Twitter: Stephen on TJ Watt: was in “serious contention” to be pick. “I wish we would’ve done that."

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'll take my chances with Irvin and Aikman and another coach and owner.

I was personally fully ready for what Aikman may have done for the end of Landrys career.

I have little doubt that the team had the success they did because of Jimmy's contributions, but please dont try to tell me we wouldnt be much better off now than having a 78 year old oil man and his nitwit kid in charge for the rest of our lives.

Dont try it. Just stop.
I'm sure we'd be in a better place now with a different owner, but it's entirely possible we'd only have 2 Lombardi Trophies to our name. Look at all the teams who haven't won one in that time. We could be one of them.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I doubt it.

First, whoever bought the team probably wouldn't have hired Jimmy. He and Jerry were friends, which is why Jerry brought him in. I could be wrong, but I don't think hiring college coaches was in vogue at that time.

Second, I doubt anyone else would've been willing to spend the money Jerry did to improve the team, back before the age of the salary cap.

Third, I'm not sure the Walker deal would've been done without Jerry. I know it was Jimmy's brainchild, but it's entirely possible the different owner wouldn't have been willing to give up Walker, plus I think Jerry's salesmanship had something to do with the Vikings going for it.

Obviously anything anyone states is speculative at this point, but I personally don't see things playing out the way they did, without Jerry.
This! ^^^^
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Majority of this fan board knew TJ was the better pick. This is what I get kick out of, when some people on this board say were not the professionals and dont qualify to be a GM and make decisions on who to draft. Leave it up to the pros. Well the pros have been poking and hoping for 23+ years and havent been that successful since Jimmy left.

Dre11

Reaction score
lol..every team can do that every year for many players. Also, who's to say Watt would have done here, If he would've had the same success, Pittsburg is built on defense, they have good players all over their defense, we're not built like that. Also, the projections I saw had Taco ahead of Watt.

Hayseed

Reaction score
In honesty in regards to Taco vs Watt... Taco was the better fit but Watt was the better player.
NEVER take an inferior player over a superior player because of "fit". You take the superior player and find a way to use him. Put him in positions to win. Otherwise you end up with a dead fish like Taco and a superstud like Watt making our offensive lineman look like fools tomorrow....LOL

Beaker42

Reaction score
Every team can say this about every draft

Teams passed on Devonte Adams

Aaron Rodgers was projected to go early in the first and went at the back end of the first round

It is what it is on these draft picks......and I was hyped for Charlton I thought year one would be a struggle but year two and beyond he would average double digit sacks
Really? Because all I ever saw of him at ScUM was a guy with half a motor and little drive to excel.

Reactions: BAT