Stephen Jones, Rod Marinelli are excited about one particular defensive undrafted free agent

waving monkey

Reaction score
IRVING -- After a press conference last Wednesday at The Star in Frisco, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones was asked about the undrafted rookie free agents participating in the team's rookie minicamp.

Pressed to name a player he's excited about, Jones finally gave one up: Rodney Coe, a defensive tackle from the University of Akron.

Although Coe went undrafted, he was a player the Cowboys had on their board, meaning he could've easily been their seventh-round pick. But they did not have one.

"There are reasons he didn't get drafted," Jones said. "But he certainly has a lot of ability and I think a coach like Rod Marinelli will do wonders for him in terms of his up and down career. We will give him some stability. He certainly has all the ability and all the skills. It's just getting his mind around being a football player and being accountable and doing what it takes to be successful. But he certainly has the ability."

Coe said Friday that it's a "great feeling" and "very humbling" to hear praise from Jones.

Coe was one of the Cowboys' 29 pre-draft visitors, so he knew there was serious interest. The 6-3, 305-pound former running back also had pre-draft visits with the Kansas City Chiefs and Green Bay Packers.

link/http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...one-particular-defensive-undrafted-free-agent

Hoofbite

Reaction score
"Really it came down to the Patriots or Cowboys, who I knew was really going to give me a shot," Coe said. "My agent had called me and told me the deal, that the Cowboys wanted me to come here. And he knew from my visit that I wanted to be a Cowboy. And so the Patriots called me and said 'We know you want to be a Cowboy, but you should think about us.'

Interesting.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ken Bishop 2.0

Bishop was short with short arms and couldn't overcome those measureables. This guy seems to have the talent. He was originally at Iowa St like David Irving. Both were kicked off the team. Patriots also tried to sign Coe.

nfl.com

Ken Bishop
GRADE
6'0" 301
  • 32 3/4"ARM LENGTH
  • 9 1/2"HANDS
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Powerfully built with a good base. Good playing strength to dig cleats in the dirt and anchor vs. the run. Stout enough to handle the double team. Proven two-gap ability. Flashes shock in his hands and sheds quickly. Plays with urgency and is very active in pursuit. Has been very durable and adjusted well to expectations upon his arrival from community college.
WEAKNESSES
Lacks ideal height and length. Is not an explosive pass rusher. Unrefined pass-rush arsenal. Only produced 3.5 sacks the last two years as a starter. Average closing speed and short-area burst. Has stiffness in his body. Could become more consistent feeling blocking pressure.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Priority free agent
BOTTOM LINE
Possesses the point-of-attack strength and football temperament to be a factor defending the run in a rotational role.

Rodney Coe
GRADE
6'3" 305

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Former running back now living in the body of a defensive tackle. Thick bubble with good, natural strength in lower half. Loose hips allow him to turn and flip over the edge of blockers. Has traits to become a significantly better pass rusher with more work. Flashes above average quickness of snap with shots in the gaps. Excellent change of direction talent with scary pursuit speed for a big guy. Fluid athlete with good lateral movement skills down the line. Plays nose and three-technique.
WEAKNESSES
Knock-knee build that will be off-putting to some scouts. Legs have unusual bend and turn when firing out of stance. Inconsistent with hand usage. Lacks cohesive plan as pass rusher. Needs to find a pet move and then set it up. Production would improve with better conditioning. Played at three schools over three years. Dismissed from Iowa State and admits to a lack of effort and discipline while there. Concerns over maturity and work ethic are real. Recovering from sports hernia injury. Pad level needs to improve for leverage purposes.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 6 or 7
BOTTOM LINE
Coe has the size and quickness that could be very appealing for a 1gap oriented defense looking for a late-round prospect to groom. Coe's athleticism is undeniable, but he doesn't always translate it into a more consistent pass rush. Beyond that, his draft stock could be determined by how teams view his maturity and character.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
"It's just getting his mind around being a football player and being accountable and doing what it takes to be successful."
That should worry stevie not excite him?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There re always 1 or 2 that come out of these camps like this. The team and media, then the fans get excited over. Which is good in its own way.
Some will go overboard with it, some won't. Some will wait and see. But this is good, it creates some excitement and players to watch in TC.

Can he push someone like T. McClain, who is often injured and in the last year of his contract. Or if just misses, can he be stashed on the PS without some team signing him.

I like seeing this, because to me in means the scouts did a good job, and he has a hard time making the team, but can be on ps, it means we have some depth or seem too.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
IRVING -- After a press conference last Wednesday at The Star in Frisco, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones was asked about the undrafted rookie free agents participating in the team's rookie minicamp.

Pressed to name a player he's excited about, Jones finally gave one up: Rodney Coe, a defensive tackle from the University of Akron.

Although Coe went undrafted, he was a player the Cowboys had on their board, meaning he could've easily been their seventh-round pick. But they did not have one.

"There are reasons he didn't get drafted," Jones said. "But he certainly has a lot of ability and I think a coach like Rod Marinelli will do wonders for him in terms of his up and down career. We will give him some stability. He certainly has all the ability and all the skills. It's just getting his mind around being a football player and being accountable and doing what it takes to be successful. But he certainly has the ability."

Coe said Friday that it's a "great feeling" and "very humbling" to hear praise from Jones.

Coe was one of the Cowboys' 29 pre-draft visitors, so he knew there was serious interest. The 6-3, 305-pound former running back also had pre-draft visits with the Kansas City Chiefs and Green Bay Packers.

link/http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...one-particular-defensive-undrafted-free-agent

Yep..

I mentioned this in another thread but go watch the training camp live video from day 2..

All they are doing is hitting the bags but when Rodney Coe hits the bag it's just different.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Coe was out of shape on that training camp live. They did bag drills 4 times and he was bent over and unable to catch wind. This isn't baseball or bowling.

Agree that he is out of shape but he brought the hammer to those bags haha.

Who knows if he can play or not but he passes the shirts and shorts eye test.