Stephen Jones - the hedge fund capper

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
You ever get the feeling that Stephen Jones is more educated as and running the financials like an energy hedge fund manager looking to balance out risk and ROI.

Problem is you’re managing to hit just above average and avoid major losses. However, you’re not going to win the Super Bowl with this strategy.

You hear about trading Cooper. Losing the picks it cost while hoping on Gallop.

Passing on Wagner and being ok with low cost Van the neck and safeties at MLB last year.

Henry is too much $$$ and you retread Zeke.

No defensive line free agents- there were plenty of excellent quality. Not free.

He pays it safe and not to look embarrassed.

He would have never gotten Charles Haley.

There is a window being missed these last few years but the planning for mediocrity is statistically right on schedule at the Star.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper had to go. Wagner wasn't coming I don't care who says what now, Henry wasn't going to get big bucks here (they only added Zeke because he was cheap, I still don't think he will get the most carries this year), the DL FA's weren't going to get the big bucks here........

Not trying to defense the Jones clan but the examples you provide aren't great ones. This off season they are in a salary cap reset meaning no big contracts will be given.

What will the Cowboys do next off season is the big question.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Wagner wasn’t coming? Maybe not, but only because the offer wasn’t enough. Otherwise he would have been here. That’s part of the problem with the two dopes in charge. They should have understood the need. A cursory fan understood it. Similar for RB. What was their plan? A washed up Zeke? Putting all their eggs on the draft and then not getting a back there?

Gambit

Reaction score
Wagner wasn’t coming? Maybe not, but only because the offer wasn’t enough. Otherwise he would have been here. That’s part of the problem with the two dopes in charge. They should have understood the need. A cursory fan understood it. Similar for RB. What was their plan? A washed up Zeke? Putting all their eggs on the draft and then not getting a back there?
Some fans just don't listen when Stephen talks and it shows.

Flamma

Reaction score
Problem is you’re managing to hit just above average and avoid major losses. However, you’re not going to win the Super Bowl with this strategy.
That's probably their intent. That's exactly how they run the team. With the hope that they get lucky and break through one year.

Problem is, they were bad at it doing it the other way. Think about it. Since 1996 to 2012, before they switched to this new system, how many contenders did the Cowboys field? Just 1. We had a lot of bad teams too. Due to bad trades and decisions made. Even though they didn't field more contenders since, they have teams with better records. I don't think we had a losing season in the last 11 years while our QB was healthy. I think they are ok with just that.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Cooper had to go. Wagner wasn't coming I don't care who says what now, Henry wasn't going to get big bucks here (they only added Zeke because he was cheap, I still don't think he will get the most carries this year), the DL FA's weren't going to get the big bucks here........

Not trying to defense the Jones clan but the examples you provide aren't great ones. This off season they are in a salary cap reset meaning no big contracts will be given.

I usually agree with your comments but I think OP was dead on. Can't understand your logic that these weren't good examples of their flawed management philosophy.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It has been revealed by Wagner that he wanted to come to Dallas.

In an appearance last week on the podcast “Up & Adams” with Kay Adams, Wagner explained he wanted to reunite with Dan Quinn, and he negotiated with the Cowboys in 2023 but the two sides couldn’t agree to a deal. (Cowboys signed LVE for $500k less)

Wagner said about Quinn, “We actually tried to make it happen a couple of times, but it just didn’t work out structurally from a contract perspective. But we finally got it right. Him as a person, him as a leader has always been amazing.”

Wagner has made it clear he would have signed here last year.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Well, Stephen definitely has shown he is an all time great, and should be listened to.

I mean, who else was born into their job, can't be fired due to nepotism, and has never helped manage his team to a conference title game? You can't buy that kind of talent!

We should all just blindly cheer obvious dumb moves because Stevie Wonder is beyond criticism.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ahhhh.... the MYTH of the Jones' do not care about winning and only care about profits.

So they are doing this on purpose, to win just enough to keep relevant to increase profits. Very doubtful.
Of course they care about winning.

Jerry did not make the decision to play S's at LB. Quinn and MM should have went to Jerry to get some LB's. But they decided they could do it with S's.
Will Henry be THAT much better than Zeke? We will see. :popcorn:

Fans need to get over themselves thinking they can do better. If fans ran the team, them they would be getting the wrath of 2-15 seasons every year, rather than 12-5.
However they would not care, because they get a high draft pick every year that would probably be busts.

No, I am not content with how it has gone or is going. Some changes are needed. But I do not buy into this they only care about the bottom line of profits.

Creeper

Reaction score
You ever get the feeling that Stephen Jones is more educated as and running the financials like an energy hedge fund manager looking to balance out risk and ROI.

You hear about trading Cooper. Losing the picks it cost while hoping on Gallop.

Passing on Wagner and being ok with low cost Van the neck and safeties at MLB last year.

Henry is too much $$$ and you retread Zeke.

No defensive line free agents- there were plenty of excellent quality. Not free.

He pays it safe and not to look embarrassed.

He would have never gotten Charles Haley.

There is a window being missed these last few years but the planning for mediocrity is statistically right on schedule at the Star.
Hedge Fund managers are usually very bright people. Stephen is more like an amateur day-trader who thinks penny stocks are a better investment because the price per share is low. He wants to invest in 10 penny stocks hoping one pops for him. If it does, he is rich, but he ignores all the losses he took on the other stocks that failed.

I think we put too much into their thinking. It could be just gross incompetence.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Guarantee his IQ is no better than 105-110. You can tell by the way he communicates and by the lack of results in his job.
The guy has never had to work for anything in his life, and I'm sure Jerry is the biggest donator to Arkansas.

Gambit

Reaction score
Well, Stephen definitely has shown he is an all time great, and should be listened to.

I mean, who else was born into their job, can't be fired due to nepotism, and has never helped manage his team to a conference title game? You can't buy that kind of talent!

We should all just blindly cheer obvious dumb moves because Stevie Wonder is beyond criticism.
Lol.

Man this board cracks me up.

I never said he is beyond criticism. I said people don't listen to his words.

Like you've now demonstrated for all of us, you don't listen.

I've about had my fill of this board. The utter hatred for other humans is disgusting, and it's no longer an enjoyable time to spend here.

Hate will rot your soul, this is sports entertainment not life or death.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:laugh:

Gambit

Reaction score
Some fans do listen when Stephen and Jerry talk and that is their problem
Yes, it's a problem when some people listen to hear and not mock and hate.

I understand.

Good day Jarntt, I truly hope something positive is in your life.

Jarntt

Reaction score
It has been revealed by Wagner that he wanted to come to Dallas.

In an appearance last week on the podcast “Up & Adams” with Kay Adams, Wagner explained he wanted to reunite with Dan Quinn, and he negotiated with the Cowboys in 2023 but the two sides couldn’t agree to a deal. (Cowboys signed LVE for $500k less)

Wagner said about Quinn, “We actually tried to make it happen a couple of times, but it just didn’t work out structurally from a contract perspective. But we finally got it right. Him as a person, him as a leader has always been amazing.”

Wagner has made it clear he would have signed here last year.
You would think Cowboys fans would not only know this but also be able to understand they shouldn't believe what comes out of Jerry and Sons mouth all of the time.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The Jones are not Football Guys, they are businessmen and with that perspective they are Champions, they own the world's most valuable sports franchise. In spite of not having won a Championship, nor truly competing for one, in nearly three decades the value and reach of their brand continues to grow and those efforts keep rewarding them quite handsomely. It's kinda like McDonalds, they don't have to be the best, just try to be consistent, be relevant and market the heck out of the product.

The fans view the team and game as sports, but make no mistake, this is a business and the Jones understand this and are extremely good at running this business.

shabazz

Reaction score
I'm more in the "see what they DO" camp rather than "listen to what they SAY" camp.

Did Jerry say "all in"? .....yes but he meant all in on not resigning some players and letting them walk, 1 year vet contacts, and going with younger unproven players