Street & Smith's take on the Commanders

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I got Street & Smith's Pro Football Yearbook today off of the newsstand and I found it interesting what they have to say about the Commanders. They seem to have a pretty similar view as to what a lot of us around here have. I say "they" but really, the part I'm talking about is from a section they do for each team called "View From The Other Sideline". It is where Street and Smith's asks a coach or scout from a rival team what they think about that particular team. I like it because it isn't just some writer's opinion. It's actually what a member of the NFL thinks about the team and their offseason moves and so is probably a lot more likely to be on target. I usually don't put too much stock into what the preseason magazines say... but coming from an opposing team, I think this is pretty credible. I think it's on target, too.

Anyway, here is what the opposing coach or scout said about the Commanders and their offseason:

"The Commanders are the Commanders. They make a big splash every year. They go out and throw money around and throw it at the wrong players. They come in and have to fight to get to 8-8. They really weren't a playoff team. [Adam] Archuleta is just a guy. Brandon Lloyd is just a guy, not a difference-maker. Defensively, Gregg Williams is a magician. He's done more with less than any defensive coordinator in the league. They'll be good defensively, but offensively I think they'll go backwards because [Mark] Brunell is a year older. Al Saunders will put in a complete new offense and, if you look where it's been installed at new places, it takes two years for it to fire up. The first year he was in Kansas City, they were 6-10. It's a very complicated offense and different from anything Joe Gibbs is used to. I don't think they'll win eight games."

Commander fans... if you don't believe me, pick a copy up for yourself. I didn't add a thing to that coach's thoughts.

I find it funny because that's what Cowboy fans have been saying since the end of last season. That Archuleta and Lloyd are very average pick-ups, at best and that although they were in the playoffs last year... the team wasn't really very good and had a plethora of holes... holes that Archuleta, Lloyd, Randal El, and Carter aren't going to be enough to fill.

The fact that the guy who said this is a coach or scout in the NFL gives a lot of weight to his opinion and lets us fans know that we're not the only one's who see Washington as somewhat less than a second round playoff team.

In another spot, the rival coach or scout wonders how Brunell will do with Saunders offense... how quickly he'll pick it up. He says:

"The key is how quickly he grasps the offense. It's a complicated offense, all [about] speed cuts. He does have some wide receivers who fit. [Santana] Moss fits. [Brandon] Lloyd will fit. [Chris] Cooley doesn't fit. There's no such thing as an H-back. [Clinton] Portis fits. Brunell is going to have to know where to go with the ball and get it out of his hands. Jason Campbell can't play in this offense right away. He could play in the old [Joe] Gibbs offense. This offense is a timing offense. If a receiver isn't exactly where he's supposed to be, it's going to be an interception. If the ball isn't out on time, it's not going to be a completion. No route adjustments, no audible system."

When I read that, I thought, "Boy... I don't know if Lloyd is going to be disciplined enough to run precise enough routes for that offense. He tends to march a litte to the beat of his own drummer, if you know what I mean. He might work just fine... but he'll have to be more disciplined than he's been in the past.

Anyway, I just thought all of this was interesting, coming from an actual NFL scout or coach.

Overall, a pretty good preseason magazine and it has NFL coach and scout takes on each team, so it's good to read takes from guys who really know what they're talking about.

I'm sure Commander fans will say that he doesn't know what he's talking about. :laugh1:

apickmans

Reaction score
He doesnt know what he's talking about. But seriously though, do you really believe everything these writers say in these NFL preview magazines??? I'm sure i could find one of these magazine talking crap about the cowboys and i could say "overall, a pretty good preseason magazine and it has NFL coach.......blah blah blah"......you get the point.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks! Would love to hear the opposing coach/scout analysis of our Cowboys. Can you provide?

PA Cowboy11

Reaction score
Reminds me of the offense Chan Gailey first ran when he came in. A lot of timing patterns and accurate throws, but then again we had Troy. I hope the Deadskins fans on ES get a look at this one!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
apickmans said:
He doesnt know what he's talking about. But seriously though, do you really believe everything these writers say in these NFL preview magazines??? I'm sure i could find one of these magazine talking crap about the cowboys and i could say "overall, a pretty good preseason magazine and it has NFL coach.......blah blah blah"......you get the point.

Yeah, we see the point...and it's on top of your head!

Those comments were made not by a writer, but a professional coach or scout...did you read that part! :rolleyes:

:dissskin: good dog, Gibbs...

apickmans

Reaction score
doesnt change the fact that all these magazines differ with opinions with different scouts.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
5Stars said:
Yeah, we see the point...and it's on top of your head!

Those comments were made not by a writer, but a professional coach or scout...did you read that part! :rolleyes:

:dissskin: good dog, Gibbs...

he;s a Commanders fan in denial what do u think?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
PA Cowboy11 said:
Reminds me of the offense Chan Gailey first ran when he came in. A lot of timing patterns and accurate throws, but then again we had Troy. I hope the Deadskins fans on ES get a look at this one!

Actually, that was the offense we ran under Norv Turner long before Gailey came here.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what is said about the boys?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
austintodallas said:
Very interesting, thanks! Would love to hear the opposing coach/scout analysis of our Cowboys. Can you provide?

Can do. Give me a bit to finish up some work stuff and I'll write what the opposing coach/scout said about us.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
apickmans said:
doesnt change the fact that all these magazines differ with opinions with different scouts.

"Commander fans... if you don't believe me, pick a copy up for yourself. I didn't add a thing to that coach's thoughts"

Apparently it was a COACH, not a scout....:rolleyes:

However, I'm sure little Art from ES is much smarter then...a PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL COACH?

:lmao:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField said:
Can do. Give me a bit to finish up some work stuff and I'll write what the opposing coach/scout said about us.
Thanks. Can you make it a different thread, too? Wouldn't want it to get lost in the mud that's about to get slung. :)

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Most Commanders fans will read the part about "it won't fire up until 2 years", and they'll immediately parade around talking about their 4th Super Bowl in 2008, guaranteed.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Thanks. Can you make it a different thread, too? Wouldn't want it to get lost in the mud that's about to get slung. :)

Haha! :) What else does that Crystalball show?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
5Stars said:
"Commander fans... if you don't believe me, pick a copy up for yourself. I didn't add a thing to that coach's thoughts"

Apparently it was a COACH, not a scout....:rolleyes:

However, I'm sure little Art from ES is much smarter then...a PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL COACH?

:lmao:

No... it could've been a scout or a coach. I just took a shortcut and didn't write "or scout". So, to be fair... it could be an opposing coach or an opposing scout from another NFL team.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

Sure will, WG.

skinsngibbs4life

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
the team wasn't really very good and had a plethora of holes... holes that Archuleta, Lloyd, Randal El, and Carter aren't going to be enough to fill.

You don't have to have the best of teams to win in the NFL. And the Skins showed with the run that they made at the end of last year. Winning in the NFL is as much attributed to heart and desire as it is skill. You all can read into this article as much as you want(because hell, it might be right), but untill any NFL team steps out onto the field, it doesnt mean anything.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
No... it could've been a scout or a coach. I just took a shortcut and didn't write "or scout". So, to be fair... it could be an opposing coach or an opposing scout from another NFL team.

Fair enough...the point being that whoever it came from, is a professional coach/scout, not a beat writer or whatnot, right?

:star: