Stoops not interested in Florida Job

TxStar61

Reaction score
Stoops Not Interested In Florida Job
OU Coach Ends Speculation Early By Denying Interest

POSTED: 11:26 am CDT October 28, 2004
NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops says he wants to end the speculation and make it clear he does not want to be head coach at Florida.

"I have great respect for the people at Florida and a lot of good memories from my time there," Stoops said in a statement released by the University of Oklahoma media relations department Wednesday.

"But to end the speculation that is ongoing, I want to make it clear that I have no interest in the position that is currently available there."

Speculation that Stoops was one of the school's top candidates began soon after Florida coach Ron Zook was fired Monday, effective at the end of the season.

Other reports said former Florida coach Steve Spurrier is the Gators' top choice to replace Zook.

Stoops had declined comment Monday and Tuesday, saying he wouldn't talk about other jobs, but then issued the statement.

"It is a privilege to be the head coach at Oklahoma, and I am fully concentrating on having the best season we can have and in building the strongest program we can build," the OU coach said in the statement.

Stoops, 44, has a contract that runs through 2009 and currently pays him $2.2 million annually.

Roughneck

Reaction score
Ha Ha

I was talking to a Gator fan the day Zook got fired who swore that Stoops was coming on down to Gainesville. I kept telling him that he had already turned their ***** down once and he'd easily do it again.

:D

TxStar61

Reaction score
Stoops has a lot of reasons to stay RIGHT WHERE HE IS !!!! But at least 2 stick out in my mind! :D

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
You would have to be an idiot to think Stoops would even consider Florida over OU. Oklahoma has the second the national championships behind Notre Dame. They have a better football tradition in Florida in addition to passionate fans who worship him. At OU, he has a chance to win a few more national championships and ecclipse Bud Wilkinson's records. Seriously, just because OU is in Oklahoma, it doesn't mean the school and football program are amazing. It seems like every opening at every major program from Notre Dame to Ohio State thinks OU is crap and that Stoops is going to jump. When do they realize that aside from Notre Dame, Oklahoma has the best football tradition in the country. If Stoops leaves, I hope the Oklahoma athletic director has the nerve to try and recruit Jim Tressel from Ohio State or Steve Spurrier from Florida. That's how ridiculous this idea is.

Freakin Morons

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
You would have to be an idiot to think Stoops would even consider Florida over OU. Oklahoma has the second the national championships behind Notre Dame. They have a better football tradition in Florida in addition to passionate fans who worship him. At OU, he has a chance to win a few more national championships and ecclipse Bud Wilkinson's records. Seriously, just because OU is in Oklahoma, it doesn't mean the school and football program are amazing. It seems like every opening at every major program from Notre Dame to Ohio State thinks OU is crap and that Stoops is going to jump. When do they realize that aside from Notre Dame, Oklahoma has the best football tradition in the country. If Stoops leaves, I hope the Oklahoma athletic director has the nerve to try and recruit Jim Tressel from Ohio State or Steve Spurrier from Florida. That's how ridiculous this idea is.

Freakin Morons

A lot of people in this neck of the woods are saying not to rule Stoops out. Why would he say he's leaving or interested when he's working on a national championship? The team would fall apart. BTW, when he was at Florida, he told his new recruits at Florida that he was staying, then bolted for the Oklahoma job.

All the coaches on the short list currently with jobs that have said that they are not interested in the Florida job are in the top 10. I'm confident one of them will be our head coach next year.

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

Freakin Morons
...Mister Woods,may I call you James?...I love OU football...but you might want to consider Miiiiiichigan when you bring up top tier teams...I believe they are number one all time in D-1 wins...

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
Gatorgirl said:
A lot of people in this neck of the woods are saying not to rule Stoops out. Why would he say he's leaving or interested when he's working on a national championship? The team would fall apart. BTW, when he was at Florida, he told his new recruits at Florida that he was staying, then bolted for the Oklahoma job.

All the coaches on the short list currently with jobs that have said that they are not interested in the Florida job are in the top 10. I'm confident one of them will be our head coach next year.
...I hope you are noticing GG that for someone with the nic...IBIS ...I know my onions when it comes to Gator footy...UF is the premier University in the State and one of the truly great schools nationally....ibis slips on spiffy white shirt and tie...orange & blue of course....walks over to the Kappa house...starts to sing....I'M SO GLAD THAT IAAAMMA...KAPPA KAPPA GAMMA!

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
ibis said:
...Mister Woods,may I call you James?...I love OU football...but you might want to consider Miiiiiichigan when you bring up top tier teams...I believe they are number one all time in D-1 wins...

Since the inception of the AP poll in 1936, Notre Dame has won 8 national championships. Alabama and Oklahoma are tied with 7 national championships. If you include those national championships won prior to 1936, Yale has the most with 18. And keep in mind, those national championships were determined by a variety of polls etc so when discussing national champions, 1936 and on is the date that is provided when casually referring to which team has won the most national championships.

http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_events/ncaa_publications/records_books/

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Gatorgirl said:

Regarding his going back on his word as an assistant, he was an assistant not a head coach of a major program who already won a national championship. Did you really think he had aspirations to remain an assistant his entire life?

Of course, people in your neck of the woods are going to say that because they are hopeful. That's what hopeful people do; they reach for straws. They naturally point to Stoops because he was a defensive coordinator there under Spurrier but that doesn't mean he wants to come back. For one thing, Florida already asked Stoops and he refused their offer 3 years ago. If he was going to join Flordia, he would have done so back then. Why would Stoops change his mind now, especially if he competed in a national championship just last year. He is also the highest paid coach in college football. Second, he made a public statement saying he is not interested. If Stoops was interested, he would have kept silent like every other coach and left his options open at the end of the season. But instead, he made an early statement to squash any rumors the media might perpetuate.

Lets not forget the most obvious reasons; Stoops knows he has an easier time getting to the national championship game going through the Big 12 versus the SEC. It's nearly an impossible task to go undefeated in the SEC. Recruiting would be a pain in Florida. It's bad enough he would have to outrecruit Miami and FSU in his own state, but he would have to deal with the strong SEC schools like LSU and Georgia in nearby states. At OU, Stoops can have his pick of the litter. He only competes with Texas and he has an edge there because OU beats Texas every year. Finally, I think you should consider that Florida is not as attractive a position as its fans might think. You couldn't get anyone else 3 years ago which is why you were forced to settle on Ron Zook. Florida went after a lot of big name coaches besides Stoops and they all refused the position.

Again, this is just Florida fans and wishfull thinking. You have a great program and I can see one of the coaches in the top 10-15 jumping to Florida but it's not going to be Stoops.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Regarding his going back on his word as an assistant, he was an assistant not a head coach of a major program who already won a national championship. Did you really think he had aspirations to remain an assistant his entire life?

Of course, people in your neck of the woods are going to say that because they are hopeful. That's what hopeful people do; they reach for straws. They naturally point to Stoops because he was a defensive coordinator there under Spurrier but that doesn't mean he wants to come back. For one thing, Florida already asked Stoops and he refused their offer 3 years ago. If he was going to join Flordia, he would have done so back then. Why would Stoops change his mind now, especially if he competed in a national championship just last year. He is also the highest paid coach in college football. Second, he made a public statement saying he is not interested. If Stoops was interested, he would have kept silent like every other coach and left his options open at the end of the season. But instead, he made an early statement to squash any rumors the media might perpetuate.

Lets not forget the most obvious reasons; Stoops knows he has an easier time getting to the national championship game going through the Big 12 versus the SEC. It's nearly an impossible task to go undefeated in the SEC. Recruiting would be a pain in Florida. It's bad enough he would have to outrecruit Miami and FSU in his own state, but he would have to deal with the strong SEC schools like LSU and Georgia in nearby states. At OU, Stoops can have his pick of the litter. He only competes with Texas and he has an edge there because OU beats Texas every year. Finally, I think you should consider that Florida is not as attractive a position as its fans might think. You couldn't get anyone else 3 years ago which is why you were forced to settle on Ron Zook. Florida went after a lot of big name coaches besides Stoops and they all refused the position.

Again, this is just Florida fans and wishfull thinking. You have a great program and I can see one of the coaches in the top 10-15 jumping to Florida but it's not going to be Stoops.

Sure, but there is one thing you have not considered...that although his job is "cushy" right now, and everything is so darned easy for him...that will get stale. Soon he will be looking for a challenge, and your beloved Sooners will lose him to another college team that needs someone looking for a challenge, OR he will look to the NFL for that challenge just like the Ol' Ball Coach did.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Gatorgirl said:
Sure, but there is one thing you have not considered...that although his job is "cushy" right now, and everything is so darned easy for him...that will get stale. Soon he will be looking for a challenge, and your beloved Sooners will lose him to another college team that needs someone looking for a challenge, OR he will look to the NFL for that challenge just like the Ol' Ball Coach did.

I hate to agree with Jameswoods here. But he is right. Stoops wont be leaving anytime soon. If he does leave he will only go to the NFL. I dont even see that happening. From all of his interviews and write up w/ Stoops he is having the time of his life in Oklahoma.

Seriously. You guys should not be holding your breath.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dark horse candidate for the Florida job...Mike Price from UTEP.

Don't forget Rick Neuhisel (sp?) as well.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Dark horse candidate for the Florida job...Mike Price from UTEP.

Don't forget Rick Neuhisel (sp?) as well.

We'll be passing on those two...we are squeeky clean as far as NCAA violations are concerned. After the negative press with Neuheisel, et al...I think we'll be very careful who we hire.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep the name Urban Meyers in the back of your minds for the Florida Job.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Keep the name Urban Meyers in the back of your minds for the Florida Job.

We have a great feeling he will be the one since Bernie Machen (UF pres.) hired him on at Utah.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Gatorgirl said:

Now I agree with this take Gatorgirl; he will look for a challenge, but I think he will go to the NFL and that's kind of what I'm predicting. I don't think he will be the Coach K of college football. I don't remember the source but I recall Stoops implying that he would consider the NFL in the future if OU had won the national championship.

I think he wants to win three more national championships so that he can eclipse Barry Switzer and Bud Wilkinson's records. After that, I think he will leave for an NFL opportunity if one opens up.

Truth is I can see him coaching the Cowboys when Parcells leaves. The mystique of coaching the Cowboys and the proximity to Oklahoma and OU would be a great opportunity for him.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Now I agree with this take Gatorgirl; he will look for a challenge, but I think he will go to the NFL and that's kind of what I'm predicting. I don't think he will be the Coach K of college football. I don't remember the source but I recall Stoops implying that he would consider the NFL in the future if OU had won the national championship.

I think he wants to win three more national championships so that he can eclipse Barry Switzer and Bud Wilkinson's records. After that, I think he will leave for an NFL opportunity if one opens up.

Truth is I can see him coaching the Cowboys when Parcells leaves. The mystique of coaching the Cowboys and the proximity to Oklahoma and OU would be a great opportunity for him.

That idea's been thrown around before, and certainly would not shock me if he decided to go that route.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

I doubt Stoops is going to win 3 more national campionships...he's had some loaded teams the past few seasons and didnt do it then either...Adrian Peterson helps, but I dont see 3 more titles

as I have said before I may be in the minority but I dont think Stoops is going to be a good pro coach...I think if he tries to bring the offensive system he uses now to the pros he'll get killed...watching it, it reminds me of Spurrier's flawed scheme sometimes

and I honestly dont like the guy, I thought his halftime interview while getting spanked by LSU in the Sugar Bowl was very telling and some of the more moronic things I have ever heard a coach say at that level...

if I'm running a pro team I'd be looking at Jeff Tedford, Nick Saban, Kirk Ferentz and maybe even Pete Carroll (assuming he can convince Norm Chow to come with him) before I'd take Stoops

David

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I doubt Stoops is going to win 3 more national campionships...he's had some loaded teams the past few seasons and didnt do it then either...Adrian Peterson helps, but I dont see 3 more titles

as I have said before I may be in the minority but I dont think Stoops is going to be a good pro coach...I think if he tries to bring the offensive system he uses now to the pros he'll get killed...watching it, it reminds me of Spurrier's flawed scheme sometimes

and I honestly dont like the guy, I thought his halftime interview while getting spanked by LSU in the Sugar Bowl was very telling and some of the more moronic things I have ever heard a coach say at that level...

if I'm running a pro team I'd be looking at Jeff Tedford, Nick Saban, Kirk Ferentz and maybe even Pete Carroll (assuming he can convince Norm Chow to come with him) before I'd take Stoops

David

I have to keep telling myself that this is just your dislike of Stoops speaking.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Dallas said:
I have to keep telling myself that this is just your dislike of Stoops speaking.

I did like him until I saw the Sugar Bowl...

but my views of him are honest opinions...very good college coach and obviously a good recruiter, but I dont think he'll be a good pro coach...and maybe he'd go with a different offensive style in the NFL, but what he uses now would fail miserably IMO and really mirrors Florida's offensive scheme under Spurrier

David