News: Sturm: The Morning After: Cowboys 24, Giants 21 (6-5)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Victories like that don't come around very often. And the rarity of this particular afternoon is why what you saw on Sunday was so sweet.

As I said on Twitter Sunday Night, "That is a meaningful, cold-weather, clutch, road, nationally-televised, divisional win."

You are quite familiar with my stance on winning in the NFL and the difficulty that goes with it, so you can likely imagine my stance when you beat a divisional foe at their place that you certainly have not handled really well in this current era of Cowboys football.

And the New York Giants have dealt with the Cowboys quite well over the last 15 years or so, but not in 2013. This year, they suffer the fact that Dallas shoved the dagger into their chest right in front of their loyalists on a cold day at the new Giants Stadium with a gutsy 24-21 win that required all 60 minutes to sort out.

It was the kind of win that you realize can and will be picked apart from many perspectives, and that the victor had anything but perfect grades all around. However, with the game on the line and the team needing to put together a drive, they looked once again to their franchise QB to carry them home. And while the overall performance of the entire afternoon left plenty of room for improvement, the job that the offense and Tony Romo, in particular, put together with all of the chips down was something to behold.

Read the rest: http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-morning-after-cowboys-24-giants-21.html

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Sturm makes a good point about how the offense stayed aggressive on the last drive, even after getting into FG range.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Sturm makes a good point about how the offense stayed aggressive on the last drive, even after getting into FG range.

As they should. Saw a zoner talking about getting Bailey as close as possible. I don't like leaving the game in the hands/leg of the kicker, even Bailey with those conditions.. If you have time to go for 6, go get it.

ufcrules1

Reaction score

Yes, I noticed that too and it was so welcoming to just throw for the first down and put the game away.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
As they should. Saw a zoner talking about getting Bailey as close as possible. I don't like leaving the game in the hands/leg of the kicker, even Bailey with those conditions.. If you have time to go for 6, go get it.

That really wasn't the point. It's that instead of just playing for a long difficult field goal with time still left on on the clock we threw for the first down a few times and killed all the clock thus making a chip shot field goal to win it. No need to go for a TD there.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
That really wasn't the point. It's that instead of just playing for a long difficult field goal with time still left on on the clock we threw for the first down a few times and killed all the clock thus making a chip shot field goal to win it. No need to go for a TD there.

Well you had to throw for first downs since you converted 2 third downs on that drive.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Yeah, but you were saying to go for six. There was no need to go for 6 there.

Of course, when the drive started. You don't start that drive with 4 minutes with the goal of kicking a FG. Leave too many things to chance. Let's just say I trusted Romo to drive the team down for the go ahead score more than I did the kicker in those windy conditions.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Of course, when the drive started. You don't start that drive with 4 minutes with the goal of kicking a FG. Leave too many things to chance. Let's just say I trusted Romo to drive the team down for the go ahead score more than I did the kicker in those windy conditions.

It was a chip shot field goal from there, I felt real comfortable with the kicker making it. Now, just running the ball a few times and going for a 43 yarder.. no thank you.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
It was a chip shot field goal from there, I felt real comfortable with the kicker making it. Now, just running the ball a few times and going for a 43 yarder.. no thank you.

Until J.P. snaps it high or the punter fumbles the snap lol.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score

That play calling shocked all of DC Nation. I was sitting on my couch thinking "alright Austin has them in field goal range, now when they run 3 times in a row the Giants will have about 35 seconds left to bring it into FG range". Instead on the next play, Romo fires a beautiful pass to Bryant (which should have been ruled complete).

Garrett didn't play not to lose last night, he played to win.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
That play calling shocked all of DC Nation. I was sitting on my couch thinking "alright Austin has them in field goal range, now when they run 3 times in a row the Giants will have about 35 seconds left to bring it into FG range". Instead on the next play, Romo fires a beautiful pass to Bryant (which should have been ruled complete).

Garrett didn't play not to lose last night, he played to win.

He finally did but I'm wondering if the wind came into play with his decision there. I hope not, I hope that is the new put the nail in the coffin JG.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Monday, November 25, 2013
The Morning After: Cowboys 24, Giants 21 (6-5)

Victories like that don't come around very often. And the rarity of this particular afternoon is why what you saw on Sunday was so sweet.

As I said on Twitter Sunday Night, "That is a meaningful, cold-weather, clutch, road, nationally-televised, divisional win."

You are quite familiar with my stance on winning in the NFL and the difficulty that goes with it, so you can likely imagine my stance when you beat a divisional foe at their place that you certainly have not handled really well in this current era of Cowboys football.

And the New York Giants have dealt with the Cowboys quite well over the last 15 years or so, but not in 2013. This year, they suffer the fact that Dallas shoved the dagger into their chest right in front of their loyalists on a cold day at the new Giants Stadium with a gutsy 24-21 win that required all 60 minutes to sort out.

It was the kind of win that you realize can and will be picked apart from many perspectives, and that the victor had anything but perfect grades all around. However, with the game on the line and the team needing to put together a drive, they looked once again to their franchise QB to carry them home. And while the overall performance of the entire afternoon left plenty of room for improvement, the job that the offense and Tony Romo, in particular, put together with all of the chips down was something to behold.
http://sturminator.blogspot.com

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yeah an unusual feel good post by the Sturminator. I was hoping for some analysis but I suspect that would just not be popular esp here with some. Wasn't a pretty win. But they did something they haven't done in awhile. Maybe coach has decided to fire some bullets instead of hunkering down.

Plankton

Reaction score
Sturm had an interesting point with the two point conversion. If the Giants had failed to score, with a 21-19 lead, do the Cowboys put it on Romo to close it out, or do they get uber conservative, and hope to run enough time off the clock before giving it up?

I think they would have played conservative.

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
Sturm had an interesting point with the two point conversion. If the Giants had failed to score, with a 21-19 lead, do the Cowboys put it on Romo to close it out, or do they get uber conservative, and hope to run enough time off the clock before giving it up?

Ive thought about that myself and I agree. I think Garrett goes into a shell in that situation. Hopefully Romo's performance gives him some confidence going forward in calling a more aggressive game in those circumstances

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score

Yep. I remember the end of the Lions game. We didn't play to win. We just ran the ball when we were in field goal range. The holding call stopped the clock and gave the Lions the ball back with about 50 seconds. Then we all know what happened.

I was afraid the same thing was gonna happen this game. After the BS incompletion to Dez, it was 3rd and long with a minute left. I was thinking we would run the ball, NY would call their final timeout, we would kick the field goal and go up by 3, then NY would get the ball back with a minute left. Instead, we went for it on 3rd and long and converted. That forced NY to call their last timeout and allowed us to run out the clock before the field goal. It was risky but it paid off.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nah. Not with a 2 point lead where a fg gets you beat. That's not conservative, that'd just be dumb.