Twitter: Stephen on the draft: "we're going look at both, the back and front end of the defense"

morasp

Reaction score
Jefferson would definitely be the best slot candidate that would realistically be there. They also spent some time on Higgins who would be an AJ Green type.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I want defense too but you don’t pass on better players just because the other plays defense.

Kinlaw/Henderson/Chaisson is the dream but if they are gone and a top 3 WR is there then there isn’t a defender in this class that I can see who will have more value then the WRs at that point.

All depends on how much better and the grades.

And then there is always the option to trade down. Wasting a first round pick on a position you dont really need is just as much of a waste.

And why would ANYONE take a WR high when you can get a great one on the 2nd round? Makes little sense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty much, hope the starting slot receiver is not currently on the roster.

I'm more concerned about the backup outside WR.
- Not only as an injury backup but starting WRs don't generally play 100% of the offensive snaps.

They could do a slot WR by committee type of approach including using Pollard as the slot WR.
- In sets with both Pollard and Zeke in the backfield, Pollard is taking the place of a slot WR.
- Use more 2 TE sets with Jarwin aligned wide from the line as a big WR type player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All depends on how much better and the grades.

And then there is always the option to trade down. Wasting a first round pick on a position you dont really need is just as much of a waste.

And why would ANYONE take a WR high when you can get a great one on the 2nd round? Makes little sense.

If a player is available at some position (other than QB or RB) that the Cowboys think will be a Zack Martin type of All Pro, then what position on the Cowboys roster is so great that they should bypass drafting that player?

At what position would that player be a "waste" ?

Bluefin

Reaction score
They could do a slot WR by committee type of approach including using Pollard as the slot WR. - In sets with both Pollard and Zeke in the backfield, Pollard is taking the place of a slot WR.
Tony Pollard needs a dramatic increase in offensive snaps.

We can do so many things with him and Ezekiel Elliott on the field together.

I'm more concerned about the backup outside WR. - Not only as an injury backup but starting WRs don't generally play 100% of the offensive snaps.
And Amari Cooper really needs to have his snaps monitored.

I love the player, but Coop is always dealing with various injuries. He doesn't get near enough credit for playing through things lots of his NFL brethren would not. That said, it would be best to give Cooper more breaks during games provided someone emerges to handle such a reserve role.

Given the WR depth in this draft class, I expect to be drooling over possible additions all day Saturday even if Dallas addresses the position during rounds 1-3.

Whatever the Cowboys want, a big outside, small slot, big slot, WR/returner, they can get it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Stephen, like his dad, talks to the media way too much. They tend to say too much as well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If a player is available at some position (other than QB or RB) that the Cowboys think will be a Zack Martin type of All Pro, then what position on the Cowboys roster is so great that they should bypass drafting that player?

At what position would that player be a "waste" ?

QB would be fine. RB is a waste. Taking a WR at #1 is a waste when you can get one in the 2nd or 3rd nearly as good.

this team lost because of defense, not because of the WR play.

jnday

Reaction score
Not gonna replace Cobb's ability to back up the starting wideouts with a draft pick.

We lost veterans in Cobb an Austin. Smith, Wilson, and Bryant combined for 20% of a WR's snaps. We need experienced depth.
Cobb was an extremely smart player too. Fans underestimate how much intelligence plays into making a great player.

jnday

Reaction score
Stephen, like his dad, talks to the media way too much. They tend to say too much as well.
They say a lot, but it usually has little value in the grand scheme of things. I think they just like to hear themselves talk.