News: Storylines you should follow at Dallas Cowboys training camp

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By Charean Williams

cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

The wait is almost over. Football is almost back. * The Cowboys open training camp Friday when their charter arrives in California. Their first practice is a week from Sunday, and their first preseason game two weeks after that. * Time to lace up the cleats and snap on the chin strap.

1 Change in defense

The Cowboys allowed the most yards in team history last year as they ended the season without five starters and two key reserves. Dallas let Rob Ryan go, replacing him with Monte Kiffin, the team’s fifth defensive coordinator since the beginning of the 2007 season. He is switching Dallas back to a 4-3, the scheme the franchise has used for most of its history. Kiffin, 73, and Tony Dungy made the Tampa-2 defense famous with the Buccaneers, and Kiffin hopes for similar success in Dallas.

DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer have moved from linebacker to defensive end. Jay Ratliff becomes the 3-technique tackle, and Jason Hatcher moves from defensive end to the 1-technique inside. Bruce Carter transitions to weakside linebacker, and Sean Lee patrols the middle. But many of the key defenders, including Ware, missed much of the team work while rehabbing during the team’s off-season workouts.

2 Romo’s return

Tony Romo missed all of the team’s organized team activities and the minicamp after having a cyst removed from his back in April. The Cowboys insist it was a minor procedure and that his absence was merely a precaution. But Romo, who has been throwing, will have all eyes on him the first practice.

• 3 Playing-calling duties
  • 4 Frederick’s development
  • 5 Dez’s dominance

Read the rest: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/07/13/4999615/storylines-to-follow-at-dallas.html

coult44

Reaction score
Can DEZ have a monster season and dominate without Tony having a great year?

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
The only storylines I'm interested in are the development of the o-line as a unit and the emergence of a starter at one of the safety positions.

iceman117

Reaction score
I'm interested in different things

-Parnell or Free at RT
-Who will step up and start at LG
-Terrance Williams/Dwayne Harris as the 3rd WR
-How do the rookies help out in the offense

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Can DEZ have a monster season and dominate without Tony having a great year?
Fair question, but I think he is one of those talents who makes a QB look better. So while he could hit 2,000 with Tony, I dont think that something like 1,400 with Kyle Orton is unreasonable.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I'll be focused on

O-Line scheme and improvements
Running game
D-Line
Safety
Play calling

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
If Rookies Wilcox & Frederick step up they'd represent improvements from the Cowboys weakest links (Safety and Oline), over the last several years.

coult44

Reaction score
Fair question, but I think he is one of those talents who makes a QB look better. So while he could hit 2,000 with Tony, I dont think that something like 1,400 with Kyle Orton is unreasonable.

If Orton is our QB for any more than mop up or that type of playing time, we are in deep poop...

Reaction score
Those sound more like Jerry Jones' talking points,,, how the heck can you gloss over the OL?

1. Center, guards, tackles
1a. DL and safeties
3. New defense/ Monte
4. Bruce Carter and Dez,,, my favorites
5. The running back from OSU, Randall