Steve McNair kicked out of Titans camp

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Titans | McNair's days with team probably numbered
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:41:11 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans QB Steve McNair's days with the team are probably numbered after the team told him he was not welcome at Baptist Sports Park, where the team is working out. McNair's agent, James "Bus" Cook, said, "A month ago they say he needs to be there to get familiar with the young guys, and now they tell him to get out? I have never seen anything like that in my life. They can sugarcoat it any way they want to, but when you throw your starting quarterback off the property, an MVP, Pro Bowl guy who led them to the Super Bowl and one of the greatest players in the history of the team. To just to throw him out? After this, I don't think Steve would want to go back any more." The Titans are concerned about McNair getting injured while working out, which would make the team liable for his $9 million in base salary for 2006.

Titans | More on McNair
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:19:42 -0700

Updating previous reports, ESPN.com reports Tennessee Titans QB Steve McNair was told by a team trainer that he would not be allowed to work out until his contract status was resolved, according to his agent James Cook. Cook said there was no warning to the team's position and added, "Steve was told that until he got his contract straightened out, he wasn't welcome at the facility. Heck, he's got his contract already straightened out and now he's trying to fulfill it by reporting for the offseason." Titans sources said Titans owner Bud Adams made the decision out of fear any offseason injury would make him liable for McNair's current contract. Titans head coach Jeff Fisher said, "Things got blown out of proportion. ... We'll get it straightened out."

Titans | McNair booted from team facility
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:19:24 -0700

ESPNews reports the Tennessee Titans have asked QB Steve McNair to leave the Titans facilities.

felix360

Reaction score
Damn isnt that a little harsh, man McNair has played his heart out for that team, and then for them to come back and treat him like this. If they want him working out then just let him minor things, didnt have to kick him out. that sucks,

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
$9 MILLION BUCKEROOS!!! C'mon now Steve, don't be "that guy".

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think the issue is that McNair was wanting an extension of his contract which the Titans would be nuts to do because of all his injuries and subpar play the last couple of years.

They are probably going to draft one of the 3 QBs. I think they had hoped to let the new guy learn from McNair before turning passing the torch.

lkelly

Reaction score
Maybe they are just waiting to renegotiate a bunch of contracts so they can pay him that $16 million signing bonus he wants.

The rate McNair gets injured, the odds are pretty high he blows out a knee or slips a disk in his back just getting out of his car in the parking lot.

burmafrd

Reaction score
No arguement that the team needs to be carefull, and McNair has been injured a lot. But to do it the way they did is classless and an insult to a player that has put it all on the line for the team on many occasions.
Certainly guaranteed to make other players wonder how THEY will be treated if the owners/coaches treat McNair this way.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Wasn't McNair due a $25 million bonus this spring? Did they renegotiate that recently?

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Talking about passing the buck down the line.
Told... By the team trainer.

The Titans are class all the way. :rolleyes: :lmao2: :rolleyes: :lmao2:

joseephuss

Reaction score
Longboysfan said:
:rolleyes: Talking about passing the buck down the line.
Told... By the team trainer.

The Titans are class all the way. :rolleyes: :lmao2: :rolleyes: :lmao2:

Bud Adams has always been a jerk. A few years ago they asked Randall Godfrey if he would re-negotiate his contract so the team could lower their cap number. They then cut him.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss said:
Wasn't McNair due a $25 million bonus this spring? Did they renegotiate that recently?
They didn't pay it. They took like a million dollar penalty for not paying it.

From what I'd been reading, both sides knew that the contract needed to be renegotiated. And it seems everything was cool until the last couple weeks.

What's sad is the difference in how the Titans are handling McNair and the Packers are handling Favre. Packers are letting Favre dictate his own exit and hamstring their offseason whereas the Titans are saying to McNair, Peace homey.

McNair may want a bunch of money, but just thinking of the beatings he's taken over the years for them and then watch them totally dismantle the team around him in the same fashion as has been done to Favre. I can see why he'd be unwilling to negotate to far down. U got a young team and a rebuilt o-line who prolly can't protect u as well as it used to. McNair is prolly just asking for hazard pay.

Oh and I agree. Bud Adams is a jerk... That's why the Titans/Oilers are the Titans in the first place.

txlonghorn14

Reaction score
i thought they were gonna keep him around so he could show vince young the ropes. o well, on to baltimore he goes.

calico

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Bud Adams has always been a jerk. A few years ago they asked Randall Godfrey if he would re-negotiate his contract so the team could lower their cap number. They then cut him.

yeah, Adams is a piece of **** NFL owner. The freaking trainer told him?! Damn.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
calico said:
yeah, Adams is a piece of **** NFL owner. The freaking trainer told him?! Damn.
Utter lack of class. Hopefully the rest of the Titan players take heed when their FA cards are pulled.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Titans | Team releases statement regarding McNair
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:57:40 -0700

The Tennessee Titans have released a statement regarding QB Steve McNair and why they would not let him workout with the team. "We have communicated with Steve (McNair) and Bus (Cook) since the fall that we could handle Steve's salary cap figure into the new league year (2006), but we are not willing to carry that number into the season. We have spent time working in good faith to renegotiate Steve's contract, but have not yet arrived at a mutually satisfactory resolution. With the offseason conditioning program underway, we have no choice but to protect the club and its future from the possibility of having a significant amount of our salary cap at risk in a single player should he sustain a major injury. This is entirely a risk management problem and not a reflection of the enormous respect we have for Steve, for what he means to our franchise, and the huge contributions he has made as a player and as a person." The team hopes to continue efforts to resolve McNair's contract and wishes to see him return when that is completed.

Titans | Team issues statement about McNair incident
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:56:15 -0700

TitansOnline.com reports the Tennessee Titans have issued a statement regarding QB Steve McNair being kept from working out with the rest of the team. "…With the offseason conditioning program underway, we have no choice but to protect the club and its future from the possibility of having a significant amount of our salary cap at risk in a single player should he sustain a major injury. This is entirely a risk management problem and not a reflection of the enormous respect we have for Steve, for what he means to our franchise, and the huge contributions he has made as a player and as a person… We will continue our efforts to resolve the contract difficulties and look forward to Steve returning when this is completed."

jay cee

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Titans | Team releases statement regarding McNair
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:57:40 -0700

The Tennessee Titans have released a statement regarding QB Steve McNair and why they would not let him workout with the team. "We have communicated with Steve (McNair) and Bus (Cook) since the fall that we could handle Steve's salary cap figure into the new league year (2006), but we are not willing to carry that number into the season. We have spent time working in good faith to renegotiate Steve's contract, but have not yet arrived at a mutually satisfactory resolution. With the offseason conditioning program underway, we have no choice but to protect the club and its future from the possibility of having a significant amount of our salary cap at risk in a single player should he sustain a major injury. This is entirely a risk management problem and not a reflection of the enormous respect we have for Steve, for what he means to our franchise, and the huge contributions he has made as a player and as a person." The team hopes to continue efforts to resolve McNair's contract and wishes to see him return when that is completed.

Titans | Team issues statement about McNair incident
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:56:15 -0700

TitansOnline.com reports the Tennessee Titans have issued a statement regarding QB Steve McNair being kept from working out with the rest of the team. "…With the offseason conditioning program underway, we have no choice but to protect the club and its future from the possibility of having a significant amount of our salary cap at risk in a single player should he sustain a major injury. This is entirely a risk management problem and not a reflection of the enormous respect we have for Steve, for what he means to our franchise, and the huge contributions he has made as a player and as a person… We will continue our efforts to resolve the contract difficulties and look forward to Steve returning when this is completed."
they can spin it anyway they want, that's just a bush league move.

Mansta54

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
They didn't pay it. They took like a million dollar penalty for not paying it.

From what I'd been reading, both sides knew that the contract needed to be renegotiated. And it seems everything was cool until the last couple weeks.

What's sad is the difference in how the Titans are handling McNair and the Packers are handling Favre. Packers are letting Favre dictate his own exit and hamstring their offseason whereas the Titans are saying to McNair, Peace homey.

McNair may want a bunch of money, but just thinking of the beatings he's taken over the years for them and then watch them totally dismantle the team around him in the same fashion as has been done to Favre. I can see why he'd be unwilling to negotate to far down. U got a young team and a rebuilt o-line who prolly can't protect u as well as it used to. McNair is prolly just asking for hazard pay.

Oh and I agree. Bud Adams is a jerk... That's why the Titans/Oilers are the Titans in the first place.

Very well said.....:thumbup: