Twitter: Stephen on losing Moore or Quinn

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
This was posted in the radio recap in another thread.

Having said that, allow me to submit this.

Replacing a player, next man up, reveals the iffy proposition the next man up theory cloaks. Coach speak doesn't address the fact the guy you have behind your stud is there because he is cheap on your pocketbook.

But to extrapolate this theory to game callers and coaches, and somehow reduce this to a bromide which says nothing about the expected drop off, is sheer stupidity.

Now marry in the fact Bert and Ernie Jones have fielded some pretty mediocre play callers for a quarter of a century, and his comment doesn't instill any confidence in me that he could pick a winner in a one horse race.

If Stephen Jones tripped and fell to the floor, a bushel basket of dumb arse would spill out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is actually the second time he's addressed this. The first time he pretty acknowledged we'll probably lose Kellen, saying they wanted to take the advantage of him while he's here.

Yep

As usual our ownership responding to the local press and media.

Reactions: BAT

visionary

Reaction score
As much as we don’t k ow how KM will be as a HC and my preference would be to keep things as is next year (even if we have to pay KM big bucks), if a choice has to be made I’d keep KM over MM. last thing I want is the offensive players having to learn a new system

blueblood70

Reaction score
As much as we don’t k ow how KM will be as a HC and my preference would be to keep things as is next year (even if we have to pay KM big bucks), if a choice has to be made I’d keep KM over MM. last thing I want is the offensive players having to learn a new system

New??

MM has been here two seasons and more then anything his offense has merged with this one and hes smart enough to know how to call this playbook..,hes been a play caller all his life as the HC/OC and as much as it would not be great to lose KM MM can keep this going..KM doesnt get to take our offense..Our stud players are more important then KM i like him hes calling great games but dont think for a moment MM cant call a great game ,. he called the SB winning game..so has Kellen called playoff game yet? won playoff game yet? been to SB ? an NFCCG twice..

trust me MM knows this offense well..this isnt all moores success.

he sure stomped our butts twice in the payoffs 2014/2016..dont say its all Rogers but look at our offense Dak and company..maybe even better offensive weapons then MM has ever had outside of rogers..

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is all crazy both by the owners and the Coordinators. Why would you want to leave such a good thing you've got building here? There is no cap in how much money a coach can get paid, so why don't the Jones anté up and pay a little more to keep both coordinators around for another 3-4 years? Plus, there is no way Kellen Moore is ready to be a head coach anywhere, much less in the NFL. He barely became a coach and coordinator 2-3 years ago. He needs more time to master that coaching position while learning a bigger one to become a head coach. If he takes a head coaching job somewhere else, he's most likely going to fail. Look at what happened to Dan Quinn in Atlanta and what has happened to many other coordinators throughout the league who have left to other teams to become head coaches. It has mostly ended up in failure. Moore and Quinn have something good going here in Dallas. They would be smart to stick around a few more years and try to win a Super Bowl or two before deciding to accept a head coaching job elsewhere. Hey, Jerry, open up your pocket book and pay them a little more to keep them here a little longer...if you are serious about wanting to win a Super Bowl before your days are done on this Earth.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Agree 100%......I'm keeping an eye on Nussmeier ( Dak's QB coach ) possibly getting promoted

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Clearly it is possible any time you have a OC or DC who is having success you run the risk of losing them at some point. I would also had Jerry took a lot of heat when Moore was named OC and now that Jerry was correct in his views on Moore, Jerry and organization takes heat because they may lose him at some point. Should Moore choose to take on a HC job does Doug Nussmeier who is QB coach and has worked a OC in college and QB coach in the pros step in. If anyone knows the system Moore is running it would be Nussmeier who has been on staff in Dallas since 2018.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is all crazy both by the owners and the Coordinators. Why would you want to leave such a good thing you've got building here? There is no cap in how much money a coach can get paid, so why don't the Jones anté up and pay a little more to keep both coordinators around for another 3-4 years? Plus, there is no way Kellen Moore is ready to be a head coach anywhere, much less in the NFL. He barely became a coach and coordinator 2-3 years ago. He needs more time to master that coaching position while learning a bigger one to become a head coach. If he takes a head coaching job somewhere else, he's most likely going to fail. Look at what happened to Dan Quinn in Atlanta and what has happened to many other coordinators throughout the league who have left to other teams to become head coaches. It has mostly ended up in failure. Moore and Quinn have something good going here in Dallas. They would be smart to stick around a few more years and try to win a Super Bowl or two before deciding to accept a head coaching job elsewhere. Hey, Jerry, open up your pocket book and pay them a little more to keep them here a little longer...if you are serious about wanting to win a Super Bowl before your days are done on this Earth.

Just me but I seriously doubt Jerry would have a problem making KM the game's highest-paid OC if that'll keep here. But like we've heard before, there are only 32 NFL HC..........

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he won't be disclosing the crazy sum of money Dad will be throwing at KM at the end of the year. Not sober, anyway.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Clearly it is possible any time you have a OC or DC who is having success you run the risk of losing them at some point. I would also had Jerry took a lot of heat when Moore was named OC and now that Jerry was correct in his views on Moore, Jerry and organization takes heat because they may lose him at some point. Should Moore choose to take on a HC job does Doug Nussmeier who is QB coach and has worked a OC in college and QB coach in the pros step in. If anyone knows the system Moore is running it would be Nussmeier who has been on staff in Dallas since 2018.

Just said this in another post.........he would my first choice

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Maybe we could bring Garrett back as OC. Lol
It is his offense afterall Moore is using.

Kellens offense has nothing to do with Garrett. He wasn't even around when Garrett was the playcaller. You can say he's under the Linehan coaching tree but I doubt that too, he was a QB under him but not a playcaller either.

And Garrett was such a square he wanted Kellen to make the offense more 'balanced' after we demolished the Giants week 1 of 2019 (?). They're nothing close to the same type of playcallers.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Just said this in another post.........he would my first choice

More likely to know the system as much as Moore, working with Dak and QB for past 2 season and worked with TE before that. Like most I hope this is not something the Cowboys need to do anytime soon but it can happen. Sitting around worrying about it does not change anything.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just curious for the internet GM’s and owners out there…what is he supposed to say? Please post a script on what to say. “We will replace McCarthy before losing Kellen”. Is that what he is supposed to say?
What I would have said is ..

"We are focused on this season with the coaches and players we have and we are excited to see what happens. We will worry about next season after this season is over."

It's not very hard ...