Image: Sturm: Morning After - Romo Restores Order

Sturm1310

Reaction score
Sturm: The Morning After - Romo Restores The Blueprint For Winning

1448232339-NS_22_moorecol_1123spo_08JL_47410855_765316.JPG
Jae S. Lee/Staff Photographer

[embedded slide show]

Finally, a Sunday afternoon where it all made sense again. The Cowboys roster seemed to look like it complimented itself from offense to defense as it took a lead and played just like you have come to expect.

The Cowboys, for lack of a better analogy, have built up a fantastic bullpen. If they were a baseball team, they might be the Kansas City Royals. If you don't get to them in the first six innings, you likely are not going to get to them because they have the arms in the bullpen to feed you nothing but gasoline in the final three frames.

That is the Cowboys. We saw it last year and on Sunday in Miami it was happening again. They had taken a lead early in the 4th Quarter with a long, balanced, and impressive drive that grounds and pounds the opponent all the way down the field with first down after first down logged and the clock ticks while the opposing defense tries to dig in. Tony Romo hits Dez Bryant for a Touchdown and the Cowboys now call on the bullpen as they have a save situation.

The Dolphins then commit a few really silly special teams errors, including the very odd Jarvis Landry kick return to the 4-yard line. The Dolphins must punt a few plays later and the Cowboys get wonderful field position at the Miami 21 after an equally brain-dead punter personal foul on the Lucky Whitehead return. This put the Cowboys up 10 with just under 10 minutes to play.

Goodnight, Miami.

[content added by moderator]

http://www.sportsdaydfw.com/dallas-...sturm-morning-romo-restores-blueprint-winning

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Encouraging read that explains a lot and almost rationalizes away the past 7 weeks. But if the defense is built to relentlessly attack once the team gets a lead, what happened against Atlanta and the third quarter of the NO game when they seemed passive and on their heels?

BoysFanInAustin

Reaction score
Encouraging read that explains a lot and almost rationalizes away the past 7 weeks. But if the defense is built to relentlessly attack once the team gets a lead, what happened against Atlanta and the third quarter of the NO game when they seemed passive and on their heels?

No depth at the time. Gregory was injured and Hardy was still suspended. Mincey was out vs Atlanta also with a concussion. R. McClain was suspended, T. McClain was lost for the season and we were still playing Davon Coleman who was released a week later after the ATL game. Sean Lee left NO game with a concussion. With little depth, the defense was sucking wind.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score

atlanta made the adjustments in half, figured out that weeden wasn't going to throw deep they adjusted by stacking the box more and daring weeden to beat them mid-deep.

that was the chess move that changed the complexion of the game and of the majority of our 7 game loosing streak.

Last edited:

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

Blame Marinelli. Er, I mean Garrett.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I was talking about this in a thread last week how the lack of lead was the big difference for the defense

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

ATL was the game with Gregory and Hardy out where Russell played and lost gap control over and over and the ran it down our throats. They also killed us with Jones on those slants we couldn't seem to stop in the second half.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
atlanta made the adjustments in half, figured out that weeden wasn't going to throw deep they adjusted by stacking the box more and daring weeden to beat them mid-deep

It seems that all other teams do adjust , except the JG lead Cowboys team . Still doing the same thing and expecting hopefully best. :facepalm:

The bad 2nd halves during a sense of Romo , especially couple of games not a single point after half time cannot be explained anything other than coaching

VACowboy

Reaction score
This is the formula the team used in the 90's, except then they passed early and often to score points and tire out the defense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not sure that made much difference in offensive scoring. Dallas was before yesterday still the league leader in TOP, even better than last year I believe.

Oh no it didn't make much of a difference yesterday for sure as far as scoring.

I just meant that the running game accumulates more yards when Romo is converting 3 downs.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score

This entire organization benefits an undetermined amount from Romo.But its huge.......

WIthout Romo, that defense is put in a position to make a stop or lose the game. And its been proven . they lose.

Now, they arent under so much pressure....Its the same players, same defense. But add in Romo and it hides their warts.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Oh no it didn't make much of a difference yesterday for sure as far as scoring.

I just meant that the running game accumulates more yards when Romo is converting 3 downs.

Oh, ok. I see what you mean now.

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
I love that article and it makes me emotional and Tony's Presser was so fascinating into the mind of the QB. And like I thought he was trying to make too much happen on some of those plays combined with not having the combo of body/mind in balance yet after the long lay off. QBing is utterly fascinating to me. But then I have always loved quick minds....