Strategic Error Made With Elliott?

Flamma

Reaction score
If I am looking at 3M this season and 9M the next and if they tag him for 11-12 the next two seasons, that's 34-36 compared to Gurley's 45. I would sit out the 3M and show up just to make this year qualify for the 9M next unless I decided to sit that out.

But then he could sit out all of this year and call their hand just as Bell did only Elliott is only giving up 3M.

It all comes down to what kind of a team and season do they have without him. If they struggle, he wins. If they don't, he still wins because they end up trading him to get rid of that 9M on the books, even if they only got a 3rd round pick.

Flamma, I believe this is also about the Cowboys tendency to blink with star players. And the fans and media might be mostly on the Joneses side in this with two years to go but start losing and that will change in a hummingbird's heartbeat. He will get more press if they're losing than if he was playing and they were winning.

Look, you're talking of a difference of around 10 million. I'll admit I don't know how all of this works, but isn't he losing money by sitting out? If the Cowboys wanted to play hardball the dude could be out of football for the entire season and next season as well. Who would sign him?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Could not disagree more. Who exercises the option making it two years left on the contract and then goes on the radio talking about a new deal? He started this entire situation, brings up the contract and then states he needs to be the highest paid RB. You telling me his agent wasn't pinching himself?

The agent didn't need to start at Gurley money, the COO did that for him.
Yep

The Football Idiot and Son insert foot in mouth as they’re promoting their product and public position. I’m not sure if they even realize it or simply don’t care? The unaccountable duo...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Look, you're talking of a difference of around 10 million. I'll admit I don't know how all of this works, but isn't he losing money by sitting out? If the Cowboys wanted to play hardball the dude could be out of football for the entire season and next season as well. Who would sign him?
Good question.

But what happens is yes, he gives up the salary this year which 3.9 million is chump change. Then next year Dallas would either lose his rights if they don’t sign him if he doesn’t play or attempt to salvage something in a trade. Elliott has more at risk next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If I am looking at 3M this season and 9M the next and if they tag him for 11-12 the next two seasons, that's 34-36 compared to Gurley's 45. I would sit out the 3M and show up just to make this year qualify for the 9M next unless I decided to sit that out.

But then he could sit out all of this year and call their hand just as Bell did only Elliott is only giving up 3M.

It all comes down to what kind of a team and season do they have without him. If they struggle, he wins. If they don't, he still wins because they end up trading him to get rid of that 9M on the books, even if they only got a 3rd round pick.

Flamma, I believe this is also about the Cowboys tendency to blink with star players. And the fans and media might be mostly on the Joneses side in this with two years to go but start losing and that will change in a hummingbird's heartbeat. He will get more press if they're losing than if he was playing and they were winning.
Correct..

And next year if he sits hopefully we’ll be in a better position to draft or pursue a better replacement in FA which makes him indispensable. This year Zeke has more leverage since this caught us off guard and we didn’t draft a replacement.

And why this was the year to challenge Jerry. It not only potentially threatens our season , but he doesn’t have as much money at risk and we didn’t plan for a replacement.