Sturm: Kudos to the Cowboys for Learning How to Manage the Cap

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think better drafting is the reason for this. They haven't needed to restructure as much because they have younger better players through the draft.

You have to have the will to move on from veterans too, or you just sit the young talent you draft, and then lose them in free agency.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not removed my finger from lackluster coaching. Far from it. I am only pointing out that some--not all but some--player mistakes occurred because of the player alone. There are some fine details that players are coached their entire sports life they alone goof up. My best example is the drive killing fumble by DeMarco Murray in the 2014 NFC Divisional game against Green Bay. Peppers made an outstanding stab at the ball but the likelihood he would have caused a fumble is remotely small if Murray had remembered ball security coaching running backs routinely get from junior high up.

Murray was fumbling noticeably during the regular season that year. Coaches attempted to address the problem. In this particular instance, I cannot fault coaching for not preventing the problem from re-occurring at a key moment in a do-or-die game when it is the player who must take the instruction given and apply it in-game. Coaching's other recourse would be to remove the player from the field. Murray was the best running back option. It is kinda like a Catch-22 situation that is not really a Catch-22 situation if the player simply takes care of a completely routine precaution.

That's a good example, but if one wants to reach hard enough, they can find one or two of those in every game. And then it's never the coaches' fault. Not saying that's you, but others I've seen.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have not removed my finger from lackluster coaching. Far from it. I am only pointing out that some--not all but some--player mistakes occurred because of the player alone. There are some fine details that players are coached their entire sports life they alone goof up. My best example is the drive killing fumble by DeMarco Murray in the 2014 NFC Divisional game against Green Bay. Peppers made an outstanding stab at the ball but the likelihood he would have caused a fumble is remotely small if Murray had remembered ball security coaching running backs routinely get from junior high up.

Murray was fumbling noticeably during the regular season that year. Coaches attempted to address the problem. In this particular instance, I cannot fault coaching for not preventing the problem from re-occurring at a key moment in a do-or-die game when it is the player who must take the instruction given and apply it in-game. Coaching's other recourse would be to remove the player from the field. Murray was the best running back option. It is kinda like a Catch-22 situation that is not really a Catch-22 situation if the player simply takes care of a completely routine precaution.

Very true...…….but despite the fumble, we cold have won the game had it not been for Garretts gaffs on clock management and play calling at the very end.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Well it only took them a quarter of a century, but kudos to the front office for figuring out the cap. The drafting has definitely gotten better, though. :thumbup:

I'm tired of looking at JG as much as a lot of people, but "coaching" has become the excuse for everything. It's as if players are not accountable, unless it's a particular player that the poster hates.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a good example, but if one wants to reach hard enough, they can find one or two of those in every game. And then it's never the coaches' fault. Not saying that's you, but others I've seen.
Understood. I am referring to blatant totally preventable gaffes.

Another example. Coaches often conduct practices while pumping in lots of noise, which is a simple coaching technique to get players accustomed to every down auditory distraction. Fast forward to game day and the offense is in a crucial late-game third-and-short situation or in barely reasonable field goal position before the attempt.

Next thing you know. "False start. Number ____ of the offense/kicking team yada yada yada." It is enough to make you want to put your fist through the television screen. It is a situation that is coached. In my opinion, it does not matter to me if the coach was Landry or Garrett. One great. The other has not achieved much. However, both would have done the exact same thing to prevent the knife-in-the-back mistake from happening but it is the player who still failed.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We all love to complain, but this team is being run very well - and no matter how much we want to deny him credit, a lot of that goes to Jerry.

The Cowboys are top-5 in talent and have become very consistent in drafting quality, reliable players.

The arrow is pointing up.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very true...…….but despite the fumble, we cold have won the game had it not been for Garretts gaffs on clock management and play calling at the very end.
The final game result has been and will continue to be discussed. I am only commenting on player miscues where proper coaching was implemented, the player failed and coaches seemingly receive 'too much' blame in comparison to the player himself.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all love to complain, but this team is being run very well - and no matter how much we want to deny him credit, a lot of that goes to Jerry.

The Cowboys are top-5 in talent and have become very consistent in drafting quality, reliable players.

The arrow is pointing up.

I agree. Everyone talks about the amount of player talent the Cowboys have - and rightfully so, they do. But I don;t think Jerry Jones gets the credit he deserves as the GM behind putting all of that talent together. It may have been Will McClay and the scouts doing a good job, but Jones is the man that put them in place and allowed them to do their jobs. And he's also the guy that did his homework on a player like Jaylon Smith and took the chance that no one else would have. He deserves a lot of credit for moves like that, while also deserving blame as an owner exceedingly loyal to a head coach when others wouldn't have either.

J12B

Reaction score
They know what they are doing. Great drafting has lead to all of these problems which are good problems to have.

And also not reworking deals on their top paid players for cap relief. Pay them off earlier rather than later.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think drafting well and not diving head 1st into FA. Every year people here are going on about how Jerry does not care about winning as to why he does not seek massive FA deals when FA market opens. Recently this off season people were mad for Jerry not signing Earl Thomas to a 4 year 55 mill deal to a player who is 30 and coming off some big injuries over the last 3 seasons. I like Earl but give me a break I would not pay a 30 year old player top 5 money especially with the injury history. Yet all I heard was Jerry was cheap, Jerry does not care about winning.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Am I just stating the obvious if I say Belichick would win many SuperBowls with this current batch of players on the Cowboys roster?

The team that Parcells built did not lack talent. Jerry should get some credit for that talent too, as he insisted on both Ware and TO.

But there was an ocean of mismanagement when Parcells left, starting with the coaching hires and OC/HC in waiting The Red Menace. Jerry is right for blaming himself for not getting Tony some rings.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think drafting well and not diving head 1st into FA. Every year people here are going on about how Jerry does not care about winning as to why he does not seek massive FA deals when FA market opens.

The best thing they're doing is showing restraint in free agency. Every year I cheer.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
A great article by Bob Sturm. Below are some highlights.

"There has been a real sea-change in the way the Cowboys have managed their cap over the last decade and I don’t think we talk about it enough. They spent many years thinking they could outsmart the league and the cap by restructuring deal upon deal to push cap charges down the road. The trouble with that tactic is that players have diminishing value on the field because they are humans who sustain damage to their bodies. If you try to game the system and move their money down the road when their abilities have diminished, then you have expensive players who are no longer very good. Even though you are paying more, you are now winning less.

Instead, the modern Cowboys seem to have learned that the best way to retain your best talent rarely involves restructuring deals. Pay the piper when they are great and get the guaranteed money accounted for while they’re worth it. Then, if the player diminishes, the contract is no longer guaranteed on the back half. I believe we will see the Cowboys say goodbye to some familiar names if they are no longer worth their annual number without suffering dead-money ramifications."

Kudos to the front office for this kudos to our drafting abilities the past 3-5 years. Now if Jerry would lift the ban on hiring real coaches (Kris Richard is the exception) instead of friends & former players, we might be a scary team.

I don't know if I agree that Dallas is doing what is being said here. If you look at the contracts they've done lately, they are set up where they can be restructured if needed to open up immediate cap space, just like those previous contracts that were restructured for that purpose. For example, Lawrence has base salaries of $16 million and $17 million in 2020 and 2021. The Cowboys could convert either year to bonus if needed, spreading the cap hit over the next five years.

The main difference is Dallas hasn't had to do that this year. (Note that Dallas restructured Frederick's contract just March 2018, creating $7 million in cap space.) Not restructuring is preferred by any team because it doesn't want to push guaranteed money into the back end of contracts, so the team will avoid it if it can. Sometimes cap dollar juggling is necessary, though.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article206393259.html

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The team that Parcells built did not lack talent. Jerry should get some credit for that talent too, as he insisted on both Ware and TO.

But there was an ocean of mismanagement when Parcells left, starting with the coaching hires and OC/HC in waiting The Red Menace. Jerry is right for blaming himself for not getting Tony some rings.
I didn't like the hire of Jason Garrett as OC before Wade Phillips was hired as HC. I thought that was a bad way to introduce a new HC to the team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The best thing they're doing is showing restraint in free agency. Every year I cheer.

I agree. They are looking to mid level FA and some have worked out well for this team. However because of that they are able to take care of key draft picks. As for Cooper, Cowboys gambled and lost feeling that a group of Wide outs could handle the job over a real playmaker like Cooper. But by and large how Dallas has handled the draft and FA has been very good and I think putting this team in a position to challenge

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I agree. They are looking to mid level FA and some have worked out well for this team. However because of that they are able to take care of key draft picks. As for Cooper, Cowboys gambled and lost feeling that a group of Wide outs could handle the job over a real playmaker like Cooper. But by and large how Dallas has handled the draft and FA has been very good and I think putting this team in a position to challenge

Normally we don't even go mid level, but clearly thought we had to do something at DE with Gregory banned and Lawrence not under contract. I still don't dig the Cobb signing, and I note after all the initial hoopla, he's largely an afterthought at WR.

I wouldn't be shocked if they just shrug and cut Quinn. We've got numbers at DE, and he's a good chunk of change.

I was unthrilled with the Cooper signing. We gave up a 1st for a year and a half rental on Cooper, committing ourselves to signing him to an extension without having the contract in place. He's been better than expected, but still, I'm not sold that getting him in the first place was the right thing to do.

visionary

Reaction score
A great article by Bob Sturm. Below are some highlights.

"There has been a real sea-change in the way the Cowboys have managed their cap over the last decade and I don’t think we talk about it enough. They spent many years thinking they could outsmart the league and the cap by restructuring deal upon deal to push cap charges down the road. The trouble with that tactic is that players have diminishing value on the field because they are humans who sustain damage to their bodies. If you try to game the system and move their money down the road when their abilities have diminished, then you have expensive players who are no longer very good. Even though you are paying more, you are now winning less.

Instead, the modern Cowboys seem to have learned that the best way to retain your best talent rarely involves restructuring deals. Pay the piper when they are great and get the guaranteed money accounted for while they’re worth it. Then, if the player diminishes, the contract is no longer guaranteed on the back half. I believe we will see the Cowboys say goodbye to some familiar names if they are no longer worth their annual number without suffering dead-money ramifications."

Kudos to the front office for this kudos to our drafting abilities the past 3-5 years. Now if Jerry would lift the ban on hiring real coaches (Kris Richard is the exception) instead of friends & former players, we might be a scary team.

Only took em 30 years

At this rate Garrett has 21 more years before he becomes a halfway decent HC

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Normally we don't even go mid level, but clearly thought we had to do something at DE with Gregory banned and Lawrence not under contract. I still don't dig the Cobb signing, and I note after all the initial hoopla, he's largely an afterthought at WR.

I wouldn't be shocked if they just shrug and cut Quinn. We've got numbers at DE, and he's a good chunk of change.

I was unthrilled with the Cooper signing. We gave up a 1st for a year and a half rental on Cooper, committing ourselves to signing him to an extension without having the contract in place. He's been better than expected, but still, I'm not sold that getting him in the first place was the right thing to do.

We all have opinions. Myself I like Cobb on the deal he got, I think he adds an extra element to the slot with his ability to work down field. Not knocking Cole.
Quinn I think will be a big help at DE and on a 1 year deal cost is not that great.
Cooper, I had some reservation but given his impact at WR and given that he is still a young WR I don't have a problem with it. Dallas gave up a 1st and he played like a 1st.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Say what you want but the culture on this team really has changed for the better. People think jerry is the GM, but when guys like Will Mcclay and Steven Jones are more involved things are obviously better. Our scouts as well. Even Jason garret.He may not be the best coach but it seems he has the players respect.

I remember the days when dave campo and wade ran this team. We know it was craziness. Only other time we were decent is when Parcels took us to two playoff years with an inferior type roster.

We've drafted and scouted well. Seem to be making better decisions with money. Finally have a hope this team can be a winner both on and off the field.