Strange Power Line Issue

Creeper

Reaction score
I called an electrician today and they came by within an hour to look at the problem. As it turns out, the electric company did come by at some point but never rang my doorbell or notified me they were there. They added a huge wad of some kind of putty on the line as it enters the electrical meter. I have no idea if the opened the meter and saw mater or if they just mashed the putty on the line hoping to resolve the problem. My electrician took it off to inspect the junction where the cable enters the meter. The new putty was applied on top of the old putty which appeared cracked and broken a bit. They chipped off the old putty and applied a silicon sealant. The meter is locked and can only be opened by the electric company so my guys could not look inside to see if there was rust or water.

However, they did tell me the main cable enters the meter and then splits to attach to the meter itself. So the cable is not sealed all the way from to drop connection to the breaker panel. The electrician assessed the water was entering the cable in the meter box. This seems more likely because the distance the water would have to travel through that cable to the basement, while traversing a split in the cable itself inside the meter would be unlikely. If so the sealant they applied should resolve the problem. It will rain here tomorrow so I will have a chance to find out.

I also learned that the electric company owns the drop to the house, as others mentioned, and the meter. But the wires from the drop connections to the meter and the wiring from the meter to the breaker panel are my responsibility - which is weird since the meter is locked and the cable I am responsible for enters that box which I do not have access to.

In any case I hope it's fixed so I can close the panel up and not worry about my water alarm waking me in the middle of the night again.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I called an electrician today and they came by within an hour to look at the problem. As it turns out, the electric company did come by at some point but never rang my doorbell or notified me they were there. They added a huge wad of some kind of putty on the line as it enters the electrical meter. I have no idea if the opened the meter and saw mater or if they just mashed the putty on the line hoping to resolve the problem. My electrician took it off to inspect the junction where the cable enters the meter. The new putty was applied on top of the old putty which appeared cracked and broken a bit. They chipped off the old putty and applied a silicon sealant. The meter is locked and can only be opened by the electric company so my guys could not look inside to see if there was rust or water.

However, they did tell me the main cable enters the meter and then splits to attach to the meter itself. So the cable is not sealed all the way from to drop connection to the breaker panel. The electrician assessed the water was entering the cable in the meter box. This seems more likely because the distance the water would have to travel through that cable to the basement, while traversing a split in the cable itself inside the meter would be unlikely. If so the sealant they applied should resolve the problem. It will rain here tomorrow so I will have a chance to find out.

I also learned that the electric company owns the drop to the house, as others mentioned, and the meter. But the wires from the drop connections to the meter and the wiring from the meter to the breaker panel are my responsibility - which is weird since the meter is locked and the cable I am responsible for enters that box which I do not have access to.

In any case I hope it's fixed so I can close the panel up and not worry about my water alarm waking me in the middle of the night again.
Best of luck, brother!

Creeper

Reaction score
Another update. After watching the electrician apply silicon sealant to the top of the meter to prevent water from entering the meter box, I discovered the cable leaked last night after heavy rains. I went outside to see if the box was wet or dripping underneath and noticed the silicon caulk he applied was gone. It completely disappeared. I have no idea what happened to it. There was not a trace of it on the cable junction with the box or anywhere! I have no idea what could have happened to it. It was applied when it was not raining and had at least 7 hours to dry before the rain started. I find it hard to believe the rain washed it away completely like that.

So I applied a clear silicon sealant I had used on other projects. I know it works and I know it is not water soluble. It has stopped raining here and I have no idea when it will rain again. I think I will invest is some flex seal the next time I get to Lowes and give it all a good application before it rains again.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Another update. After watching the electrician apply silicon sealant to the top of the meter to prevent water from entering the meter box, I discovered the cable leaked last night after heavy rains. I went outside to see if the box was wet or dripping underneath and noticed the silicon caulk he applied was gone. It completely disappeared. I have no idea what happened to it. There was not a trace of it on the cable junction with the box or anywhere! I have no idea what could have happened to it. It was applied when it was not raining and had at least 7 hours to dry before the rain started. I find it hard to believe the rain washed it away completely like that.

So I applied a clear silicon sealant I had used on other projects. I know it works and I know it is not water soluble. It has stopped raining here and I have no idea when it will rain again. I think I will invest is some flex seal the next time I get to Lowes and give it all a good application before it rains again.
Maybe the power company came by and removed it?