Twitter: Stephen speaks from the Combine - 02/24/2020

John813

Reaction score
Stephen apparently hasn’t talked to Dak’s reps since Sept, there is nothing new to report on with Amari, and they have not spoken to Byron’s reps about his demands.

Yet— “player acquisition is a 365 day business” — according to SJ. Well— if you aren’t bothered to try and proactively make some decisions regarding your top 3 free agents— what the hell do you do all day?

The arrogance of the FO is astounding. I am not saying you cave to player demands (although he did with D Law and Zeke)... I am just saying negotiations are all about communication and respect. You have to show some respect in your actions... not just in throw-away comments to the media.

I am sure the deadline will cause some movement— I just hate the lack of proactive action and the smug approach they take towards handling these situations.

Just wait till they "miss out" on all the decent FA this year while they try to re-sign Dak to a long term deal off the tag.

March 25th...

SJ "We were occupied in getting our core guys re-signed we just couldn't focus on the guys in free agency this past week"

Reporter "When was the last time you talked to Dak's agent about extension?"

SJ "Last September, but you know these things can get done in hours"

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sorry for being critical of the owners who haven't had playoff success in nearly 30 years. I guess I shouldnt question anything that jerry jones does since he has been doing this since 1989. I also wont question jason garrett, marvin lewis, or rod marinelli since theyve been in the league longer than I have.

What I quoted was stephen basically saying he isnt concerned about the current FAs because they got Zeke and Dlaw done at the final hour. I'm simply pointing out those were both mistakes, dlaw put off a surgery while Zeke started the season out of shape, and they got nothing in return for two players starting the season at less than 100%.

Going to the final hour with dak and amari only to give into their demands at a hire price is the worst move they could make. I'm not sure what is wrong with that take?

Personally I would make them both take it or leave it offers. I'd rather he be here, but I would Tag and trade dak if I have to.

i dont accept your apology(jk LMAO) but thanks for trying.. these are seasoned business people and I and they do NOT CARE what you think because you have zero experience and they have more then just football business negotiations experience. news flash they are self made billionaires.. where you think something went wrong and was done incorrectly ion either negations past of present, you are still wrong.. you know squat as most of us internet GMs do and regardless of how you FEEL, they know what they are doing and noones perfect.. chat happens..

btw they tried to get tank and zeke for less, no-one was happy they paid a lot for those guys but that why they went so long..in the end though both contracts were done with longer terms and have more team friendly structure.. thats the issue with Dak he is playing hard ball wanting MORE money and less years.. the dude hit his head because he woke up believing hes in the same tier as RW and Rogers..

hes not I know blah blah the qb market, the FO is trying to help the team business wise , its called a cap and they are doing everything they can to get the best possible deal they can. Dak and his agents are making that tough and you cant blame the FO for this taking so long because caving means less money for Cooper, Jones and other Key defensive acquisitions..

let me make sure you understand while typing from your little world you arent the Billionaire Jones family who own a professional team plus other business' worth billions.. they happen to have an army of Lawyers, Cpas, staff, and plenty of experience in negotiations where you have NO IDEA what truly goes on when the internet shuts off..seriously its laughable keep bring up 25-30 years of perceived failure, they still have 3 super bowls and still have team that is relative in ratings and do win games, we are just short in big game appearances. I get it but this isnt the browns or the bottom 16 this is a top 10 team in wins the last decade and I know it hurts we havent been to a NFCCG in while but has zero to do with business..

I know I know you dont approve but it means nothing....we are fans of NFL football between the lines and root for our team, acting and judging contracts has only become a thing because of 300 sports stations, SM, and oversaturation of Fantasy football and sports bets ..now everyone's an expert because they have alexa and google to help.. lol

think of all the effort in the complaining and time wasted on things we cant control and truly dont have a lot to do with what happens between the lines that fans can root for.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Sorry for being critical of the owners who haven't had playoff success in nearly 30 years. I guess I shouldnt question anything that jerry jones does since he has been doing this since 1989. I also wont question jason garrett, marvin lewis, or rod marinelli since theyve been in the league longer than I have.

What I quoted was stephen basically saying he isnt concerned about the current FAs because they got Zeke and Dlaw done at the final hour. I'm simply pointing out those were both mistakes, dlaw put off a surgery while Zeke started the season out of shape, and they got nothing in return for two players starting the season at less than 100%.

Going to the final hour with dak and amari only to give into their demands at a hire price is the worst move they could make. I'm not sure what is wrong with that take?

Personally I would make them both take it or leave it offers. I'd rather he be here, but I would Tag and trade dak if I have to.
If Dak got wind he was signing a deal or accepting a Tag just to be traded..

it would probably cause him to just hold out.

Certainly he would have a chip on his shoulder about it going forward.

Things would get "chippy"..get it?

I would rather just move on and take what we got from Dak and trade for a QB or sign a FA.

To play this game with Dak is risky as heck. We will need alot more from Dak going forward and have way less money to do it with.

Amari is a good case in point. Dak needs Amari to be effective. Amari also wants a contract like Dak's..

a top paying deal. B/W the two, that is a huge cap slot for those two players.

Both of whom can be fluctuating in their play.

We are not going to be contending for anything for a couple of years until McCarthy gets things going.

Why pay out our cap like this until things are better working

Look at Atlanta.

Matt Ryan 2 seasons ago was the best QB around and Atlanta a top 3 team.

Ryan got his extension and that ended the ride. The next year his interceptions skyrocketed and they are slipping each season now.

And Dak is no Matt Ryan at all. If Dak regresses anymore, he drops from a top 5 QB to a top 25 QB and not worth paying him at all.

One has to look at the odds of Dak greatly improving going thru this coaching change or not.

I would at the least wait a year before signing the big enchilada deal.

We really need to know about Dak as much as possible.

I suspect the Cowboys are acutely aware of this and moving slowly to keep their options open.

Last edited: