Twitter: Sturm doesn't want us to forget Cowboys missed playoffs because of these things from 2019

Big_D

Reaction score
It wasn't the defense that lost two of those games.

NY scored 21 points in the first 57 minutes of the game. It was the offense that was terrible in this game.

Buffalo scored 13 points in first and 13 points in second, not like they were running up and down the field. The offense scored on their first possession and then took 51 minutes to score again. With offensive support Dallas could have been competitive in this game.

The Chicago game was the worst for the defense all year, followed by Green Bay(Detroit also).

Like I have stated many times. In the wins the offense averaged 37 points, in the losses 17. A 20 point drop off. The defense averaged 17 points in the wins, and 23 in losses, a 6 point difference.

Take out the two bad games I referred to and the average for the defense is 20 points in losses. 20 points average is what Dallas averaged for the year and was 11th in the NFL. The defense was actually quite steady in 2019.

When the offense underperformed Dallas loss. The problem was they underperformed a lot, very inconsistent. That's the story of 2019.

The offense fell behind early and often all year. I forgot the actual numbers, they were posted here sometime during the season, but they were outscored something like 70-7 in the first few drives to start games. It was a ridiculous number. And really no surprise things went the way they did.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The defensive performances vs Buffalo and Chicago were tough to watch. I will also say when you lose that Jets game it had to come back to haunt you.

2019 was one of the most disappointing seasons of all time in my opinion. Rough at many levels.

I agree. It certainly was the single biggest wasted opportunity of a season in this team's history.

But to watch otherwise mediocre to downright bad quarterbacks light up our defense repeatedly was tough to watch. And then to hear guys like Sam Darnold saying afterwards that "the Cowboys just do what they do" is particularly galling. And then the next week he's "seeing ghosts" against the Patriots. Yeah, we're playing checkers, they're playing chess.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Dak, Maher, Defense, Garrett. Defense meaning dline, linebackers, CBs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. It's true the defense and ST's failed us too often, but the offense is far from blameless. The offense was explosive at times, but it was way too inconsistent.

I could not and would not begin to disagree with that either. I absolutely do not want to give the impression that I consider the offense blameless at all.

Honestly, at various times, all three phases let this team down in 2019. It was never all one single group's fault.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

NY scored 21 points in the first 57 minutes of the game. It was the offense that was terrible in this game.

Buffalo scored 13 points in first and 13 points in second, not like they were running up and down the field. The offense scored on their first possession and then took 51 minutes to score again. With offensive support Dallas could have been competitive in this game.

The Chicago game was the worst for the defense all year, followed by Green Bay(Detroit also).

Like I have stated many times. In the wins the offense averaged 37 points, in the losses 17. A 20 point drop off. The defense averaged 17 points in the wins, and 23 in losses, a 6 point difference.

Take out the two bad games I referred to and the average for the defense is 20 points in losses. 20 points average is what Dallas averaged for the year and was 11th in the NFL. The defense was actually quite steady in 2019.

When the offense underperformed Dallas loss. The problem was they underperformed a lot, very inconsistent. That's the story of 2019.

From a straight points per game standpoint you are correct. I dont think the defensive is a deprived of talent as some want to believe. However when you look at the old school bend but dont break scheme we were throwing out there week after week this team never took advantage of inferior competitions weaknesses. This defense allowed a lot of yards and a lot of time to come off the clock with that style of play. It's a big reason why the cowboys were among the worst in starting field position. And on top of that we rarely got turnovers, which is a something you would expect from a heavy zone scheme.

They could keep you in games, but that's about it. This defense didnt do much as far as actually helping the team win games.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the defense was bad so was the offense and special teams coaching would of made a lot of difference in last years team

ondaedg

Reaction score
It should be noted that the Cowboys under Garrett have always allowed a higher than avg completion rate along with the NFL worst INT takeaway rate since 2011.

Garrett 2011 - 2019
31st opponent comp percentage 65.3%
28th opponent QB rating 93.1
32nd INT takeaways.

These are Garrett issues and not the fault of any single season roster.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

nathan-fillion.gif

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. It certainly was the single biggest wasted opportunity of a season in this team's history.

But to watch otherwise mediocre to downright bad quarterbacks light up our defense repeatedly was tough to watch. And then to hear guys like Sam Darnold saying afterwards that "the Cowboys just do what they do" is particularly galling. And then the next week he's "seeing ghosts" against the Patriots. Yeah, we're playing checkers, they're playing chess.

.......which is exactly what every team says the past 6 seasons. The whole world knows Marinelli's defense and what's coming. ........ which is why I blame Richard less. Marinelli was also still weighing in heavy on the defensive personnel. We wouldn't have guys like Trystan Hill if Marinelli wasn't pounding tables on draft day.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
.......which is exactly what every team says the past 6 seasons. The whole world knows Marinelli's defense and what's coming. ........ which is why I blame Richard less. Marinelli was also still weighing in heavy on the defensive personnel. We wouldn't have guys like Trystan Hill if Marinelli wasn't pounding tables on draft day.

Entirely true.
:thumbup:

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score

It's almost as if Dak can't hit the broadside of a barn at times..... And people wonder why I'm hesitant on Dak

Don't get me wrong either - our 1 score games were dismal as well

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The defensive performances vs Buffalo and Chicago were tough to watch. I will also say when you lose that Jets game it had to come back to haunt you.

2019 was one of the most disappointing seasons of all time in my opinion. Rough at many levels.

Really the first time in 45 years I did not celebrate being a Cowboy. And that's a lot of bad games and seasons. Not just lost but the WAY we lost....and how much enthusiasm I had going in. Not even a big "2019 coaches suck/hater"....but I was happy to let it all flushed and start over with...WHOEVER!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's almost as if Dak can't hit the broadside of a barn at times..... And people wonder why I'm hesitant on Dak

Don't get me wrong either - our 1 score games were dismal as well

Still trying to find some video clips on some of those terrible passes. Everyone like to do highlights but I need a lowlights for some reminders.