Stephen Jones On Free Agency

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
What are we doing here though? Trying to be the safest team?

We've robot'd ourselves up nicely with Garrett. We are a well oiled mediocrity machine.

At some point we have to do something to add to the roster and get this thing over the top.

We have no first round pick and even really good rookies like Michael Gallup can only contribute so much.

If they want to pass on the Golden Tates of the world then so be it but Earl Thomas was a risk that could have us playing championship defense and sets the bar high for our players and fan base.

The Cowboys are not sending a message to our team or fan base that is raising the bar.
If not EThomas then go right to the source and sign Eric Berry to an incentive laden deal

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What are we doing here though? Trying to be the safest team?

We've robot'd ourselves up nicely with Garrett. We are a well oiled mediocrity machine.

At some point we have to do something to add to the roster and get this thing over the top.

We have no first round pick and even really good rookies like Michael Gallup can only contribute so much.

If they want to pass on the Golden Tates of the world then so be it but Earl Thomas was a risk that could have us playing championship defense and sets the bar high for our players and fan base.

The Cowboys are not sending a message to our team or fan base that is raising the bar.

We have no 1st rd because we spent it on a young stud WR, I don't have an issue handing out a big pay day to a young player who is capable of playing for the next few years in Dallas. I do not care to pay guys on the downhill side of their career prime money.

Falco78

Reaction score
Stephen Jones only qualification for his job, is that Jerry decided to not pull out, the night he was conceived.

So to be honest, Stephen has a lot to prove until I trust his thoughts and ideas on how to build an NFL football team.
Most accurate post of this forum!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If not EThomas then go right to the source and sign Eric Berry to an incentive laden deal

Berry at a decent price I would have no issue but would not make the mistake KC made handing out big money as they did and why they have released him. Is he the same Berry of 3 or 4 years ago? no but at a decent price and incentive laden sure that could be a good pickup. I feel the same with Thomas, is he the same player he once was? No I don't think so which is why I would not pay top 5 money for a guy I feel is no longer a top 5 player. If you believe Thomas to be a top player in this league then sure I could see justification of paying him big but on the other hand if you feel he is no longer that player then it would be foolish to pay out that contract. It really comes down to what your view of that player is for it to make sense or not

coult44

Reaction score
Then why tell everyone a month ago that we would be “aggressive” in free agency?

I've heard and read almost every thing out there regarding Cowboys and FA. I never heard anyone say they'd be aggressive.Most of us were PO'd that they said the opposite. Where did you hear this?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I've heard and read almost every thing out there regarding Cowboys and FA. I never heard anyone say they'd be aggressive.Most of us were PO'd that they said the opposite. Where did you hear this?
A lot of it was implied, but a lot of people fell for the concept that they are "all in" which in their minds included being more aggressive in free agency outside the organization.

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
This was actually a good article. I knew the bust rates were high but I didn't realize only 30-40% of high-end players reach their previous production even in their first year.

This team has made attempts to spend big money on key FA before, case and point the bullet they dodged last year when Watkins signed with the Chiefs instead of the Cowboys. The idea that they never attempt to sign high end FA is wrong, but they are much more cautious than they used to be.

No superbowls but I would say the overall talent level of the team has been consistently higher since we shifted to the more cautious approach.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
30 years old for a great safety is still prime years.

He'll be great for another 3 or 4 years.

His health is a concern but take a risk. We are fine taking risks on players that who are so fragile they can't even stop smoking but a guy who is a hard nosed football player is too much of a risk? Come on.
You still *****ing about Thomas?

JayFord

Reaction score
Ummmmm vontaz Burfict has been released

I’m just saying if I was running the show he’d be a cowboy by 4pm

Cowfan75

Reaction score
So we are in "win it all" mode, yet it's still a "process"? Lol

Listening to Stephen talk, it's clear he likes to talk out his you-know-what just like Jerry, and he will likely be every bit as incompetent as Jerry.

John813

Reaction score
Ummmmm vontaz Burfict has been released

I’m just saying if I was running the show he’d be a cowboy by 4pm

He should call it quits with all the injuries/concussions he had. Besides, refs watch him with a hand on the flag any time he goes to hit the runner.

LittleD

Reaction score
The Cowboys are ignoring their own history. Their 1990s team was built on the draft AND acquiring players through trades and free agency. They needed a pass rush and they got Haley. They needed a CB and they signed Deion Sanders. I agree that its tought to build a team through free agency, but using it to acquire one or two players to get a team like Dallas over the hump is a good strategy.

Those were entirely completely time periods where their was not salary cap and owner's who wanted to could pay any amount they wanted. Those days are over forever. Lot's teams try and spend their way to a SB every year and one of the teams that get there every year doesn't. They have Belicheat and Brady. The B boys get it done on the cheap.

JayFord

Reaction score
He should call it quits with all the injuries/concussions he had. Besides, refs watch him with a hand on the flag any time he goes to hit the runner.

They do that for all members of Dallas as well

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure how the argument can be made that the "good teams" don't spend in free agency when you have Philly and LA appearing in the last 2 super bowls.