Steroids in Sports

Champsheart

Reaction score
Mods, I know this is not a Cowboy issue, but if this can stay on the main forum for a little while I would really appreciate it. I just want it to be seen by as many people as possible because I am really interested in everybody's opinion. If not I do understand.

With the Balco issue, and now Giambi's testimony it appears this will just continue to become a bigger issue.

It seems though that for the most part fans don't seem to care a whole lot. I could be wrong, but that is why I am doing this poll.

So do you care if there is Steriods in sports?

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
I voted No.

I think most fans don't really care because they know players have been using steriods for decades. I think baseball is coming under scrutiny because old time favorites are being wiped off the record books.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I did not vote because I don't agree with either criteria.

I hate the fact that there are steroids involved in sports. I also don't believe there can be anything done to remove them. It all comes down to money and as long as salaries are where there at, people are going to do anything to get at it.

I would like to see a clear line drawn between players of old and modern players. I would like to see a modern era record book and a Pre xxx record book.

Lastly, the thing that really bothers me is the fact that young people immulate sports celebs. This issue filters down into highschool etc. Pro's are going to do it for the money. Kids are going to do it because they aren't mature enough to make balanced decisions.

No offense to anybody young people out there but this is how I view this issue.

Eddie

Reaction score
Didn't we go through this in GROSS detail last summer???

Here's the summary:

Steroids:
- are NOT dangerous to a person's health
- are used regularly by athletes and normal everyday people
- provides an edge compared to those who do not use it

So the question is ... is using Steroids considered CHEATING ???

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Eddie said:

Here's the summary:

Steroids:

Ask Lyle Alzado if they are dangerous to your health

Eddie

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Ask Lyle Alzado if they are dangerous to your health

Lyle Alzado didn't die of Steroids. He died of a brain cancer. Sorry, but steroids don't give people brain cancer.

I bet Lyle Alzado used soap everyday too. Soap killed him. :)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Eddie said:
Lyle Alzado didn't die of Steroids. He died of a brain cancer. Sorry, but steroids don't give people brain cancer.

It was linked to his steroid abuse.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Your nads shrink, it cause bouts of rage and paranoia, it causes heart, liver and kidney damage and has been linked to many deaths of pro wrestlers.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Eddie said:

Here's the summary:

Steroids:

As I recall we did go through this and these opinions were in the minority. Steroids in the proper amounts, under the proper conditions are healthy. Using steroids to inhance on a regular basis do not fall under these guidelines. There is not question. I can respect those who disagree but hey, people disagreed with the idea that beathing regularly could aid in prevention of disease way back when. Clearly, that opinion proved to be wrong. Bottom line, it's not fair to compare, it's not going away and young people will immulate.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I voted no and all of you should because if say Emmitt Smith was found to have used steroids in his prime, every last one of us would defend him.

5 Super Bowls

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I voted no and all of you should because if say Emmitt Smith was found to have used steroids in his prime, every last one of us would defend him.

I would not defend him. It is cheating and if he were caught he should be banned from the record books. Same for baseball.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
5 Super Bowls said:
I would not defend him. It is cheating and if he were caught he should be banned from the record books. Same for baseball.

Its easy to say that before the fact.

5 Super Bowls

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

I love emmitt and appreciate what he did, but I would be heart broken and would hate him for it if it were true.

Nevermind if it happened or not I am consistant when it comes to cheating.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

I can not speak for everyone but I can speak for myself. If this were to happen, it would be very easy for me to speak after the fact as well.

He would not be the all time rushing leader and I would be OK with that.

VirusX

Reaction score
The question is where does the term steroid lie? Proformance Enchancing drugs? Protein powder helps regen muscle fiber so is it a "Steroid" Sugar is a perfromance enhancer. Its all about pushing the line further most top sports stars use some sort of "Enhancer"

Personally I dont see the big deal. It causes health problems ? So does being fat or to muscular (joints). Low body fat can cause damage. To many pain killers which we know are used heavily damage the body (liver). Its all a bunch of crap. Suplementing is always going to be around. People who have the dream to play sports yet have a hormonal imbalance cant get gains others can due to physical limitations so he may use.

Ephedra was banned due to it being a health risk. Because stupid people cant read and take multiple substances with that in it causeing an OD. Yet if you have a perscription and take something that could be lethal with it and is it banned? To much asprin causes death so do we ban that? No. The goverment and drug companies cant make money from healthy people so they remove the drugs that might help you become healthy. There is no profit for healthy people using drugs.

Bottom line is something will be done to prevent short cuts... Does it mean its right? No. HGH is an assistant to people with lower hormone problems but can be used as an enhancer which helps alot. If you sat down and said I want to be about 6'1 230 all muscle and you were currently 6'1 180 and you could do it faster using HGH and Protien powder would you use it? Say it trims 3 months off your goal. What then? Waste 3 months?

Thats the question and I think the INDIVIDUAL should decide for him\herself. You can choose what you put into your body. If it were a hazard such as hardcore drugs then that would be different but increased agression can be caused from a minor headache or a stubbed toe.

Thats my opinion.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Eddie said:

Lyle Alzado himself said he believed that his brain cancer/tumor was a result of his steriod use and talked about it quite often before his death. He was using very powerful roids and there was said to be a link between the roids he used and the developement of cancer.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
VirusX said:
The question is where does the term steroid lie? Proformance Enchancing drugs? Protein powder helps regen muscle fiber so is it a "Steroid" Sugar is a perfromance enhancer. Its all about pushing the line further most top sports stars use some sort of "Enhancer"
There is a major difference between steroids and protein powders.

Anabolic-androgenic steroids are man-made substances related to male sex hormones. “Anabolic” refers to muscle-building, and “androgenic” refers to increased masculine characteristics. “Steroids” refers to the class of drugs. These drugs are available legally only by prescription, to treat conditions that occur when the body produces abnormally low amounts of testosterone, such as delayed puberty and some types of impotence. They are also prescribed to treat body wasting in patients with AIDS and other diseases that result in loss of lean muscle mass. Abuse of anabolic steroids, however, can lead to serious health problems, some irreversible.

Today, athletes and others abuse anabolic steroids to enhance performance and also to improve physical appearance. Anabolic steroids are taken orally or injected, typically in cycles of weeks or months (referred to as “cycling”), rather than continuously. Cycling involves taking multiple doses of steroids over a specific period of time, stopping for a period, and starting again. In addition, users often combine several different types of steroids to maximize their effectiveness while minimizing negative effects (referred to as “stacking”).

As to Protein powders…Protein is a large, complex molecule composed of amino acids. The sequence of the amino acids, and thus the function of the protein, is determined by the sequence of the base pairs in the gene that encodes it. Proteins are essential to the structure, function, and regulation of the body. Examples are hormones, enzymes, and antibodies. Many bodybuilders use Protein to help build muscle in the body.
There is no evidence that in normal healthy individuals, the consumption of a high protein diet is harmful to your health. A protein-rich diet that is also high in saturated fat, is bad for you.

Ephedra was banned due to it being a health risk. Because stupid people cant read and take multiple substances with that in it causeing an OD. Yet if you have a perscription and take something that could be lethal with it and is it banned? To much asprin causes death so do we ban that? No. The goverment and drug companies cant make money from healthy people so they remove the drugs that might help you become healthy. There is no profit for healthy people using drugs.

Wrong… Ephedra was not banned due to “stupid people”. Here is the official release of why the FDA banned Ephedra… The finding is too long so I just pasted the conclusion. The report is quite detailed.

FDA Ephedrine Alkaloids Final Rule Summary
Conclusion
Multiple studies demonstrate that dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids, like other sympathomimetics, raise blood pressure and increase heart rate. These products expose users to several risks, including the consequences of a sustained increase in blood pressure (e.g. serious illnesses or injuries including stroke and heart attack that can result in death). There is also a risk of increased morbidity and mortality from worsened heart failure and pro-arrhythmic effects. Although the pro-arrhythmic effects of these products typically occur only in susceptible individuals, the long-term risks from elevated blood pressure can occur even in nonsusceptible, healthy individuals.
These risks are not outweighed by the known or reasonable likely benefits of dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids. These products do not provide a meaningful health benefit. The best clinical evidence for a benefit is for weight loss, but even there the evidence supports only a modest short-term weight loss insufficient to positively affect cardiovascular risk factors or health conditions associated with being overweight or obese. Other possible benefits, such as enhanced athletic performance, enhanced energy, or a feeling of alertness, lack scientific support and/or they would provide only temporary benefits that are trivial in comparison to the risks.

Bottom line is something will be done to prevent short cuts... Does it mean its right? No. HGH is an assistant to people with lower hormone problems but can be used as an enhancer which helps alot. If you sat down and said I want to be about 6'1 230 all muscle and you were currently 6'1 180 and you could do it faster using HGH and Protien powder would you use it? Say it trims 3 months off your goal. What then? Waste 3 months?

I'd take the extra three months and do it right. Lee Priest doesn’t seem to have a problem building mass w/o HGH or other steroids. He’s had really great articles in Muscle Building mags that spell out his muscle/strength gain w/o the use of steroids. And so have other Pro athletes. I tried suppliments w/ HGH when I was building and the only thing it did for me was cause sleeplessness, depression and mood swings, and skeletal pain. I got much better results with natural whey protein, creatine, healthy diet and a great multi-vitamin.

I think the INDIVIDUAL should decide for him\herself.
Thats my opinion.

I don’t think that’s right when there is a chance for serious or fatal results from steroids. The average Joe going into a suppliment store doesn’t know what the research shows or the long term effects. They don't know about the cardiac damage, male breast growth, sterility, brain effects, etc. They only know that the person trying to sell them products is saying there is no effects… and that person is trying to make a buck, just like the quacks that prescribed steroids to Pro athletes.

IMO