Strickly Hypothetical

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Lets say Harrington struggled in Detroit this year. If he became available, would you consider signing this guy?

Remember, he's playing in a WCO. That offense is considerably more complicated then ours.

Also remember that he has, for the most part, been in a situation where he's played with guys who were also new to that offense. Not surrounded by vets.

Not saying it would happen but just a what if type thing.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Lets say Harrington struggled in Detroit this year. If he became available, would you consider signing this guy?

Remember, he's playing in a WCO. That offense is considerably more complicated then ours.

Also remember that he has, for the most part, been in a situation where he's played with guys who were also new to that offense. Not surrounded by vets.

Not saying it would happen but just a what if type thing.

No,

This guy has decent NFL talent, but it looks like he doesnt ahve a strong enough mind to last with BP. BP would break this guy and we'll see him on SC crying.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Mooch is a pretty fair developer of QBs.

If he can't work with Joey, Bill can't

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I'd definitely look into it if I were running the Cowboys.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
If he struggles in Detroit, he'll struggle here. He's got all the tools one needs to succeed at QB there. If he can't cut it in Detroit then not no, but hell no. Look at who he has to work with. Even Drew Henson could have success there. That team is stacked with weapons.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Mooch is a pretty fair developer of QBs.

If he can't work with Joey, Bill can't

That's true but I look at the offenses and I can't help but wonder what he might do if he were running a conventional offense, as opposed to a WC.

I was watching a discussion last night with Dan Fouts and some others and they were discussing the fact that some of the great QBs would have been great regardless but some only fit in certain types of offenses. Basically a system QB discussion. That got me to thinking and that lead me to Harrington. I watched him in college and I honestly thought he would be a great QB. I might have completely missed the boat on this one but still, I know I saw something there.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
YES in a heart beat....

Detroit has never had an O line as good as ours, This will be the first year with a good TE (a qb's best friend) and their D hasn't been able to stop anyone. Plus he's had to look over his shoulder his entire time in the NFL because the media has always questioned if the back up was better at the time than him he was never given a fair chance by the fans and media in detroit to do well.....

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
That's true but I look at the offenses and I can't help but wonder what he might do if he were running a conventional offense, as opposed to a WC.

I was watching a discussion last night with Dan Fouts and some others and they were discussing the fact that some of the great QBs would have been great regardless but some only fit in certain types of offenses. Basically a system QB discussion. That got me to thinking and that lead me to Harrington. I watched him in college and I honestly thought he would be a great QB. I might have completely missed the boat on this one but still, I know I saw something there.
Well, I can see Joey as a wco QB before I can see Mike Vick, tho I suppose the footwork angle was as much as anything an attempt to max out mobility and minimize the height problem.

I just don't care for Harrington, never have. I see nothing special in him, in any area.

My idea of a fantastic young talent is Palmer.

But he won't be on the market for a generation, and Harrington may well be soon.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Well, I can see Joey as a wco QB before I can see Mike Vick, tho I suppose the footwork angle was as much as anything an attempt to max out mobility and minimize the height problem.

I just don't care for Harrington, never have. I see nothing special in him, in any area.

My idea of a fantastic young talent is Palmer.

But he won't be on the market for a generation, and Harrington may well be soon.

Palmer. Well, yeah.

However, you've hit the nail on the head when you project who might be out there. It sucks that we have to rummage through the broken bodies of, what is, the NFL QB morgue for QBs.

I wished we'd just taken a QB when we had the chance. I look back and see Aaron Rodgers going to GB at 24 and it just bothers the hell out of me.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

Perhaps Joey only fits into the the system of Coach Tedfords who was his offensive coordinator coach at Oregon. I have heard people talk about Tedford being a good coach who makes qbs look better in college than they really are. The list included Akili Smith and Joey Harrington at Oregon and Kyle Boller and Aarron Rodgers at Cal.

I don't think Joey has a strong arm and Bill likes to throw the ball down field when the play action is working. It probably wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a look see because if he fails in Detroit he won't command that much money. I guess it will depend on how this season goes. Re-evaluate at the end after seeing how Bledsoe and/or Henson do.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Perhaps Joey only fits into the the system of Coach Tedfords who was his offensive coordinator coach at Oregon. I have heard people talk about Tedford being a good coach who makes qbs look better in college than they really are. The list included Akili Smith and Joey Harrington at Oregon and Kyle Boller and Aarron Rodgers at Cal.

I don't think Joey has a strong arm and Bill likes to throw the ball down field when the play action is working. It probably wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a look see because if he fails in Detroit he won't command that much money. I guess it will depend on how this season goes. Re-evaluate at the end after seeing how Bledsoe and/or Henson do.

Sad but true. Man I hate this crap.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
He's got a noodle arm, and he's too timid to throw the ball down field. I think if he can't work it out in the WCO, I don't see a down the field system as a better fit.

TheHustler

Reaction score
The WCO is so QB oriented. If he can't complete a 5 yard pass, I don't want him anywhere near a Cowboy uniform.