News: Sturm: The Morning After: Dallas 31, Washington 16 (3-3)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last week, the Cowboys depended on its highest-compensated player to rewrite the record books and duel to the finish with one of the best in the history of the sport. Last night, the Cowboys were all asked to do their part and show last year's division champion that this team has more resolve when it counts and will not concede an inch.

And this week's performance left with a very important divisional win over the Washington Commanders, in a game that will not present nearly the awesome highlight segments, but will do a better job of getting this Dallas team where it wants to go.

It was a test of wills last night, and although the Cowboys paid quite a price to enforce theirs - with costly injuries all around - they surely left the stadium with an assortment of players who can feel that they contributed and earned their spots this week. And that is what is often missing from this franchise in recent years. Everyone feeling like they can make a play and then efforting to do so. It is not easy to affect games if you are not one of the focal points, but you every time you step on the field you are either trying to turn the game or you are wasting everyone's time. Thankfully, there are a lot of players who realize that opportunity cannot be wasted in this line of work, and many with stars on their helmets who understand that this is their chance to grab on and to make a name for themselves.

The Cowboys won this game because they received contributions from all over the field and all over the roster. There will be plenty today who complain about lack of yardage and proper statistics like QB rating, or total yards, or total plays, or run/pass balance. I am sure those same people will not remember that they argued that those numbers do not matter just last week when all the statistics in the world were not enough to get a victory.

Read the rest: http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-morning-after-dallas-31-washington.html

cowboys1981

Reaction score
We played as a team. From knockout blocks on ST, to Frederick pushing Randle to the EZ and the Dline kicking it up a notch after Ware's departure. In every aspect of the game we came together. Games like this is why I don't care for stats; winning is the only thing that matters.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'm waiting for someone to post a complaint about Romo's stats.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not looking for squat. I know it's coming and so do you.
Well, why don't you wait for it to actually come, then? The pre-emptive strike nonsense is no better than the folks actually doing the criticizing.

I'm just saying, why not enjoy the win? Everybody is.

But maybe you like standing alone on an island when everybody else is out enjoying the water. *shrug*

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well, why don't you wait for it to actually come, then? The pre-emptive strike nonsense is no better than the folks actually doing the criticizing.

I'm just saying, why not enjoy the win? Everybody is.

But maybe you like standing alone on an island when everybody else is out enjoying the water. *shrug*

Who made you God to assume I'm not enjoying the win? SMH

morasp

Reaction score
To my untrained eye, romo has taken it up a notch the last two games. The little things he used to do to extend the play and get positive yardage seem to be back. A couple weeks ago there was a thread that they've squeezed the magic out of Romo but to me it looks like he's gotten it back.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly; especially the 3rd paragraph. I have for years felt that most of the D had an attitude of "let Ware make the play. He makes all the money". This is why I think he is starting to get so banged-up. To see these newer guys stepping up and making plays was a wonderful sight. My big question still is: Can they do it again next week in Philly, to take over the division lead? Of that I'm not very confident...

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can complain about Romo. He missed a lot of throws, but still had a good game overall. That TD to Williams was an amazing throw.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not looking for squat. I know it's coming and so do you.
Romo looked a bit off last night. If not for Harris picking up the slack, his poor play and trying to force that ball that got picked would have cost us. Plus, he was definitely throwing that TD to Williams away and just got lucky.

Happy? ;) lol

DFWJC

Reaction score
Sturm is far and away the best writer covering the Cowboys.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Last week, the Cowboys depended on its highest-compensated player to rewrite the record books and duel to the finish with one of the best in the history of the sport. Last night, the Cowboys were all asked to do their part and show last year's division champion that this team has more resolve when it counts and will not concede an inch.

And this week's performance left with a very important divisional win over the Washington Commanders, in a game that will not present nearly the awesome highlight segments, but will do a better job of getting this Dallas team where it wants to go.

It was a test of wills last night, and although the Cowboys paid quite a price to enforce theirs - with costly injuries all around - they surely left the stadium with an assortment of players who can feel that they contributed and earned their spots this week. And that is what is often missing from this franchise in recent years. Everyone feeling like they can make a play and then efforting to do so. It is not easy to affect games if you are not one of the focal points, but you every time you step on the field you are either trying to turn the game or you are wasting everyone's time. Thankfully, there are a lot of players who realize that opportunity cannot be wasted in this line of work, and many with stars on their helmets who understand that this is their chance to grab on and to make a name for themselves.

The Cowboys won this game because they received contributions from all over the field and all over the roster. There will be plenty today who complain about lack of yardage and proper statistics like QB rating, or total yards, or total plays, or run/pass balance. I am sure those same people will not remember that they argued that those numbers do not matter just last week when all the statistics in the world were not enough to get a victory.

Read the rest: http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-morning-after-dallas-31-washington.html
Well said, an all out effort by all parts of the team.

reddyuta

Reaction score
so the skins blitzed 17 times,that seems right.I still feel we should do a better job against the blitz but atleast there is no up the gut pressure for Romo to worry about a lot .

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
so the skins blitzed 17 times,that seems right.I still feel we should do a better job against the blitz but atleast there is no up the gut pressure for Romo to worry about a lot .

There were a few times where Romo slid the protection and it worked well.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I will never understand how about seven consistent negative posters have the entire Zone all caught up in their underwear over Romo. Don't worry, their time is coming in a few years. It'll be Quincy Land all over again.