Twitter: Stephen Jones: "The cap is a real thing."

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Didn't we just like clear a billion dollars or so of cap space in the last two years? How are we the only team in any sport who has this issue annually?

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
Not sure that I agree with you. The key is generally who do you want to pay and how much. Most teams figure out which players they believe are going to be worth the big price and which ones are not. For instance, we let Byron Jones go because he was going to be one of the more sought-after FAs and his cost wasn't going to equal his production. Obviously, the front office believed differently about Lawrence, Elliott and Cooper.

The tough decisions are determining whether the FAs we have are worth the going rate. If Schultz, for example, is considered one of the top TEs on the market, he may be too costly to retain compared to expected production.
Do you think Zeek, D-Law ,Cooper, Dak , Smith get those deals anywhere else? I understand what you are saying but I think that applies to other teams not the Cowboys. The Cowboys overpay a few guys so reality is they have to settle for bargain bin players to fill out the rest of the roster. Elliots contract might be the worst league wide.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Do you think Zeek, D-Law ,Cooper, Dak , Smith get those deals anywhere else? I understand what you are saying but I think that applies to other teams not the Cowboys. The Cowboys overpay a few guys so reality is they have to settle for bargain bin players to fill out the rest of the roster. Elliots contract might be the worst league wide.

Yes, I do. In fact, Cooper reportedly got offered more by Washington than he got from us. Contrary to how some here feel about the Joneses, I do not think they make their offers in a vacuum. I think league front offices talk, so they have a pretty good idea what the going rate is. I also think agents have a good idea as well, so they are not going to allow their players to be underpaid.

When Lawrence got his contract, he was considered one of the top DEs in the league coming off back-to-back 10-plus-sack seasons, and Khalil Mack had just been traded to Chicago and received a six-year, $141-million deal. Lawrence received a five-year, $105-million deal, which is about where he should have expected to be slotted except by unrealistic fans. His total guaranteed money was $65 million compared to $90 million for Mack, who was paid the year after he totaled 10.5 sacks, same as Lawrence before he got his new deal. The year after Lawrence signed his deal, the Browns signed Myles Garrett to a five-year, $125-million deal, with $100 million guaranteed. Garrett totaled 10 sacks the year before he got his new contract (but only played in 10 games). You could say those players had proven more than Lawrence as pass rushers, but Lawrence's two-year sack total heading into his new contract was 25 compared to 21.5 for Mack and 22 for Garrett (although both Mack and Garrett had reached double digits their previous years).

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
It’s like monkeys were given an NFL franchise to run.
giphy.gif

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
.......and Zeke released? Send him to KC or Ravens
Heading to a 9-8 season, brace yourselves.

He won’t be because the dead money would be huge. He’s the following year. Don’t disagree on the record though

basel90

Reaction score
It appears there are cap casualties coming. Who might they be?

Then Stephen , why did you overpay a bum like zeke and then guaranteed his 2022 contract ?
Why did you overpay Dak , DLaw , etc etc .
Stop the insanity !!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Doesn't seem to bother the Rams one bit. They trade for, free agent, sign the best players and never have salary cap issues, and more importantly, they've won because of it. Stephen should go learn from them.
When they overpaid their RB, they dumped him.
When they overpaid their QB, they traded him away for a better one.
They let players walk and signed AShaun, von Miller, S Williams, Corbett, Robert Woods, all good players.

CWR

Reaction score
We keep Kearse, Dlaw and maybe trade Coop. I'd rather keep him though. They will restructure and let some guys go. The cap will continue to inflate and we will be fine. Maybe we lose Schultz. Gallup was gone the moment we turned in CDs name. Whatever.

We could push it further down the road, but this team isn't good enough to make rash decisions thinking keeping the band together will win a chip. Who exactly are yall so afraid of losing?