Sturm: Breaking Down Matt Cassel

CCBoy

Reaction score
I enjoyed the article, and breakdown of plays. Very informative.

But, did anyone else scroll down and see Gosselin's piece where he thinks Stafford could end up replacing Romo in a few years? Odd...

I think the Pope is Catholic, but I really don't think he converts another direction...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
So basically, Cassel could be very good, or very bad.

Unless Dez is playing, I don't particularly like his odds.

gmoney112

Reaction score

Unless Dez is playing, I don't particularly like his odds.

Dez playing is going to greatly swing whether we're dogs or not.

The plus is, our pass protection is much better than he had in Minnesota, and he can make NFL throws. They're going to keep him somewhat conservative if Dez isn't in the game, and there were opportunities in a few of our last games were guys were wide open. If he can simply step into a clean pocket and make those throws, we'll win this Giants game.

Zman5

Reaction score
My take is that when a QB has been really good at times but also bad at times, that the scheme/coaching are going to be a big factor in his future success/failure.

You must be wrong. I read it here that coaching and scheme don't matter.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I mentioned with Weeden that his QB rating was entirely too high. I don't mind if Cassel throws a couple interceptions as long as he gets this offense going. The better he does and the earlier he does it will pay dividends with this defense. The defense will be able to bail him out a bit, and hopefully they use the running game to support him as well.

He should be able to beat Tampa, Philly, and New York. If he could beat Seattle as well though... I'm clearly getting ahead of myself.

This defense just needs someone who can successfully move the chains and put up a decent amount of points. They'll do the rest.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I mentioned with Weeden that his QB rating was entirely too high. I don't mind if Cassel throws a couple interceptions as long as he gets this offense going. The better he does and the earlier he does it will pay dividends with this defense. The defense will be able to bail him out a bit, and hopefully they use the running game to support him as well.

He should be able to beat Tampa, Philly, and New York. If he could beat Seattle as well though... I'm clearly getting ahead of myself.

This defense just needs someone who can successfully move the chains and put up a decent amount of points. They'll do the rest.

Seeing as how they never get any turnovers, if Cassel throws even 2 interceptions they are going to lose. Teams at -2 on the turnover battle lose 80% of the time.
Cherry-picking gifs aside, it doesn't matter because Cassel doesn't play like that. He's an inaccurate dink and dunk quarterback who makes safe throws and plays smart and with guts. I don't expect a lot of interceptions, he's not stupid enough to throw to our wideouts sans Dez either.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Seeing as how they never get any turnovers, if Cassel throws even 2 interceptions they are going to lose. Teams at -2 on the turnover battle lose 80% of the time.
Cherry-picking gifs aside, it doesn't matter because Cassel doesn't play like that. He's an inaccurate dink and dunk quarterback who makes safe throws and plays smart and with guts. I don't expect a lot of interceptions, he's not stupid enough to throw to our wideouts sans Dez either.

That simply doesn't mesh with his numbers.

Cassel isn't a great elite QB, but he is 34-39 compared to Weeden who is 5-19.

Cassel gives us a much better chance of going 50-50 in the next four games, especially if the defense shows up.

If Linehan calls for dink and dunk, we'll continue to see that, but he is capable of more. He can pass to players who aren't tight ends or running backs.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score

What did this guy to do you?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's an inaccurate dink and dunk quarterback who makes safe throws and plays smart and with guts. I don't expect a lot of interceptions, he's not stupid enough to throw to our wideouts sans Dez either.

Did you even bother to read the article? Because what you said is almost the exact opposite of what most expect.

Bigrandrn

Reaction score

Unless Dez is playing, I don't particularly like his odds

Cassel has has some great round, one in NE, in KC, and the 5 wins for the vikes. His numbers in his good year in KC were good, and he didn't have our defense.
Start cassel, start a grinder in CMike, use Randell the way we did Dunbar and Mac can back up, and start Collins at guard.

When Gregory gets back its Gregory Crawford hardy Lawrence....bet we get call kinds of pressure. Lee romac and kitchens and all the corners we have.......we need to make these changes now and don't look back. Weeded and randle aren't the answers. Look at the pats game atrocious offence, Dominant defense.this this's will get us enough wins till dez and romo come back and keep CMike as starter....I think we can do some damage