Still Love Kris Richard?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never did in the first place
I have a lot of respect for Pete Carroll
If he let him walk, he needs to show me a ton before I'm buying in
That was my thought when they hired him and some were selling him as the heir apparent DC. He is a little more risk/reward than Marinelli and that's a plus but BDBD DC's don't last in today's NFL.

Getting coaches not wanted by their former teams is a lot like the FA field. There are some reasons why they may be available but with him, I didn't get it. Carroll needed a strong DC and secondary coach and he decided no on Richard. And we're talking about one of the few D oriented teams in the NFL.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
This defense has played well 7 of 8 times. Sadly, I wonder if the combination of Dak squandering the second turnover, the officials taking away the third, the offense looking like junk again, and then Lee once again going down... If all of that added up to a let down on defense. But I think KR is a good coach. But I wouldn’t be heartbroken if he leaves with JG. I think complete new blood is in order.
YES. Taking that LVE turnover away sucked the momentum right out from under this team.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
They're getting tired of carrying the team. The offense has only put up 21+ points in 2 games. The offense is 30th in plays from scrimmage and 27th in yards per game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes.

Top 3 in Points Allowed.

TOs could be better, but if you had predicted us being top 3 in points allowed during this offseason, you probably would have been laughed at and called a kool aid drinker.
Check that stat after they play some real offenses. Using that stat is trying to figure out the end of the movie at the halfway point.

Pants

Reaction score
I think Dallas before that debacle last night was the only team in the league to not give up more than 25 in a game - ONE BAD GAME

Pants still believes in Reeeeesharrrrrrrd

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I haven't gotten this from the beginning. Some act as if the Cowboys had really scored in hiring a D coach that wasn't wanted by his old team that was going through a secondary rebuild and that team has a D coach as the HC. Think he might know D coaches? Ever ask yourself why he didn't want to keep him?

So now, I see some think they have the next DC on board. Would that be the same one that's calling the D and gave up 28 at home to the 30th ranked O in the league?

Doesn't it make you think about it that SEA didn't want to keep him? Before we consider that part of the team puzzle solved, let's see how his D performs against the really good offenses left on the schedule.

Don't consider stats without considering opposition first. Check those stats at the end of 16 instead of the halfway point.

And before anyone excuses him because of injuries, that's when the real coaches step up and if you paid attention when he was in SEA, when he lost one of those pbers for a game, they didn't hold up well.
Sure... I love you too.
Why not?

aikemirv

Reaction score
The Titans realized that the boys CB don't play the ball. Mariotta was throwing the ball before the break with no fear of an int on deep outs. They were great passes from him on time and in some cases good coverage. Great passes and timing beat good coverage most of the time.

That said, they could have played a lot better!

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I'm not ready to throw him out just yet.

Sometimes you have to give credit to the guy. The Titans brought a solid game plan and had a lot of really gutsy and hard to defend calls. There was a lot of really well executed misdirection that's hard for any defense to adjust to as long as the other team can pull it off. They mixed it up and Mariota had a heck of a game.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
YES. Taking that LVE turnover away sucked the momentum right out from under this team.
The officials are impacting the games too much IMO. Replay should be for correcting clear errors. If something is bang bang then let the call on the field stand. You are affecting momentum when you essentially legislate from the replay booth instead of just interpret.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This defense has played well 7 of 8 times. Sadly, I wonder if the combination of Dak squandering the second turnover, the officials taking away the third, the offense looking like junk again, and then Lee once again going down... If all of that added up to a let down on defense. But I think KR is a good coach. But I wouldn’t be heartbroken if he leaves with JG. I think complete new blood is in order.
I wouldn't have a problem with that and I am not saying Richard isn't a good coach and couldn't be the answer but many were celebrating his arrival without considering his previous departure.

Has this D really been tested by a good NFL offense? I do not count CAR because both were still in preseason form.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Never did in the first place
I have a lot of respect for Pete Carroll
If he let him walk, he needs to show me a ton before I'm buying in
I think thats the first and last time ill ever hear someone say they have respect for pete Carroll in my life

MojaveJT

Reaction score
He’s made enough of a difference in the defensive players that I’m willing to give him a pass. Remember, he’s still limited by what he can do under RM.

If and when he becomes DC, then we can really make judgement.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The DL has to rely on too much movement to be effective. Put a real 1T in the middle and everything falls into place.

blueblood70

Reaction score
the 3rd down and redzone D was so so horrible it set records and to a team that this was their main issues coming into the game and we allowed them to get healthy..

visionary

Reaction score
I think thats the first and last time ill ever hear someone say they have respect for pete Carroll in my life

Then you need to pay attention to football before you make yourself look st***d

His team is always in contention
They play hard and tough
Never an easy out
He's won a SB and was in position to win a second
His coordinators have left over the years but his success continues

After Bellichick he's in that second tier of HCs that include Carroll, Reid, Payton

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem with that and I am not saying Richard isn't a good coach and couldn't be the answer but many were celebrating his arrival without considering his previous departure.

Has this D really been tested by a good NFL offense? I do not count CAR because both were still in preseason form.
Offensive rankings of opponents as far as points:

HOU #14
CAR #11
NYG #27
DET #20
JAX #29
WAS #25
SEA #17
TEN #29

So a lot of bad offenses sure. But part of being good is shutting down the teams that you should. No one shuts down KC, NO, LAR, NE etcetera. And remember that this D gets very little help from the offense. This D isn’t the ‘85 Bears like I said earlier, but they are giving up 10 less points per game than teams like ATL and NO. I’m sure those fan bases would be doing backflips right now if their D was holding teams under 20. And it is a young unit so it might get better with a year or two of development.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Then you need to pay attention to football before you make yourself look st***d

His team is always in contention
They play hard and tough
Never an easy out
He's won a SB and was in position to win a second
His coordinators have left over the years but his success continues

After Bellichick he's in that second tier of HCs that include Carroll, Reid, Payton

:hammer:
Coaching Matters .