Stephon Gilmore released by Patriots (traded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From what John said, they are just under 4. Considering I think this year would be prorated, it might be workable if its a multiple year deal. If its a one year deal, then probably not. It would probably be too much to move around

I’m guessing here but I expect him to sign a one year deal and work on re-establishing himself for more money in the next one. His stock is at an all-time low right now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't see Dallas making the move to get Gillmore, the release of Jaylon gives cap relief after next season and I think there are some key players on this team who will become FA that Cowboys will now have the chance to resign.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
4.4mil per OTC. Tampa has 3.3 per OTC as well

Maybe at this point he wants to go to a contender, with a need at corner, to boost his stock/rings and then cash in in 2022? Pretty sure he gets his entire base paid by NE due to being a vet, so it's NE's base pay + whoever signs him salary for 2021
Since the Patriots are stuck with Gilmore's base salary for this 2021 season, the Cowboys should offer him $1.5 mil to come play here for this year ONLY. A prove it 1 year offer since he's 31 years old and coming off the PUP list.

If he refuses because he wants much more, let him go kick rocks somewhere else.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m guessing here but I expect him to sign a one year deal and work on re-establishing himself for more money in the next one. His stock is at an all-time low right now.
Interesting question is what will he take on a 1 year deal.

For us I can see us being interested if he is willing to play on a vet min (or near), or even for our remaining space (4mil). After drafting 2 CB's in the top 100 last year, I dont think we will be willing to look at him on a multi year. Maybe a two year deal, but a two year deal is probably Gilmores worst case scenario

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
there is a rumor, but could the Jaylon release be the move to open up a spot and sign Gilmore. Jaylon wasn't improving. regressed. no up side, so they kept the younger ones at the bottom of the roster with upside.

CWR

Reaction score
This is why you don’t give up a draft pick in a trade for player who may be free later.

It's not a bad idea to give up a minor pick in order to be free of the bidding process and keep him off the market.

More so the problem with trading in this instance is the remainder of his cap hit. It appears he is still owed 16 million. I'm not sure how much of that we'd be on the hook for, but it was probably enough to be a deterrent.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score

I agree with this and why I think he’ll be a buc most likely but possibly a chief, however if a team wanted to give him that security up front (which wouldn’t be too wise) maybe that could sway him and that does seem kind of like a jerry move. Even though still very unlikely.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Interesting question is what will he take on a 1 year deal.

For us I can see us being interested if he is willing to play on a vet min (or near), or even for our remaining space (4mil). After drafting 2 CB's in the top 100 last year, I dont think we will be willing to look at him on a multi year. Maybe a two year deal, but a two year deal is probably Gilmores worst case scenario

He can come in for 1 year or 2 until so called Boss Man is ready. Plus we have the Pats to play in 2 weeks? Perfect scenario for his revenge tour.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
It's not a bad idea to give up a minor pick in order to be free of the bidding process and keep him off the market.

More so the problem with trading in this instance is the remainder of his cap hit. It appears he is still owed 16 million. I'm not sure how much of that we'd be on the hook for, but it was probably enough to be a deterrent.
I believe the whole 16.3 million

Reactions: CWR
Status
Not open for further replies.