Twitter: Stephen on TJ Watt: was in “serious contention” to be pick. “I wish we would’ve done that."

speedkilz88

Reaction score
As much as I'm down for a good dog piling of Little Enos and Dino-Rod, let's not make believe that T.J. Watt was a slam dunk, absolutely clean prospect. Watt had two ACL reconstructions on the same knee while at Wisconsin. With all of the history of the Cowboys selecting guys with known injury issues, does anyone think for a minute that Watt would have stayed healthy in Dallas?
TJ didn't have acl injuries. He had issues with another ligament in the knee cap - medial patellofemoral ligament.

His first one healed without surgery then he had the opposite side do the same thing and had a cadaver hamstring attach it back so he could have a chance to play in time for the season, then the original one failed again and he then had it attached with a cadaver hamstring. Those injuries also happened when he was blocking and why he switched full time from TE to DE. He's missed one game out of over 50 in the nfl.

Reactions: BAT

Plankton

Reaction score
TJ didn't have acl injuries. He had issues with another ligament in the knee cap - medial patellofemoral ligament.

His first one healed without surgery then he had the opposite side do the same thing and had a cadaver hamstring attach it back so he could have a chance to play in time for the season, then the original one failed again and he then had it attached with a cadaver hamstring. Those injuries also happened when he was blocking and why he switched full time from TE to DE. He's missed one game out of over 50 in the nfl.

Thanks for the correction - I had it wrong on the specifics of the injuries.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Stephen needs to just shut the hell up this only infuriates us more. I lost my voice screaming Watt when we were on the clock and we took a lazy slow guy

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s actually not true. Watt has outplayed a lot of players drafted ahead of him, including several drafted as edge pass rushers, so clearly a lot of teams and scouts underestimated him.
I was referring to Cowboys fans.

Praxit

Reaction score
..oh man, so they picked Taco. I guess the Jones have THAT particular box of chocolates. "You never know what your going to get"...

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
LOL "IF SOMEONE HIRED JIMMY" - the entire reason Jimmy was brought in was due to his connection to Jerry. Jimmy was content being a college coach, he spoke about this. He loved being in Miami, just like he loves being in florida still.

Nobody else was going to convince Jimmy to come to the NFL other than Jerry.

NFL was already sniffing around Jimmy, Schramm himself said that he wanted to replace Landry with Jimmy, another Texan, if he could.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Ya Think?

Well.

Randy Moss was once available to us in the draft becuz he had character issues and we had just gone thru Michael Irvin being arrested.

The owner decided pass on the WR. He took instead an average DL from North Carolina.

The WR completely terrorized us his whole career..even when he wore out his welcome at other teams and was traded.

He still would score 4 TDs on us.

Our GM does not have a clue.

This is why there should be no debate about drafting Goldie Locks.

We will resign Dak and we as fans need to shut up and like it.

:rolleyes:

Does that mean we will finally draft a sure-fire can't miss defensive player?

No.

Look at Jaylon Smith.

Your honor..I rest my case.

I will ask for a delay in sentencing due to the fact that we are still not done looking at all the available reclamation projects in the league we could possibly draft. It's going to take until April 2021 to narrow down the list and hear the fans whine about it.

I ask for a recess.

:D

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
..oh man, so they picked Taco. I guess the Jones have THAT particular box of chocolates. "You never know what your going to get"...
When you bust on picks like that, taking taco over watt,, thats when the slide starts.. its hard to recover but you can if you start hitting on some good draft picks...CD, Diggs, Gallimore, those draft picks give me hope.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
The front office doesn’t get a pass for some of their decisions. Also nobody cares about all the awesome players you had on your board but didn’t draft, why do the Jones do that ?

I’m getting tired of this reality T.V ownership we have.

HotDog37

Reaction score
It's weird, again it's all Jerry or Stephen not much that McCarthy says is in the press.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
I am not "minimizing" anything, I watched the documentary a few years ago on this. It was basically "I was on a jog and had this idea and ran it by Jerry". I didn't "minimize" it at all, Jimmy came up with the idea and Jerry went through with it. I never "Gave Jerry the credit for the idea" - what the hell are you even talking about? Don't ever put words in my mouth again, boy. I gave credit TO BOTH of them, as in, without Jimmy there is no 90s Cowboys, without Jerry, there is no 90s Cowboys.

Hell, in that same documentary, Jimmy was making calls for trades and was getting responses like "This isn't college, Jimmy" - Jimmy needed a gambling owner like Jerry to get done what he wanted. They BOTH started the blockbuster trade stuff. So, you want to try to again? Sorry that my post goes against this boards crybaby narrative that Jerry is the devil and was never a key piece to the 90s Cowboys.

Have a look at how successful Dallas has been since Jimmy left. 25 years of mediocrity. All under Jerry. He’s incompetent.

Proof

Reaction score
that one example i mean TJ went 30th that means 29 other teams thought he wasn't good fit, Clowney taken #1 overall in the same draft Donald went 13th.

mistakes are made all the time..

There’s really only two picks that get super lamented.
Moss and Watt. It’s not every draft every better player we could have gotten, just two mega talents we were linked to, liked, could’ve been huge additions and passed on. And it’s only resurfacing specifically now because our FO commented about it in an interview. Relax homie