STP - Stone Temple Pilots

triplets_93

Reaction score
I LOVE the sound of Dean DeLeo, his Les Pauls and Marshall stacks...
His brother Robert has a unique Bass playing style.
The drummer Eric Kretz, is solid, and delivers through and through.
The lead singer and main lyricist Scott Weiland is in a class by himself.

Scott & Dean reveal their musical influences.

A live version of Plush:

triplets_93

Reaction score
"I was listening to it and I thought, 'These guys are gonna be massive' because they've got a sound that's very similar to a lot of the great bands that are in the alternative scene right now," recalled Mustaine. "The more I listened to it, the more I grew to respect [Scott Weiland]'s vocals and I thought that Robert [DeLeo], his playing was really great, too."

During our recent chat with Stone Temple Pilots guitarist Dean DeLeo for the Core 25th anniversary deluxe reissue, he praised Mustaine for his insight and support in those early days while the band was trying to make a name for themselves.

"Dave was a real gentleman to us, man. He was very, very kind. He was very loving and very supportive. He may not want me to relinquish that kind of information about him, but he was very loving and supportive and just a great person to us," stated DeLeo.

https://loudwire.com/stone-temple-pilots-dean-deleo-megadeth-dave-mustaine-real-gentleman-to-us/

triplets_93

Reaction score
At four o’clock the morning after, roaring down an interstate in the tour bus and oblivious to the pounding tropic rain, Weiland hunches over the nylon case that holds his traveling CD collection: Bad Religion, Frank Sinatra, Metallica, Miles Davis, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, and Fugazi. Presence—the most underrated Zep album, and also my favorite.”

“Everybody draws from everybody,” says Weiland backstage, peeling a shrimp. “You take things that affected you when you were young, and you try to put them into your own version. In the ‘60s, people were reworking the blues; now, people are feeding off what they grew up with, things like fIREHOSE, Led Zeppelin, and the Beatles. It’s the food chain.”

He dunks the shrimp in spicy sauce, and pops it into its mouth. “Like with ‘Sex Type Thing,’ Dean was out in the front yard of his house in San Diego, washing his car or something, and he was, like listening to some old Zeppelin song—”

“’In the Light,’” Dean interrupts, suddenly appearing over Weiland’s shoulder. “’Duh bug ngaow, buh-neh-neh-nah neh-neh-nao-neh,’ except because the music was inside and I was outside, it sounded different. You know how you can hear music sometimes, in a different way? I heard it ‘buh-neh-buh-neh-buh-neh,’ which is like the riff idea to ‘Sex Type Thing,’ and I ran in and hit it out on the classical guitar.”

https://www.spin.com/2018/07/stone-temple-pilots-core-interview-cover-story-1993/

triplets_93

Reaction score
Dean with the greats...

52330790846_142746879f_o.png

triplets_93

Reaction score
COMPLETE ROLLING ROCK 2.0 (2001 WESTMORELAND FAIRGROUNDS LATROBE) STONE TEMPLE PILOTS LIVE

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I saw STP with the Butthole Surfers at Sunken Garden Theater in San Antonio back in 1993. Killer show! Gibby Haynes brought out a 12 gauge pump shotgun loaded with rock salt and kept shooting a giant beach ball to keep it up in the air. Different times back then :), you'd stamped the crowd if he did that now.

ESisback

Reaction score
So many great songs, and STP always gave us a diverse selection.

Gun to my head, my fave is “Trippin’ On A Hole In A Paper Heart”. INSANE baseline, great guitar, quirky and high energy!