calling it because the league office said the games were taking to long...

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
But what your not getting is its not just Parsons. Its every great pass rusher in the NFL is getting held every play and they arent calling it. So it comes around and goes around.

I get that. But that is still the problem. If the great ones are being penalized because the offense can't keep them out of the backfield and off their QB, and the league just looks the other way, then what else is the league doing to control the outcome of the game?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The simply answer is yes, there is holding on every play, but the officials are only going to call ones they feel are flagrant or directly affect the play, etc. Stephen is correct in what he says. It's the same with illegal contact in the secondary. The officials could essentially call it every down but that would just destroy the game.

My only problem is the inconsistency. Sometimes a flagrant hold is overlooked while a ticky-tack hold is called. When they are inconsistent, then it brings out complaints of favoritism. Same thing when one team has 10 penalties while the other team has two. If they could call something on every play, then why don't they balance their calls better? Obviously, you can't tell the officials that you have to keep the penalties even, but there needs to be an understanding that penalties affect the game, so be aware when you seem to be favoring one team over another. When teams get called for a lot of penalties, it's human nature to go into a game expecting them to commit penalties. Officials need to fight against that to make sure they are not letting it bias them.
Cover his neck with red lipstick. Once the OTs are covered in red it will be hard to not call it...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I get that. But that is still the problem. If the great ones are being penalized because the offense can't keep them out of the backfield and off their QB, and the league just looks the other way, then what else is the league doing to control the outcome of the game?

Sure, but its a league wide problem. So it works out for everyone equally.

mahoneybill

Reaction score

Call it twice in a game and it will stop

real weasel excuse by stephen

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
man , it would be nice if Stephen never talked to the media .

:facepalm: you;re the owner stephy ... gosh darn , move your bum and make the refs do their jobs !!