Twitter: Stephen Jones on The Fan - 09/16/13

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 12m
Stephen Jones on radio on Claiborne: We think he made a helluva play. The official called the flag. We think it was close, a debatable call

Stephen Jones on radio said Dez Bryant struggled with back spasms in the 2nd half against the Chiefs. He doesnt think it's a long-term worry

Stephen Jones on the radio said: "We had a chance to get that game and didn’t get it done. We have to get better." #DallasCowboys

Stephen Jones said on radio Tony Romo seemed to have issues throwing to his left the second half. But he is not the reason the Cowboys lost

coult44

Reaction score
Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 12m
Stephen Jones on radio on Claiborne: We think he made a helluva play. The official called the flag. We think it was close, a debatable call

Stephen Jones on radio said Dez Bryant struggled with back spasms in the 2nd half against the Chiefs. He doesnt think it's a long-term worry

Stephen Jones on the radio said: "We had a chance to get that game and didn’t get it done. We have to get better." #DallasCowboys

Stephen Jones said on radio Tony Romo seemed to have issues throwing to his left the second half. But he is not the reason the Cowboys lost

DUMB---Mo should have let him catch the dang ball and then touch him. He was 4-5 yards away from a first down. Horrible coaching on that play.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DUMB---Mo should have let him catch the dang ball and then touch him. He was 4-5 yards away from a first down. Horrible coaching on that play.

I can't blame coaching on that play.

I guess that technically it was a penalty but i'm shocked that the refs would call that with the game on the line.

I doubt very seriously we would see Pitt, New England, Denver, or a team like that get called for something so ticky tacky.

No way if you're the ref can you let that decide the game imo.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Prepare for at least 30 more years of Stephen. He is becoming more like his old man everyday :(

But can he give us some classic soundbites and video clips like him??

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FWIW, JG said the opposite in his presser today. He said the Mo penalty was a good call, and the right call in that situation, and that Mo needs to do a better job not being too aggressive there.

dstovall5

Reaction score
FWIW, JG said the opposite in his presser today. He said the Mo penalty was a good call, and the right call in that situation, and that Mo needs to do a better job not being too aggressive there.

He's an idiot if he truly believes that, and regardless he shouldn't say that about such a close call. He should stick up for his guy and back him up 100%. We are talking about JG here though, so It doesn't shock me one bit.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's an idiot if he truly believes that, and regardless he shouldn't say that about such a close call. He should stick up for his guy and back him up 100%. We are talking about JG here though, so It doesn't shock me one bit.

You're entitled to your opinion. Personally, I'd prefer he call it like he sees is and instruct the players appropriately based off of what he believes he sees. Personally, I think it was an unbelievably ticky-tacky call that changed the outcome of the game, but there was contact there to justify the laundry.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 12m Stephen Jones said on radio Tony Romo seemed to have issues throwing to his left the second half. But he is not the reason the Cowboys lost

Lets see.. he audibles out of a goal line one on one with Dez to a play that has zero chance of getting us in the end zone, many of his down the field throws were off, when he has defenders in hot pursuit he tries to plant his feet and make a throw leading to a crucial turnover, and now we are hearing he had issues throwing to his left? He is not "the" reason we lost but he sure as hell played a role in our loss.

kevm3

Reaction score
Mo needs to be less aggressive? Thankfully Garrett doesn't have a hold on the defense then. I'd much rather have an aggressive corner. If Mo doesn't react like that and his guy catches the ball, we're going to hear about how Mo isn't covering well. He made a play on the ball, which is what he should do. The problem is no consistency with the refs. Dez has a guy draped all over his back, knocking the ball away against the Giants and the first time no call, and the second time was an extremely late call, as if they are hesitating to call it.... but Mo knocks the ball away from the side with negligible contact and they call that at a deciding moment in the game?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Mo needs to be less aggressive? Thankfully Garrett doesn't have a hold on the defense then. I'd much rather have an aggressive corner. If Mo doesn't react like that and his guy catches the ball, we're going to hear about how Mo isn't covering well. He made a play on the ball, which is what he should do. The problem is no consistency with the refs. Dez has a guy draped all over his back, knocking the ball away against the Giants and the first time no call, and the second time was an extremely late call, as if they are hesitating to call it.... but Mo knocks the ball away from the side with negligible contact and they call that at a deciding moment in the game?

For all the media bluster about the replacement refs, I actually don't see much of a difference a year later with the "real" refs.

sbark

Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion. Personally, I'd prefer he call it like he sees is and instruct the players appropriately based off of what he believes he sees. Personally, I think it was an unbelievably ticky-tacky call that changed the outcome of the game, but there was contact there to justify the laundry.

....long term problem is the he doesn't "work the refs".......he doesn't even plant a seed of doubt in the refs minds they were wrong, the next set will be just as lax, or lean toward the other team because JG doesn't give them a alternative view of their call. Gotta think the refs for the next game watch the tape of the teams coming up previous game.

rcaldw

Reaction score

I think what Garrett does it calls it like it is and that irks some people. I'm glad he does it.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Mo overplayed that and set himself up. You play there to stop the first down. The WR was falling down to catch the ball and we had more defenders behind him. Even if he caught it he would have been stopped way short of the first. I do understand Mo's instincts there and I think the call was debatable. But in that situation you don't take the chance

rcaldw

Reaction score
Have you noticed something? Because I have. Have you noticed that Jerry never attributes a loss to the other team having better talent? He always attributes the loss to better coaching on the other side. Now, I'm not arguing that Kansas City has the better players. I don't think they do. But I find it interesting that Jerry never criticizes the job THAT HE IS IN CHARGE OF. Oh, he will do it in a grand sweeping kind of way, a way that makes him look like he accepts responsibility for the overall outcome of things. But he is never publicly self-examining about his specific job as GM. My opinion is that our talent has been overrated for years. I think we have some outstanding players and that our talent is getting better and better with the reworking of the roster. I attribute that to Garrett's influence and all the new coaches they have brought in. I think these guys are making good player decisions of late. But I just find it interesting that Jerry never seems to look in the mirror in a way that would say, "Man, I'm just not very good at this." I still feel good about this season. I think we have a good team this year. Romo has to get healthy and he has to play better. Play calling has to improve and we have to run the ball. I think those things will happen.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think what Garrett does it calls it like it is and that irks some people. I'm glad he does it.

Yep. Or maybe, no matter what he calls is going to irk some people.

Overall, Garrett's remarkably composed in his pressers. Win or lose. His attitude did seem a little different this week. He was less patient, maybe. Maybe he's trying to use his new position to be more demanding about all areas of the team to hold them all more accountable. Maybe he's irritated at the play calling and having it out of his hands. Maybe he was just annoyed by the questions or he's disappointed after reviewing the game film that we let a winnable road game get away. It's tough to say what it is. At the same time, I don't think there's any particularly deep meaning behind it, either. It's just his attitude at this one press conference.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Mo overplayed that and set himself up. You play there to stop the first down. The WR was falling down to catch the ball and we had more defenders behind him. Even if he caught it he would have been stopped way short of the first. I do understand Mo's instincts there and I think the call was debatable. But in that situation you don't take the chance
In that situation, a ref has to put the flag away. You can't make ticky-tack calls in such important spots, and its happening more and more where the refs are just having way too much of an influence on the game.

Was it PI, possibly, but did it really make a big difference, no, and should it have been called, absolutely not. The refs are getting too much of a free pass on this gaffe.