Strength of Victory is a crappy tiebreaker

silvernblu

Reaction score
Eh when you have generally even records, there is no great tie breaker so you have to choose SOME sort of heuristic, imperfect though it may be.

I'm not sweating it though - the Giants always play the eagles well and may take one of those games anyway. Heck Seattle is still in it and could take the fight to them this weekend. Cowboys need to control what they can.
Don’t you think a much better measure is margin of victory in common opponents?

Shouldn’t it matter that Philly squeaks by in the same games we win in blowouts. I would say the same if it was opposite.

kskboys

Reaction score
What are we supposed to do? Lose to bad teams? Beating them hurts you.

We may find we are actually rooting for Philly to beat some of the weak teams they are playing.

We need to root for every non common opponent team we beat to win every week. And for the Jets. We need to root for Arizona to lose every game since it will hurt Philly to beat them.

We need KC to keep losing.and Vikes and Bucs to lose.

The real tiebreaker should be point differential in victories.
Your last line is basically the same thing you're arguing against.

kskboys

Reaction score
Or, just don't choke against Arizona.
It's really that simple.

We choked away both the ARI game and the first PHILLY game. If we want to be great(and we definitely do!!!), then that needs to stop. And it's not that we lost, it's the way we lost. Gotta stop.

kskboys

Reaction score

Shouldn’t it matter that Philly squeaks by in the same games we win in blowouts. I would say the same if it was opposite.
Isn't it way down on the list of tiebreakers? I mean, you gotta go to something if the first several don't work out.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Your last line is basically the same thing you're arguing against.
Really? Read the definition of strength of victory. It’s just the combined records of the opponents you beat. Nothing to do with score.

silvernblu

Reaction score
It's really that simple.

We choked away both the ARI game and the first PHILLY game. If we want to be great(and we definitely do!!!), then that needs to stop. And it's not that we lost, it's the way we lost. Gotta stop.

It's really that simple.

We? Well you should have prepared better. What player are you? What position did you play in those games? Were you perfect? It’s a team game.

Or do you mean “we” as you sitting on your couch eating wings and drinking beer?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score

I definitely think that point margin is more important that NFC vs. AFC wins. But not so significantly that I care. Because on the other hand, I'm more embarrassed that the Cowboys lost to a dobbs led Cards team than the eagles should be being beat by the Jets.

kskboys

Reaction score
We? Well you should have prepared better. What player are you? What position did you play in those games? Were you perfect? It’s a team game.

Or do you mean “we” as you sitting on your couch eating wings and drinking beer?
Are you always this unaware of your surroundings and simple semantics? I mean, this is one of the worst replies I've ever seen. Completely failed to address any issues. And turned to really bad 3rd grade insults. Want to try again in more of an adult mode?

Creeper

Reaction score
Given the schedules of the Eagles and Cowboys I think it will not get to the tiebreakers. But it is interesting that is Dallas and Philly both lose this week and then both win out, the strength of victory tie-breaker would come into play, and yes, it would suck to lose the division because we beat up on crappy teams. But the alternative is to beat the good teams.

vicjagger

Reaction score
isn't this the last tie breaker on the list? for teams in the same division it really comes down to the 3 non-common games based on where you finished last year and how the opponents are doing.

for non-division tie breakers, I believe its also the last tie breaker. and that one gets iffy
My understanding:
1 H 2 H
2 Division
3 Common (NFCW + AFCE)
4 Conference (NFCW + (CAR / DET VS TB / GB)
5 Strength of Victory

AFC non common games do not count in any tie-breaker. ( Chargers vs Chiefs)

Flamma

Reaction score
What are we supposed to do? Lose to bad teams? Beating them hurts you.

We may find we are actually rooting for Philly to beat some of the weak teams they are playing.

We need to root for every non common opponent team we beat to win every week. And for the Jets. We need to root for Arizona to lose every game since it will hurt Philly to beat them.

We need KC to keep losing.and Vikes and Bucs to lose.

The real tiebreaker should be point differential in victories.
Beating bad teams doesn't hurt you, it just doesn't help as much as beating good teams.

Strength of victory just determines who beat better teams. Beating KC, Buffalo, and Miami is a lot harder than beating the Giants twice and Carolina.

Point differential in wins rewards teams that beat lesser opponents.

Flamma

Reaction score
Given the schedules of the Eagles and Cowboys I think it will not get to the tiebreakers. But it is interesting that is Dallas and Philly both lose this week and then both win out, the strength of victory tie-breaker would come into play, and yes, it would suck to lose the division because we beat up on crappy teams. But the alternative is to beat the good teams.
Yeah, we'd lose the strength of victory tie breaker in that scenario. We need to either win out and hope the Eagles drop a game. Or lose one game and hope the Eagles drop one to the Giants.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Strength of Victory is a crappy tiebreaker​

200.gif

silvernblu

Reaction score
Beating bad teams doesn't hurt you, it just doesn't help as much as beating good teams.

Strength of victory just determines who beat better teams. Beating KC, Buffalo, and Miami is a lot harder than beating the Giants twice and Carolina.

Point differential in wins rewards teams that beat lesser opponents.
False