Stephen's Approach to the Cap

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Stevie certainly thinks he is a football genius. Zero of Jerry’s charm. I must have missed all the playof wins under his stewardship. Dark days ahead.
That's when the Cowboys will become irrelevant. When Stephen takes over. He doesn't have Jerry's charm or anything. If he doesn't bring in football guys to run the team nobody will care about the Cowboys in 20 years.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think it’s the most accurate take and it also shows that Stephen is running the show primarily, as far as contracts and money. Jerry seems to have stepped away in that regard.
Yeah, I agree. The obvious difference is Stephen is not the same leader as Jerry, has zero charisma compared to his old man. He is much more conservative than Jerry. Jerry made some dumb moves for sure, but he was always willing to gamble. With Stephen, we never see that anymore, he has a strict business model that he is following come hell or high water. I used to think that the team would be better under him. At best, now all I can say is the team might be more consistent. I would like to see the coaching decisions he makes because I still feel that Jerry is the ultimate say in the coaches that run this team. Comparing our team to Al Davis and the Raiders, it was the coaching decisions that brought them back. Stephen might be game for a young outsider (I.e. Gruden) compared to Jerry, who wants familiarity and older coaches. Someone has to come and shake up the culture and personnel strategy, you can’t find a Bill Parcells everywhere.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Stephen’s quote, “We spend every bit of our cap space at the end of the day”, Of course they spend all their cap space. It is REQUIRED by the league. No medal deserved there.

This is one of the most disingenuous things I’ve ever heard SJ say.
That's not true Bob -- there is a floor and it is not 100%

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's when the Cowboys will become irrelevant. When Stephen takes over. He doesn't have Jerry's charm or anything. If he doesn't bring in football guys to run the team nobody will care about the Cowboys in 20 years.
When you think about it, Jerry worked very hard to get where he is. He is a genius at building businesses and could sell sand to camels in the desert. He’s not good at being a GM, but he is almost single handedly responsible for the NFL’s financial success and stability. I really don’t like JJs work as a GM. His on field results speaks for itself. But as a businessman he’s top shelf.

Stephen Jones on the other hand is where he is because of his dad. Period. He qualified for his job the night Jerry’s check to buy the team cleared the bank. His greatest qualification is his DNA. There’s not a team in this league who would hire SJ as a GM.