Sturm: This is the year to need a TE

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I'm just not sold on the investment of any of these other guys.

It's early days but I feel like they are all dime a dozen types and that is what is already on the roster.

I want a difference maker at the position and I don't know if any of them are any better then JArwin.
I tend to agree with this. Outside of the top 3 or 4 guys, I don't know if there's a difference maker there, especially for what we ask TEs to do.

BillyBates

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. a TE is top on my wish list. Gathers is a bust, Jarwin meh we will see. Shultz for a Rookie seemed to be a good fit.

Gaede

Reaction score
People are over rating our TEs. I'm not confident that any of them are starters, despite Jarwin's one good game against a scrub opponent in the last game of the year.

I'm not up to speed yet on this crop, but a second or third rounder will almost invariably be better than the players on our team

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Nauta is not a middling player, he would probably be the best all-around tight end the moment he steps on the field for Dallas.

Sternberger has some Travis Kelce to his game, though not quite the blocker.

None of Gronk, Kelce, Kittle and Ertz were drafted in the first. Don’t dismiss them because they aren’t going in round one.

Couldn't you say the same about Jarwin?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
People are over rating our TEs. I'm not confident that any of them are starters, despite Jarwin's one good game against a scrub opponent in the last game of the year.

I'm not up to speed yet on this crop, but a second or third rounder will almost invariably be better than the players on our team

As another poster stated, after the top 3-4 guys, I'm not sure we can upgrade over Jarwin. Yea he had one great game but shame on Linehan for not building on it. My preference we sign a mid-tier free agent vet who can hit the ground running.

conner01

Reaction score
If TE is the best player, take him
Just don’t get wrapped in a position
Draft the best player on your board

cnuball21

Reaction score
Witten certain lowers the position on the needs list...but I’m still keeping it on the radar long term.

Someone who is getting zero buzz, is Caleb Wilson.

PFFs highest grades TE in 17, and led all TEs in YAC in 2018. I think you can argue he’s one of the most natural pass catchers in the draft, but he obviously needs to add some bulk.

If this dude falls far enough in.

jjktkk

Reaction score
After the top 2 or 3 rated TEs in the upcoming draft, would there be an TE available that's better than what the Cowboys already have on their roster?

jjktkk

Reaction score
Whose overrating our TEs?
I haven't heard of this. As a group they're meh, but Jarwin and Sturm are still developing, so the jury is still out on these two. Not saying they're pro bowlers, but they have a chance to be at least solid.[/QUOTE]
I don't think that's a guarantee at all.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Not a fan of Kaden Smith in terms of bringing something new to our current crop.

yup...all this hype for this TE class is a bunch of hot air. Starting to think there are maybe 5 or 6 guys i'd take...and really...they are just role players...not 3 down do it all type guys.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Even though we signed Witt, I’m still open to take someone late to develop with Schultz.

I’m a fan of Oliver and Wilson, just don’t know how early they’ll go.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Thankfully, we have Witten in this time of drought.

tm1119

Reaction score
I can see us taking a guy like Dawson Knox in the 4th. He’s a good inline run blocker which will attract the cowboys automatically. Luckily he’s also pretty athletic and has has decent hands. He’s a guy that could be a late bloomer as a pass catcher

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Don't forget Pope Jason Witten I was a 3rd round pick.

Now the 31 other teams ended up sending a letter asking for forgiveness for the snub but still.

I think we could replace Blake Jarwin with a 5th round pick in this draft.

Why would you keep swaim and or Rico over jarwin?

He led the TEs in TDs and had them all in one game, showing some actual promise as a seam threat.