Straight from the scouts: DBs

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
The other positions were posted a few days ago, but I didn't see this one posted there. Might interest some people.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...R01/804250617/1058&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

Top cornerback prospects

1. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
6-foot-1 3/8, 218 pounds; Projected draft round: 1
Highlights: Cousin of Antonio Cromartie, a cornerback who went to the Pro Bowl for the San Diego Chargers last season. Started all four seasons at the Football Championship Subdivision school (formerly Division I-AA) and had 10 interceptions and 36 passes defended, including 13 and two last season, when teams generally threw away from him. Averaged 24.4 yards on 33 kickoffs returns last year. Has a great combination of size and speed — he wowed scouts at the scouting combine by running the 40 in 4.33 seconds. Also showed good explosiveness with a 38½-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-11 broad jump. Has some natural cover abilities and showed at the Senior Bowl he could perform against a higher level of competition. Not a willing tackler, so teams question his toughness.
The talk: "A very good man-cover corner, played on a lower level of football," the scouting director for an AFC team said. "Not a very tough guy. Teams that run bump-and-run man can play with him, but if you want him to force the run, that's not his game. But he's got speed and length and size." … "I think he thinks he's playing fast (in college), and he's playing to a level that he's not," another scout said. "There's another level or two he can get to. A lot of the athleticism that shows up numbers-wise doesn't always show up in the tape." … "His stock went up at the Senior Bowl," a third scout said. "Going in, he would have been a solid third-rounder. He was impressive in the Senior Bowl, has straight-line speed, showed he could be physical. You've got to give him his due."

2. Leodis McKelvin, Troy
5-10 1/8, 190; Round 1
Highlights: Three-year starter who excelled as a returner. Had 24 passes broken up and three interceptions as a starter; averaged 23.1 yards on 95 kickoffs, including one touchdown; and averaged 15.2 yards on 96 punt returns, including seven touchdowns. His three touchdowns on punt returns last season led the nation. Lacks Rodgers-Cromartie's height but has similar speed (4.39 seconds in the 40) and athletic ability (38½-inch vertical jump). Has good natural quickness and cover skills, and is physical and instinctive. His return skills will be valuable early in his career, though if he's a starter, his team might not risk using him there.
The talk: "He was a breath of fresh air," a national scout for an NFC team said. "He's still raw but he has speed, quickness. You could see in his eyes he wants to be a player. That's what I saw." … "No. 1, he's tough for a guy his size, really tough," the scouting director for an NFC team said. "He's not afraid to take a challenge. He thinks he's good, and plays with a chip on his shoulder. He'll tackle. He could improve his ball skills — they're a little inconsistent — but he makes a lot of plays on the ball and he's one of those guys that won't let you just play catch out there. He's going to challenge guys and have his share of pass breakups." … "He can do it all," said a scout who ranked him the top cornerback. "He can backpedal, he can change direction, he can press, he can punt return, he's a good tackler. He doesn't really have any holes, where those other guys have some holes."

3. Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech
5-95/8, 187; Round 1 or 2
Highlights: Junior entry who was an injury redshirt (broken leg) as a freshman, and after a year as a backup, started the last two seasons. Lack of height will knock him down or even off of some teams' boards — almost surely including the Packers — but others like his strength and quickness and think he's one of the best corners in this draft. Put up good numbers in his two years as a starter (35 pass breakups and eight interceptions), and showed his willingness to play physically by making 15½ tackles for a loss and 3½ sacks. Probably will be valued most by teams that play the Tampa Cover-2 zone scheme, in which he can read and react quickly to plays in front of him and be a factor against the run. Could go as high as the bottom third of the first round. Ran the 40 in a disappointing 4.54 seconds and did only 30½ inches on the vertical jump.
The talk: "I thought the kid was very talented," one scout said. "I don't think he plays hard every snap. He takes plays off. But when he wants to play, he'll shut your (butt) down. He's physical, he can move his feet and he makes plays. He sits on routes and he guesses, but part of that is he's a pretty smart kid and he watches tape. But he doesn't always play hard. Is that a big deal? No, he got away with it. He gets in the NFL, he isn't going to get away with it. But he's very talented." … "A lot of teams wouldn't (take him in the first couple of rounds) because he is short and a 4.5 guy," the scouting director for an AFC team said "But if you play a lot of zone, he's perfect for youHe's a tough player, knowledgeable. I think he's studies his opponents pretty well. You can see that in the way he plays, he's smart. He's got limited speed and limited deep cover ability."

4. Aqib Talib, Kansas
6-07/8, 197; Round 1 or 2
Highlights: Junior entry who tested positive for marijuana three times at Kansas, though one source said he's tested clean since his girlfriend had a child in the last year. Three-year starter with 48 passes knocked down and 13 interceptions. Caught eight passes for a 22.4-yard average on offense last year, including four touchdowns. Has good size and excellent natural cover talent and ability to play the ball. However, he's not tough and has a big ego, so he could be difficult to coach. The positive drug tests could drop his first-round talent into at least the second round. Ran the 40 in 4.40 seconds and had a vertical jump of 38 inches.
The talk: "He's a very talented individual, probably has the best ball skills of any of them, but he has some off-the-field issues," one college scouting director said. "It's definitely a concern. You get a guy that's failed that many drug tests, had that many issues, that's a concern. He's talented, but we've been down that road." … "I think he could play bump, but he's more of a zone corner," the scouting director for an AFC team said. "If you play a lot of off coverage, kind of like New England does, where you have your eyes on the quarterback, or you play a lot of Cover 2, he's better suited to that because he doesn't have the rare burst and acceleration out of breaks like the first two guys. But he's a really smart guy that's tough, he tackles well, and he's got good short-area quickness and he closes well in short areas. I just question whether you get him on an island in bump and run, whether his long speed is going to hold up on this level." … "I thought the kid was a really good kid," said a scout who looked into Talib's background. "We met with him a couple times. We don't have as much concern. I didn't see (the drug tests) as a huge red flag, no."

5. Mike Jenkins, South Florida
5-10¼, 193; Round 1 or 2
Highlights: Three-year starter who had 32 passes knocked down and six interceptions. Last season, returned seven kickoffs for a 30.4-yard average, including a 100-yard touchdown against Cincinnati. Arrested in March 2007 with a teammate for misdemeanor disorderly conduct and obstructing an officer without violence for an incident at a friend's bachelor party. Was suspended but brought back for the 2007 season. Lacks height but has strength and great recovery speed (4.38 seconds in the 40), along with natural cover skills. However, some scouts question his work ethic. Was a major recruit coming out of high school but stayed in the Tampa, Fla., area to help take care of his mother, Kathy Gray, who has diabetes, and 10-year-old brother. Had a 33½-inch vertical jump.
The talk: "I think he's a really good kid with a good head on shoulders," a scouting director for an AFC team said. "Just because of the relationship with his mother, that shows a lot of maturity. If that translates over to football is a little questionable. I wish he played with more fire. Can he develop that? I'm not sure. He probably can, but there's some question there, definitely. I think he'll go at the bottom of the first round. Don't think he'd go any later than the top of the second, anywhere from 25 to 35." … "Physically, he's probably as good or better than all the guys," another scout said. "He's probably more raw and plays where he coasts through some games because he's not challenged with some of the teams they play. But I like his body, he's got good acceleration out of breaks, he's real athletic. He's raw from a technique standpoint. His instincts are a little better than average, not great. I wish he made a few more plays. You look at the (teammate) on the other side, Trae Williams makes a lot of plays. He's got like 15, 18 interceptions where Jenkins has a handful. But he's a guy that could develop his skill level to where he could be a really good second corner and possibly a one."

6. Antoine Cason, Arizona
6-03/8, 187; Round 1 or 2
Highlights: Cousin of former NFL receiver Ken-Yon Rambo and Detroit Lions defensive back Aveion Cason. His father, Wendell, was a defensive back for the Atlanta Falcons from 1985 to 1987. Four-year starter who knocked down 37 passes and had 15 interceptions. Has decent height, excellent instincts and intelligence, and OK quickness. Ran an adequate 40-yard dash (4.46 seconds), but scouts have major concerns about his recovery speed. Might be best-suited for Cover 2 zone, though he has the savvy and toughness to play bump coverage. Had a 36-inch vertical jump. Appears to rate as a second-round pick on most draft boards because of his lack of long speed.
The talk: "Cason's a pretty damn good corner. He just can't run," the scouting director for an NFC team said. "I like (Penn State's Justin) King better. King has more of an upside speed-wise, cover skills. Cason is a football player, that's really what he is. … "He's a very good zone player, Tampa 2, Indianapolis, New England, that type of system," said an AFC scout, "but also he can play man because he's smart. He knows his limitations and plays within those limitations. I think on the next level, he's going to do fine. He's got some size to him, his speed is just adequate, but he's got really good ball skills and awareness and route recognition." … ". I don't know, I don't get all jacked up about him," another scout said. "He's not a quick-twitch athlete." … A fourth scout said: "I thought he was (as good as) former Packers cornerback) Craig Newsome-type guy, but he's really not. He's a pretty good football player, but just not the whole package."

7. Justin King, Penn State
5-105/8, 189; Round 2
Highlights: Junior entry who was a backup receiver and corner as a freshman, then moved to corner full time as a sophomore. As a two-year starter had 24 passes defended and three interceptions. Is extremely fast and quick, but remains raw and has a slight build. Blazed the 40 in 4.30 seconds and had a vertical of 37½ inches.
The talk: "He's athletic, he can really run," said the scouting director for an NFC team. "He's OK tackling, average toughness, good man-to-man cover skills. He's got good quickness and acceleration out of breaks. I wouldn't say he's the toughest guy in the world because of his receiver background. Maybe that's still developing. But athletically, you see things where you expect to see more out of a guy with that skill level.You just hope it comes. It wouldn't even surprise me if King goes in the bottom of the first." … "Has some man-coverage skills, is a very good athlete, runs well," another scout said. "But he's one of those guys that came out too early, probably would have been a higher draft choice if he'd stayed for his senior year.But he's really a good athlete, so he's going to have a hard time not being taken high."

8. Reggie Smith, Oklahoma
6-01/8, 192; Round 2
Highlights: Junior entry who started at safety more than cornerback his first two years, then played corner full time last season, when he knocked down 14 passes and had three interceptions. Is a big, physical corner who plays the ball well and has good instincts. Has poor recovery speed. A toe injury kept him from participating in the scouting combine, and at his campus workout, he ran the 40 in only 4.61 seconds but showed initial explosiveness with his 39½-inch vertical jump.
The talk: "They play a lot of zone and let the rush get there, and then the corners play off and react to the ball," one scout said. " A lot of balls are coming out crooked (because of the pass rush), that helps them make plays on the ball. But he's not a lockdown that you can match up with a guy and say, 'Reggie, you've got this guy,' and he's going to shut the guy down. He's more of a scheme-dependent player, too. It would help him to be in more of a zone-based scheme than a man-to-man scheme. His lack of true top-end speed shows up." … "Reggie Smith's a good football player, a lot like (Arizona's) Antrel Rolle when he came out of Miami," another scout said. "He's a good football player, could be a corner or safety, probably try his hand at corner first but just like Antrel Rolle this year, in his fourth year, he's moving to safety, and that's probably what Reggie's going to do. He's a good football player, probably in that second-round range."

9. Tracy Porter, Indiana
5-10¾, 187; Round 2 or 3
Highlights: Four-year starter who knocked down 30 passes and had 16 interceptions, and in his last two seasons averaged 13.6 yards on 35 punt returns. Is a good, quick athlete with excellent hands and solid man-to-man cover skills. Has a slight build, and some scouts are appalled by his tackling in the run game, so he's a bad fit for the Tampa 2 scheme. Ran the 40 in 4.4 1 seconds and had a 34½-inch vertical jump.
The talk: "I like Tracy athletically, but I was turned off a lot by his tackling," said the scouting director for an AFC team. "He's not a physical guy. He got a little better toward the end of the year, and I thought he had great ball skills and good athleticism. Good punt returner. But I have a little concern about his true toughness and his tackling. It wouldn't surprise me if he went in the second or third round, but based on what I've seen, I'd be more comfortable in the fourth round.Now a guy with his type of speed is probably going to go higher than that." … "He has some talent now," a scout for an NFC team said. "He's just never been pushed there, so it will be interesting to see what he does when he gets pushed.There's games where he tackles and games when he doesn't. He'll be gone in the second.

10. Patrick Lee, Auburn
6-01/8, 192; Round 2 or 3
Highlights: Part-time starter as a sophomore and junior, full-timer last season. As a senior, knocked down 10 passes and had four interceptions, and averaged 25.4 yards on 11 kickoff returns. Has solid size, is physical and a good all-around athlete. Is not technically sound, and scouts wonder why he didn't start earlier, considering his talent and competitiveness. Lacks long speed, also. Ran the 40 in 4.53 seconds and had a 35-inch vertical jump.
The talk: "He's a bigger guy, he's physical, he'll tackle you," one scout said. "He's obvioulsy played against great competition. His biggest thing is playing the flight of the ball downfield. He doesn't have great natural ball skills, he has trouble running and locating the ball as he goes downfield.Something he really needs to work on, but I think he can improve that." … "A nickel back that can force the run, can cover, has good size — tough little player," another scout said. "One-year starter now, that's the one bugaboo about him."

Top safety prospects

1. Kenny Phillips, Miami
6-foot-2¼, 212 pound; Projected draft round: 1 or 2
Overview: Junior entry who started all three seasons. Had 241 tackles, knocked down 15 passes and had seven interceptions. Last season, had six tackles for a loss and forced three fumbles. Has excellent size, solid cover skills and plays the ball well, but isn't a top-flight athlete and lacks range. Rates as the top prospect in a weak safety class, and could go as high as the late first round. Ran the 40 in 4.49 seconds, had a vertical leap of 34 inches and did 19 reps on the 225-pound bench press.
The talk: "He's solid," a scout said. "He's a good tackler, does a lot of things well. He didn't time great and doesn't have great long speed, but he's really solid across the board. You'd want to take him in the second round if you could, but if you need one, you probably have to take him late in the first, that last five to eight picks of the round." … "I think he's definitely deserving of first round," another scout said. "Miami had a horrible year this year, and it showed in his play and others. He's a first-round talent, without question." … "I didn't like him at the outset, thought he was more of an athlete than a player," a third scout said. "But I think there's still some development in him, and he's more impact ready than any true free safety I've seen for a while."

2. Tyrell Johnson, Arkansas State
5-117/8, 202; Round 1 or 2
Overview: Four-year starter at the same college that produced former Packers defensive tackle Corey Williams. Finished as the Sun Belt Conference's all-time leading tackler with 363, knocked down 28 passes and had 13 interceptions. Graduated in August and began work on his Master's degree last season. Played against a low level of competition but has good size, strength and intangibles. Tested great at the combine — 4.40 seconds in the 40, a 39-inch vertical jump and an impressive 27 bench reps.
The talk: "The thing that shocked me is he ran better than I would have thought," the scouting director for an AFC team said. "He has good interception numbers, he's instinctive, he plays angles well, he cuts people off, gets to the ball, makes plays in space. He's a good enough tackler, and I liked his size. He has safety-type size." … "I think the kid is probably the second safety," a scout for an AFC team said. "I wouldn't be shocked — he probably won't go in front of Phillips, but if I had to take one of the two, I'd probably take Johnson. The funny thing about it is, going back, it was almost like he played down to the level of his competition in their league games, but when they played the better competition, he really shined. Not only made plays on the ball, he was a good tackler. He wasn't a killer but he was physical enough." … "You're not looking at a great safety group," said a scout who rated North Carolina State's DaJuan Morgan second and Johnson third. "I think Tyrell is a nice player, good special-teams player, solid safety. I don't think he's spectacular in any area, he's got nice cover skills, nice versus the run. He's going to start in the league, I just don't think he's a top-tier type guy."

3. DaJuan Morgan, N.C. State
6-0¼, 203; Round 1 or 2
Highlights: Junior entry who emerged last season to become a solid prospect. Moved from receiver to safety after redshirting as a freshman. Didn't become a starter until last year, when under a new coaching staff and scheme, he studied hard in the offseason. Took over the starting job in Week 2, and when he moved from the run-supporting strong safety to free safety halfway through the season, North Carolina State's defense improved immediately. Had 97 tackles, six passes knocked down and three interceptions. Doesn't have great cover skills but fills hard against the run and is a sure tackler. Ran the 40 in 4.57 seconds, had a 37½-inch vertical jump and did 21 bench-press reps.
The talk: "He's big, he's physical, he will tackle anybody and he makes plays," one scout said. "He had four interceptions last year, and three of them were on first drives of games. And he can cover some ground. His negatives are, he's not a good man-to-man guy. If you ask him to play man-to-man against anybody but the tight end — and he's going to struggle against some tight ends. If you're going to ask him to cover (Cleveland's Kellen) Winslow, he's going to lose some of those battles. If you're going to ask him to play halves and play in the middle of the field and tackle and prevent long runs, he's what you're looking for."

4. Simeon Castille, Alabama
6-03/8, 193; Round 2 or 3
Highlights: His father, Jeremiah, played defensive back for six years in the NFL with Tampa Bay and Denver. Started at cornerback the last two seasons and had 134 tackles, 18 eight passes defended and eight interceptions. Probably projects to safety in the NFL. Has enough size, toughness and awareness to play safety, but runs poorly and needs to add strength. Ran the 40 in only about 4.7 seconds at the combine, which raised red flags, though he lowered that to 4.58 seconds at his campus workout. Had a 36-inch vertical jump, but did only eight reps on the 225-pound bench press.
The talk: "He's a rangy guy, lanky, doesn't gear down, can't drop his weight like you'd want," a scout for an NFC team said. "But I still feel he's going to play."
5. Thomas DeCoud
6-15/8, 204; Round 3
Highlights: Moved from cornerback to safety as a redshirt sophomore, then started 16 of 25 games his final two seasons. Lost his starting job after four games as a junior because of a knee injury that sidelined him for three weeks. Didn't start Cal's bowl game last year because he violated unspecified team rules. Had 116 tackles, six tackles for a loss and one interception last season. A big hitter with decent size and good man-coverage skills, though he doesn't play the ball well and lacks top-end speed. Ran the 40 in 4.52 seconds, had a 34½-inch vertical jump, and did only nine bench-press reps at 225 pounds.
The talk: "I thought he'd have a better year," the scouting director for an AFC team said. "The thing that troubles me about him — I had him in the third round — I worry about his tackling in space. When he gets balanced up on people, he lacks some flexibility to make sure tackles in space, which is going to hurt him at this level. But with his versatiility as a cover guy — he went out and covered (USC's 6-foot-4 Dwayne) Jarrett in the red zone a couple years ago, that keeps him alive in that realm."

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
6. Antoine Cason, Arizona
6-03/8, 187; Round 1 or 2
Highlights: Cousin of former NFL receiver Ken-Yon Rambo and Detroit Lions defensive back Aveion Cason. His father, Wendell, was a defensive back for the Atlanta Falcons from 1985 to 1987. Four-year starter who knocked down 37 passes and had 15 interceptions. Has decent height, excellent instincts and intelligence, and OK quickness. Ran an adequate 40-yard dash (4.46 seconds), but scouts have major concerns about his recovery speed. Might be best-suited for Cover 2 zone, though he has the savvy and toughness to play bump coverage. Had a 36-inch vertical jump. Appears to rate as a second-round pick on most draft boards because of his lack of long speed.
The talk: "Cason's a pretty damn good corner. He just can't run," the scouting director for an NFC team said. "I like (Penn State's Justin) King better. King has more of an upside speed-wise, cover skills. Cason is a football player, that's really what he is. … "He's a very good zone player, Tampa 2, Indianapolis, New England, that type of system," said an AFC scout, "but also he can play man because he's smart. He knows his limitations and plays within those limitations. I think on the next level, he's going to do fine. He's got some size to him, his speed is just adequate, but he's got really good ball skills and awareness and route recognition." … ". I don't know, I don't get all jacked up about him," another scout said. "He's not a quick-twitch athlete." … A fourth scout said: "I thought he was (as good as) former Packers cornerback) Craig Newsome-type guy, but he's really not. He's a pretty good football player, but just not the whole package."
That's exactly it. It's not that he's slow. He's just not a "quick twitch" guy so he looks slow. Big difference.

Example: Marion Barber isn't slow. He looks slow because he's not a quick twitch guy. Julius Jones isn't that fast. But he looks fast because he's a quick twitch guy. In the end, they're about the same speed.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Something a little worrisome for me was seeing Jenkins projected as a late first rounder by that one scout. I really hope he's not sitting there at 22.