News: Sturm: Morning After: Kiffin's defense suffocates Rams in Cowboys win

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a number of cliches in the sports world that attempt to convey the relative merits of coaching. The one that I catch myself referencing quite often is that "you cannot win the Kentucky Derby on a donkey."

This saying attempts to capture the idea that the jockey surely matters, but not very much if the animal on which the jockey rides is not of the proper quality to win against those of the highest regard.

I use this cliche at times to offer a normal helping of cynicism when a team attempts to alter the coaching staff, but at the same time keeping the players on the field the same as they were when the failure prompted the change to begin with. I am generally on the side that coaching definitely matters, but only to a reasonable distance. This silliness about a great coach like Bear Bryant or Don Shula being worthy of the "He can take his'n' and beat you'rn', and he can take you'rn' and beat his'n'" quote is amusing for dinner parties, but it is a wild insult to the actual players on either team.

Read the rest: http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/s...tes-rams-in-cowbo?blockID=943255&feedID=10194

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I was told that he's too old and his defense is too antiquated to take on the "modern" offenses and quarterbacks that are currently tearing the NFL up right now in San Francisco and Washington.

... just passing on what the football experts told me.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Well, I was told he was awesome and would tear it up. It's an Internet message board. Opinions are going to diverge widely.

Cowboy_Mo88

Reaction score
The read option is a fad and as evident the league has figured it out look at all the qbs from last year and what they are doing now. As far as d goes we are going to get tested big time in the next two weeks but pressure solves all as well as coverage if we come out of this then I'll be utterly impressed with d.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right now just wants these guys to continue to hustle and swam the ball. I don't expect to shut down top offense what I do expect is for this defense to make plays not wait for breaks to happen. I think the more comfortable guys are in this defense the more it will become 2nd nature to them in the meantime hustle, get to the ball nothing good happens when you are standing around.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Now, with Philip Rivers (8 TDs/1 INT/ 116 QB rating) and Peyton Manning (9 TDs/0 INT/ 130 QB rating)

I guess we are about to find out how good this D really is?

Oh wow. I didn't even know Peyton was doing that well but I surely didn't know Phillip Rivers was.....yea its definetly gonna be a test for this defense. The biggest one so far. Chargers lack a running game so that should help being we've been dominant against the run for the most part.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
The Saints have allowed 38 total points in three games......just saying

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Now, with Philip Rivers (8 TDs/1 INT/ 116 QB rating) and Peyton Manning (9 TDs/0 INT/ 130 QB rating)

Well, considering that the Chargers had 277 total net yards against the Titans, maybe not so much. With Floyd out, the Chargers best receiving threats on Sunday were a past his prime Antonio Gates and Danny Woodhead out of the backfield.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The road gets tougher for sure and I'm anxious to see if this defense is up to the test.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Hey if you want to pull out anointing oil 3 games into the season, then be sure to point that that Rob Ryan currently has a top 5 defense. I believe the main issue was health. Everyone is healthy right now. Sure Rat is hurt but he was last season too. Spencer is a jag, Selvie is proving that point this season. It was a nice win, but the Rams offense has few weapons. Sturn is usually very level headed but he went full homer in this one.

visionary

Reaction score

i am hoping that we beat the chargers this week because the next game against peyton in denver is not likely to be pretty

Doomsday101

Reaction score
i am hoping that we beat the chargers this week because the next game against peyton in denver is not likely to be pretty

SD is the only one they need to focus on then they can turn their attention to Denver.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our defense was outstanding yesterday. But I will say, Bradford got no help out there from his WRs. There were many good downfield passes that were right on target--some that were in scoring position--that were outright dropped by his receivers. That offensive tape's going to be ugly in STL today.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The read option is a fad and as evident the league has figured it out look at all the qbs from last year and what they are doing now. As far as d goes we are going to get tested big time in the next two weeks but pressure solves all as well as coverage if we come out of this then I'll be utterly impressed with d.

I don't think the league has figured it out. I just don't think teams want to risk getting their QB destroyed this early in the year.

If it isn't a staple of these offenses in late December and January then i'll be shocked.

Smith22

Reaction score
I don't think the league has figured it out. I it ust don't think teams want to risk getting their QB destroyed this early in the year.

If it isn't a staple of these offenses in late December and January then i'll be shocked.
The rule allowing the defense to blow up the QB on those plays scared those teams away from it IMO.