Recap: Stephen Jones Show - 11 Praise, Dak, Tyron Smith, La'el Backing Up Dak, and more

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Your next GM and Owner:
  • No, not guaranteeing the division. It's not over until it's mathematically over.
  • I think Dak is playing well, but I also think he can play better. We have high expectations - certainly the fanbase, media and the organization. We expect no picks, 80% completion, move around and make plays, and you get used to that. Right now it's not all flowing right, but there's not a question in my mind with his work ethic and competitiveness that he will get it to where everyone wants it. The bottom line is that his expectations of himself are higher than anyone else. If that's our biggest problem, I feel good, and it will get fixed.
  • Commanders had a great gameplan on defense and we had challenges at times to move the ball.
  • Great things happened for our team on the defense yesterday. Backend always easier when the frontend going well.
  • The distribution was good - Amari, CeeDee, Gallup. A lot of things went well, but there's a lot of things to improve still.
  • To some degree, yes, yesterday is how we envisioned the defense. It's hard to have expected though what #11 is doing. All the things he's been asked to do. Who would have though he could digest that lining up in all those positions. He has exceeded all expectations. But putting all those guys together - Gregory, DWare, Gallimore - we did have visions of that group making those types of plays. Hats off to Coaches Mike and Dan.
  • If you win the turnover battle, good chance you will win the game, and they are doing it.
  • We had a slow start in the return game. Tried three guys. Coach John's answer for you might be the hot hand plays as the returner. Jerry and I commented on it yesterday that it's the most rotation we've seen through that position in a while. We're fortunate to have a group of three that can all field it.
  • No update on Tyron Smith. But you always hate to see him limp off the field because he's so key to the offense. Will know more by end of day. (Has since been confirmed Tyron is out against Giants)
  • Coaches wanted to give Connor McGovern every opportunity, but they will be evaluating the LG situation this week. We're fortunate we have 8-9 guys that can go in and play for us, but the coaches want some cohesiveness going into Playoffs and will be talking about it.
  • La'el Collins hit.... it can cost you. But Dak is our leader, and La'el felt like it went too far. No different than Hooker's hit on the sideline. Bang-bang situation. I really like him running over and taking up for Dak, but at the same time you have to be careful because it can cost you a ballgame if you're not careful. Have to pick your spots but nothing but respect for La'el protecting his QB.
  • Pollard, no word yet. Great trainers, we'll see what the week brings. We thought Pollard was close to playing yesterday. We took him out there to watch and then made the decision not to play him.
  • The benches? Anything that has a Cowboys logo on it makes me smile, I'll leave it at that.
  • A Cardinals loss would certainly help us if we could take care of our own business.
  • Dorance Armstrong 16th player to score a TD? Who will be the newest player? #11 would be my bet. It would be outstanding to watch him do it as he beats the rookie sack record.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Your next GM and Owner:
  • No, not guaranteeing the division. It's not over until it's mathematically over.
  • I think Dak is playing well, but I also think he can play better. We have high expectations - certainly the fanbase, media and the organization. We expect no picks, 80% completion, move around and make plays, and you get used to that. Right now it's not all flowing right, but there's not a question in my mind with his work ethic and competitiveness that he will get it to where everyone wants it. The bottom line is that his expectations of himself are higher than anyone else. If that's our biggest problem, I feel good, and it will get fixed.
  • Football Team had a great gameplan on defense and we had challenges at times to move the ball.
  • Great things happened for our team on the defense yesterday. Backend always easier when the frontend going well.
  • The distribution was good - Amari, CeeDee, Gallup. A lot of things went well, but there's a lot of things to improve still.
  • To some degree, yes, yesterday is how we envisioned the defense. It's hard to have expected though what #11 is doing. All the things he's been asked to do. Who would have though he could digest that lining up in all those positions. He has exceeded all expectations. But putting all those guys together - Gregory, DWare, Gallimore - we did have visions of that group making those types of plays. Hats off to Coaches Mike and Dan.
  • If you win the turnover battle, good chance you will win the game, and they are doing it.
  • We had a slow start in the return game. Tried three guys. Coach John's answer for you might be the hot hand plays as the returner. Jerry and I commented on it yesterday that it's the most rotation we've seen through that position in a while. We're fortunate to have a group of three that can all field it.
  • No update on Tyron Smith. But you always hate to see him limp off the field because he's so key to the offense. Will know more by end of day. (Has since been confirmed Tyron is out against Giants)
  • Coaches wanted to give Connor McGovern every opportunity, but they will be evaluating the LG situation this week. We're fortunate we have 8-9 guys that can go in and play for us, but the coaches want some cohesiveness going into Playoffs and will be talking about it.
  • La'el Collins hit.... it can cost you. But Dak is our leader, and La'el felt like it went too far. No different than Hooker's hit on the sideline. Bang-bang situation. I really like him running over and taking up for Dak, but at the same time you have to be careful because it can cost you a ballgame if you're not careful. Have to pick your spots but nothing but respect for La'el protecting his QB.
  • Pollard, no word yet. Great trainers, we'll see what the week brings. We thought Pollard was close to playing yesterday. We took him out there to watch and then made the decision not to play him.
  • The benches? Anything that has a Cowboys logo on it makes me smile, I'll leave it at that.
  • A Cardinals loss would certainly help us if we could take care of our own business.
  • Dorance Armstrong 16th player to score a TD? Who will be the newest player? #11 would be my bet. It would be outstanding to watch him do it as he beats the rookie sack record.

I love Jerry! Good stuff, thanks for sharing

plymkr

Reaction score
First off thanks for the recap, I appreciate it. I'm a little bothered by SJ saying Dak is playing well. Playing well for who? The other team? I do agree that Dak has the work ethic and competitiveness to get straight so I'm not as worried about that. It just makes SJ sound stupid to say that Dak is playing well. I feel Dak and the offensive line will be in sync by playoff time.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
First off thanks for the recap, I appreciate it. I'm a little bothered by SJ saying Dak is playing well. Playing well for who? The other team? I do agree that Dak has the work ethic and competitiveness to get straight so I'm not as worried about that. It just makes SJ sound stupid to say that Dak is playing well. I feel Dak and the offensive line will be in sync by playoff time.

He is being professional. Making it clear he's not playing to contract expectations, but not dogging him publicly in the media which would lose the players.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
"......but the coaches want some cohesiveness going into Playoffs and will be talking about it." I like this statement. One thing they need to do is stop shuffling players around. They should know by now who can play the position and give them game time to get better before the playoffs. Park the guys who suck on the practice squad.
Also, pick the backup left tackle now and bench Tyron for the rest of the regular season, this way the guy might be ready for when Tyron goes out again in the playoffs.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Unless I missed something, there was no mention of KM's offense.

I fall into the camp that agrees Dak is struggling, but also acknowledges that KM's offense has become stale and predictable.