Image: Steven Jackson with the bat signal

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes he started slowly, I think letting Moreno walk was more about his locker room presence. Ball had some nice performances and maybe it was the peyton effect but he had a lot of highs and a lot of lows stat wise his consistency was lacking, again it could be the peyton effect.

Strictly as someone who plays fantasy football, I know that a lot of people had very high expectations for what Ball would accomplish as a starter going into last season. A combination of injury and poor line health quickly made him one of the biggest fantasy football busts of the year.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
One of his biggest blunders for sure.

:banghead:

Not really.

Had we taken S. Jackson, we likely wouldn't have drafted DeMarcus Ware. Ware is closer to the HOF than Jackson.
With the extra pick, we're able to get Ware. Had we not had that extra pick, we likely take Marcus Spears because that's who Parcells wanted all along.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hope so, but this isn't just once, but twice already. He's been unavailable for important work twice already running against air in the most favorable conditions a player can ask for.

Although they might not say it publicly, I have to believe that the staff and ownership are more than a little eager to see McFadden get out on the field.

From my understanding this is based on the one he had during OTA and the team is easing him into camp. He did not reinjure it.
I would think it they feel he can't be counted on that they will make a move.

As for Jackson he too has a lengthy injury history

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I've been following the Broncos' situation with interest, and I've read that Thompson is actually making a nice push for the backup role.

And that leads to believe even more that Ball may turn out to be the player available. Based on draft position and pedigree, he would probably have the most value in a trade.

Makes sense. Thompson looked better to me.

Ball is just so jaggy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not really.

Had we taken S. Jackson, we likely wouldn't have drafted DeMarcus Ware. Ware is closer to the HOF than Jackson.
With the extra pick, we're able to get Ware. Had we not had that extra pick, we likely take Marcus Spears because that's who Parcells wanted all along.

Then it would have been a case of Parcells making a different mistake. The pick they used on Ware belonged to Dallas, not the one from Buffalo for trading down the year before.

If Parcells insisted on drafting the mediocre Spears over Ware, that's entirely on him. I would have expected the same in-fighting and overruling to have gone on that eventually resulted in Ware being selected over Spears (thankfully!).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From my understanding this is based on the one he had during OTA and the team is easing him into camp. He did not reinjure it.

It's my understanding that it's actually the other hamstring.

I would think it they feel he can't be counted on that they will make a move.

I agree. I just hope they don't wait too long.

As for Jackson he too has a lengthy injury history

Yeah, I'm not sure he has much, if anything left.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's my understanding that it's actually the other hamstring.

I agree. I just hope they don't wait too long.

Yeah, I'm not sure he has much, if anything left.

» Darren McFadden, Cowboys running back: McFadden added to his long list of injuries on Thursday when the Cowboys placed the back on the PUP list due to a hamstring pull. McFadden dealt with the same injury during offseason practices.

"We don't think this is serious, just want to take it day by day," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Thursday.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000504082/article/darren-mcfadden-hamstring-placed-on-pup-list

Again just my understanding that this is the same hamstring that took place during the OTA. Whatever the case may be, I would hope to see him on the field sometimes this week. We will see

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
» Darren McFadden, Cowboys running back: McFadden added to his long list of injuries on Thursday when the Cowboys placed the back on the PUP list due to a hamstring pull. McFadden dealt with the same injury during offseason practices.

"We don't think this is serious, just want to take it day by day," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Thursday.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000504082/article/darren-mcfadden-hamstring-placed-on-pup-list

Again just my understanding that this is the same hamstring that took place during the OTA. Whatever the case may be, I would hope to see him on the field sometimes this week. We will see

Here's what I read, and I think it was reported on Talkin' Cowboys as well:

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...jury-cowboys-not-bringing-in-another-rb.html/

Cowboys running back Darren McFadden was nursing a hamstring injury during offseason workouts, which caused him to miss some time. He suffered a different hamstring injury last week and is now on the physically unable to perform list to open training camp.

• McFadden, who the Cowboys signed to a two-year deal in March and expected to compete for the starting job, tweaked his other hamstring while running routes last week.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Here's what I read, and I think it was reported on Talkin' Cowboys as well:

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...jury-cowboys-not-bringing-in-another-rb.html/

Cowboys running back Darren McFadden was nursing a hamstring injury during offseason workouts, which caused him to miss some time. He suffered a different hamstring injury last week and is now on the physically unable to perform list to open training camp.

• McFadden, who the Cowboys signed to a two-year deal in March and expected to compete for the starting job, tweaked his other hamstring while running routes last week.

As I said either way I would expect him to be back sometimes this week. I think it is a bit early to write anyone off.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I said either way I would expect him to be back sometimes this week. I think it is a bit early to write anyone off.

I hope it's this week. If not, I'm ready to write him off and look for another option.

What would be your date to start looking if it were your decision?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hope it's this week. If not, I'm ready to write him off and look for another option.

What would be your date to start looking if it were your decision?

1st off I would be keeping an eye open right now but not because of McFadden alone. As for bringing in players chances are after the 1st cuts are made and I have had a chance to look at what our current RB are doing in practice and in the pre season games.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1st off I would be keeping an eye open right now but not because of McFadden alone. As for bringing in players chances are after the 1st cuts are made and I have had a chance to look at what our current RB are doing in practice and in the pre season games.

That's too late for me as it doesn't give me enough time to give my new addition the time to catch up to speed on the offense, playbook, blocking etc.

I would prefer to give the new guy more time to get acclimated.

McFadden's stock was low for me before Dallas ever signed him. And then he had the hamstring injury that cost him a great deal of OTA's. That was bad enough. And now a second one? That lowers him that much further for me. If he's not ready to go this week, that's strike three in my book.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's too late for me as it doesn't give me enough time to give my new addition the time to catch up to speed on the offense, playbook, blocking etc.

I would prefer to give the new guy more time to get acclimated.

McFadden's stock was low for me before Dallas ever signed him. And then he had the hamstring injury that cost him a great deal of OTA's. That was bad enough. And now a second one? That lowers him that much further for me. If he's not ready to go this week, that's strike three in my book.

Evidently Cowboys feel different right now. That may change as camp continues on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Evidently Cowboys feel different right now. That may change as camp continues on.

Yeah, I would have brought Chris Johnson in for a workout at least by now.

We'll see what, if anything they decide to do. I just hope a potential championship season doesn't get derailed because we tried to count on this guy and he let us down.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, I would have brought Chris Johnson in for a workout at least by now.

We'll see what, if anything they decide to do. I just hope a potential championship season doesn't get derailed because we tried to count on this guy and he let us down.

That is why I think this hold off in putting McFadden in is more about coaches showing precaution. If that is the case then as I said I would expect him to be back shortly. I hope our championship is not derailed either be it McFadden or the fact we failed to address the entire position during the off season.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Then it would have been a case of Parcells making a different mistake. The pick they used on Ware belonged to Dallas, not the one from Buffalo for trading down the year before.

If Parcells insisted on drafting the mediocre Spears over Ware, that's entirely on him. I would have expected the same in-fighting and overruling to have gone on that eventually resulted in Ware being selected over Spears (thankfully!).

Parcells lost the argument because they believed Spears would be available later. If the Cowboys only had one pick in the 2005 draft, it could very well have been Spears instead of Ware.

But that's why I said "likely".

Be that as it may, Steven Jackson didn't exactly light the world on fire. Did he help lead any of the teams he played on make the playoffs? He seem to be hurt a lot in his career.

I'd still take Ware over him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parcells lost the argument because they believed Spears would be available later. If the Cowboys only had one pick in the 2005 draft, it could very well have been Spears instead of Ware.

But that's why I said "likely".

I think we know that's pure speculation that can never be proven.

Be that as it may, Steven Jackson didn't exactly light the world on fire. Did he help lead any of the teams he played on make the playoffs? He seem to be hurt a lot in his career.

They made the playoffs in 2004. But one thing for Jackson is that the Rams were on their way down when he was coming in. At one point, he was essentially all they had.

I'd still take Ware over him.

Based on your hypothetical? Sure, I would too. But I don't believe that would have been the case.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Based on your hypothetical? Sure, I would too. But I don't believe that would have been the case.

Yes, it is a hypothetical. But if Parcells was able to push through to trade the pick, bypassing the best back in the 2004 draft, why would it be less likely he would have been able to push through his desire to draft Spears over Ware?

Again, it's speculation, but I think having two picks helped in getting Ware than if we had one pick.

But we can argue this for days. Neither of us has an alternate reality crystal ball. :)

IAmLegend

Reaction score
I remember how disappointed I was when he fell to us in the draft, and we passed on him for Julius Jones.

Now, 11 years later, I want nothing to do with him. He's done.