Steven Spielberg

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
What is your top 5 movies from this genius?

1. Jaws ............ i was 8 when i saw this movie, scared me pretty good, it did.
2.Raiders of the lost ark .....................absolutely loved this movie
3.Saving private ryan........................great movie, almost too realistic
4. E.T. ...................it was good, i guess
5. Duel................... dennis weaver cracks me up in that movie man. ha ha ha

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only five??? That's hard. Okay...

1. Schindler's List
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
4. Jaws
5. The Color Purple, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jurassic Park, Minority Report

It's a four way tie for fifth place!!! Okay, I cheated. Sue me. :D

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Interesting topic. For reference:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/#director

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Band of Brothers (great series on HBO)
3. Indiana Jones (I cheat by counting these all together)
4. Minority Report
5. Schindler's List

Also, check out his producing credits. This guy is a legend.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
Only five??? That's hard. Okay...

1. Schindler's List
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
4. Jaws
5. The Color Purple, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jurassic Park, Minority Report

It's a four way tie for fifth place!!! Okay, I cheated. Sue me. :D

Schindler's list was a fantastic movie, but one i don't want to watch again.
too disturbing for me.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:
What is your top 5 movies from this genius?

1. Jaws ............ i was 8 when i saw this movie, scared me pretty good, it did.
2.Raiders of the lost ark .....................absolutely loved this movie
3.Saving private ryan........................great movie, almost too realistic
4. E.T. ...................it was good, i guess
5. Duel................... dennis weaver cracks me up in that movie man. ha ha ha

the scene where indiana shoots that ninja fellow.

priceless

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lanecity1975 said:
Schindler's list was a fantastic movie, but one i don't want to watch again.
too disturbing for me.
It's interesting that you say that. I've watched many, what could be considered by most, disturbing films over and over--including Schindler's. But there is only one film that I've watched only once because I thought it was too disturbing: Seven. Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt were great. Kevin Spacey was perfect casting. It's not the goryest (sp?) film that I've watched. It's just... I don't know.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lanecity1975 said:

priceless
"Snakes. Why does it have to be snakes?" :p:

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
It's interesting that you say that. I've watched many, what could be considered by most, disturbing films over and over--including Schindler's. But there is only one film that I've watched only once because I thought it was too disturbing: Seven. Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt were great. Kevin Spacey was perfect casting. It's not the goryest (sp?) film that I've watched. It's just... I don't know.

Seven was very disturbing. spacey made that movie.

the one scene that bothered me about Schindler's list was when he was randomly picking off people from the balcony with a rifle like it was nothing.
no emotion whatsoever.

The Sugarland Express was a good movie too. true story.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lanecity1975 said:
The Sugarland Express was a good movie too. true story.
Agreed. I've been waiting impatiently for his WOTW remake. He and Tom Cruise were a great team in Minority Report. I'm looking forward to seeing both of them step it up a notch this summer.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lanecity1975 said:
yeah, lot of good scenes from that one, fo sure!
One scene from the movie, which is probably overlooked by many viewers, is 'the ark in the cargo bay' scene. It's the scene where the ark burns off its crate's swastika... and the only witness to the event was a ship rat. I love that scene!

blindzebra

Reaction score
The one question I want to ask him about Schindler's List is, "Was the horseback on the hill, watching the ghetto being cleared, influenced by How the Grinch Stole Christmas?"

As for the list:

1. Schindler's List

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Jaws

4. Close Encounters

5. Raiders and Last Crusade, the middle Indy sucked.

jamez25

Reaction score
Jaws
Schindler's List
E.T.
Raiders and The Last Crusade (his future wife screaming throughout Temple of Doom pissed me off )
Catch Me If You Can

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:

priceless
Do you know the story behind that scene? If not here goes. Harrison had the flu or something and was really tired. The scene called for an elaborate sword fighting scene. He asked Spielberg if he could just shoot him instead :D

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. Jaws - my Dad has told me stories of when he was living on the beach here in Tampa and how it was like a ghost town when this movie came out. The music puts it over, big time.

2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - what I really enjoyed about this movie is the cinematography. If you haven't noticed, watch it again and see how Spielberg had scenes where there were two conversations going at once in the fore- and backgrounds. I just thought it was really unique. Besides that, what a great movie. I'll always remember the railroad crossing scene. Probably one of the best scenes I can remember in any movie.

3. Indiana Jones - Besides Temple of Doom, which was a total headscratcher, this trilogy is second to none in my book. I personally enjoyed the Last Crusade the most, probably because I was too young to remember Raiders. I do own the DVD Trilogy...a very smart purchase for any fan. (Yeager, thanks for the Trivia!)

4. Always - This might not be up on the charts of many as far as Spielberg's works but since I'm an aviation buff, it's right up there. Dreyfuss and Holly Hunter made a great team in this one. I've always been a Dreyfuss fan and this movie doesn't disappoint. John Goodman was pretty good also.

5. Saving Private Ryan - If there's one film America needs to see, especially around the military holidays, this is it. I don't think there's a film that reflects the reality of war more vividly than SPR. My dad's a Vietnam Vet and I remember my uncle calling the house after viewing it and saying, "your dad shouldn't see this movie...it's really graphic, he may get upset." Sure, it was graphic, but my dad didn't have flashbacks. We've always been pretty knowledgeable of WWII and this movie looks as close to reality as you can get.

Notables: Catch Me If You Can, Duel, Band of Brothers (Best miniseries EVER)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
blindzebra said:
The one question I want to ask him about Schindler's List is, "Was the horseback on the hill, watching the ghetto being cleared, influenced by How the Grinch Stole Christmas?"

As for the list:

1. Schindler's List

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Jaws

4. Close Encounters

5. Raiders and Last Crusade, the middle Indy sucked.

This list works for me, and really agree with your take on the ROTLA.

I would add in Band of Brothers....To be honest I think it is actually better then Saving Private Ryan except for the D-Day sequence in SPR.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
I agree and I have the DVD set.

Hmmmm.....note to self.

Blackmail Yeager to get Band of Brothers DVD set. :D

I may get that next year, I just got shogun not too long ago so I gotta slow down on the exp DVD sets lol.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
1. Jaws

2. Schindler's List

3. The Terminal

4. Catch Me if You Can

5. Color Purple

I have to add that I think his film "Lincoln" will probably be high on my list when it comes out and I'm very much looking forward to the miniseries, "Into the West."

Jaws is just a classic film ... it stands the test of time.

Oh, and I agree, Lane. The scene where Indiana Jones blasts the big guy with the sword is priceless.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We forgot about 1941!

"I'm Wild Bill Kelso...and don't you forget it!"

belushi.jpg