Sturm: Breaking Down Matt Cassel

Sturm1310

Reaction score
We often discuss the realities of the QB position in the NFL and rough estimates that would suggest that there are about 10-15 Quarterbacks who can play the sport at a top level. This, of course, is not enough to go around and that leaves a lot of "have- not's" who sift through the leftovers to look for a QB who can at least hold the fort until they can find their next savior.

Once upon a time, that savior was Matt Cassel. The Kansas City Chiefs were in desperate need of an option at the QB position and this 27-year old backup from New England was worth the price they were forced to pay. And for parts of the next 3 years, he represented that promise that they might have their man. He went to a Pro Bowl and the Playoffs and all of the places that you hope that QB will take you.

This was after the Patriots needed Cassel to play an entire season in 2008 after Tom Brady was hurt in Week 1, Quarter 1 (By who else? The Kansas City Chiefs). Cassel played a very solid year of backup-QB football (with a team that almost went 19-0 the year before) that helped lead the Patriots to 11-5 in the final year of his rookie deal.

Read the rest:
http://beta.sportsdaydfw.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2015/10/20/sturm-look-matt-cassel

Last edited by a moderator:

Sydla

Reaction score
Definitely going to be interesting. I think Weeden is trash but I also suspect that Linehan and Garrett were risk adverse with him as well.

I'd rather go down swinging and lose games that way, then lose games because we called a conservative game and Weeden turning an already conservative game plan even more conservative.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Good stuff.

He clearly reads better, is more patient, and less apprehensive than Weeden. He also moves better and can throw on the run, which Weeden cannot.

Certainly an upgrade.

I'm a little more at ease with this move.

Looking at your avatar... TCU fan? ;)

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I'm a little more at ease with this move.

Looking at your avatar... TCU fan? ;)

Yup -- got a son attending.

Grew up in Arlington, and used to watch many of the SWC games there, in the 60's.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Great article. The only thing he failed to mention, which I find important, is that the 2013 Vikings won 5 games all year. Cassel was DIRECTLY responsible for ALL FIVE VICTORIES, either coming off the bench to replace Ponder, or starting in place of the struggling Ponder. Had the Vikings just given up on Ponder early in the season and handed the reigns over to Cassel that year, they may have been in contention for the at least a wildcard.

He also didn't mention that, in 2014, Cassel won the starting job for the Vikings with a great preseason, and played great in the first game of the season in a victory over the Rams. Of course, as he does mention, the whole team was derailed a week later by the Peterson suspension and Cassel broke his foot in week three, ending up on the IR.

The bottom line is this; Cassel is going to put points on the board. He's also going to turn the ball over. All the Cowboys can hope is that the defense is strong enough now to hold the other team to FG's or less when that happens. If so, I think at least two wins is more likely than not.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Yup -- got a son attending.

Grew up in Arlington, and used to watch many of the SWC games there, in the 60's.

That's great. I'm sure you're a proud father. I remember the good ole SWC. I miss those days. I do enjoy watching the Horned Frogs, but with one caveat, I detest all the different uniforms and color combinations that are being trotted out onto the football fields on Saturdays. It's not just TCU, although they started doing this back when Andy Dalton started to become a household name.

Apologies for my rant. Allow me to continue. I'm old school when it comes to school colors and uniforms. Earlier this year I watched two big name universities clash. Georgia and Tennessee. Very recognizable logos and colors that emanate from both football teams, especially the Volunteers. Then Tennessee comes out in all grey uniforms. When did grey enter the equation? It was ridiculous. TCU, Baylor, and many more universities have joined the likes of Oregon with off colors and logos that break tradition and pageantry.

So yeah, like your avatar. ;)

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
That's great. I'm sure you're a proud father. I remember the good ole SWC. I miss those days. I do enjoy watching the Horned Frogs, but with one caveat, I detest all the different uniforms and color combinations that are being trotted out onto the football fields on Saturdays. It's not just TCU, although they started doing this back when Andy Dalton started to become a household name.

Apologies for my rant. Allow me to continue. I'm old school when it comes to school colors and uniforms. Earlier this year I watched two big name universities clash. Georgia and Tennessee. Very recognizable logos and colors that emanate from both football teams, especially the Volunteers. Then Tennessee comes out in all grey uniforms. When did grey enter the equation? It was ridiculous. TCU, Baylor, and many more universities have joined the likes of Oregon with off colors and logos that break tradition and pageantry.

So yeah, like your avatar. ;)

Black and grey with just the school color trim -- that's supposed to look meaner, you know. I don't really like all that stuff either, but it reportedly helps in recruiting and jersey sales. Deep-pockets Knight sure ruined some traditions.

Do you remember if Garrett himself was ultraconservative or apprehensive when he played, regarding downfield throws?
Tony has been somewhat of a gunslinger, and that has been tempered somewhat; I wonder if JG has tried to reel him in, and if he'll do that also with Cassel. Our O needs to be a lot more imaginative and diversified; I hope the Jr High vanilla variety was just because of Weeden.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We often discuss the realities of the QB position in the NFL and rough estimates that would suggest that there are about 10-15 Quarterbacks who can play the sport at a top level. This, of course, is not enough to go around and that leaves a lot of "have- not's" who sift through the leftovers to look for a QB who can at least hold the fort until they can find their next savior.

Another very good read Bob. I really enjoyed that. Living in Chief territory I've had the pleasure (cough cough) of witnessing Cassel and even following him after his time spent in KC. Your assessment of what he can and can't do is absolutely spot on. There is no question he will upgrade the QB play and give us a better chance to win. Coming off a bye week and knowing he will start is the perfect time to insert him into the starting lineup. I'm very anxious to see how he does against the Gints on Sunday. Thanks for write up.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Sturm...we avidly consume your material here on site.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Once upon a time, that savior was Matt Cassel. The Kansas City Chiefs were in desperate need of an option at the QB position and this 27-year old backup from New England was worth the price they were forced to pay. And for parts of the next 3 years, he represented that promise that they might have their man. He went to a Pro Bowl and the Playoffs and all of the places that you hope that QB will take you.

This was after the Patriots needed Cassel to play an entire season in 2008 after Tom Brady was hurt in Week 1, Quarter 1 (By who else? The Kansas City Chiefs). Cassel played a very solid year of backup-QB football (with a team that almost went 19-0 the year before) that helped lead the Patriots to 11-5 in the final year of his rookie deal.

Read the rest:
http://beta.sportsdaydfw.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2015/10/20/sturm-look-matt-cassel

My take is that when a QB has been really good at times but also bad at times, that the scheme/coaching are going to be a big factor in his future success/failure.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Black and grey with just the school color trim -- that's supposed to look meaner, you know. I don't really like all that stuff either, but it reportedly helps in recruiting and jersey sales. Deep-pockets Knight sure ruined some traditions.

Do you remember if Garrett himself was ultraconservative or apprehensive when he played, regarding downfield throws?
Tony has been somewhat of a gunslinger, and that has been tempered somewhat; I wonder if JG has tried to reel him in, and if he'll do that also with Cassel. Our O needs to be a lot more imaginative and diversified; I hope the Jr High vanilla variety was just because of Weeden.

Jason was a decent backup. Even helped us win an important game at one point in his career. He wasn't afraid of the position. I believe Linehan and possibly even Romo coached up Weeden to be careful. That's just my theory. But really, I just don't feel Weeden had much confidence considering he hasn't won a start in his last 12 games. That can weigh heavily on anyone.

I think it mainly was all Weeden afraid of making a mistake that led to check down after nauseating check down.

CCBoy

Reaction score
My take is that when a QB has been really good at times but also bad at times, that the scheme/coaching are going to be a big factor in his future success/failure.

I'm thinking that team directions are headed strongly up, and this will add to an early gained perspective for Cassell. He should be fine, if the defense and run games are solid and no turn overs.

eternaljester81

Reaction score
I enjoyed the article, and breakdown of plays. Very informative.

But, did anyone else scroll down and see Gosselin's piece where he thinks Stafford could end up replacing Romo in a few years? Odd...