Success or failure will be decided how this team is able to run the football and stop the run!

Jipper

Reaction score
Jerry better buy up a lot of imodium AD bc that's the only way they are gonna stop the runs!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The #1 Goal for every defense in any era is being able to stop the run and make an offense one dimensional! I don't want to hear that today's game is all about stopping the pass. If that was the case Cowboys Defense would be one of the best units in the entire league, their issue isn't defending the pass, but rather being successful on the early downs. It is much harder to defend 3rd and short, where offenses can either run or pass the ball.

Have the Cowboys done enough this offseason to upgrade their run defense:

-Change of scheme should help, Quinn used a ton of stunts/twists that opened up gapping holes to run through.
-The days of Safeties playing LB are now over, they will have legitimate linebackers with size.
-Brought in Eric Kendricks, who has lost a step, but still the better and more healthier player than Lve ever was. Overshown returns and they also added a rookie to the group.
-Outside runs right at Parsons was a major issue, Kneeland could upgrade that immediately, along with Parsons being off the ball against the run.
-Mazi remains a huge questionmark, but they will not be forcing him to be an up the field 3T anymore.
-Can Osa be impactful for a full season?

Although not much personnel upgrades, I do feel the run defense will be improved, just don't know how much. Zimmer's scheme should help, but this team desperately needs to upgrade the DT position. They need that war daddy inside to complete this defense. I believe that is the area to attack in next year's draft!

Rushing Offense

This team hasn't had much success running the football since Travis Frederick got sick. He was a special player who can do it all. When you look back even prior to Zeke's arrival, this offense dominated teams on the ground. Hell, they made Darren McFadden look real good at the end of his career. Murray had a 1,800 yr rushing season. Neither back was considered elite prior to those seasons, but the Cowboy OL was.

What have the Cowboys done to improve their rushing offense?

-They clearly needed to get younger, stronger and more athletic. I do think they accomplished this via the draft, although these players needs developmental time.
-Beebe, the team's projected Center has all the physical traits you seek, but he has to learn the mental side of playing the Center position.
-Guyton has elite athleticism, but he has to learn how to play with more violence and finish better.
-Many are writing off Steele too quickly, he was one of the best run blocking Tackles 2 years ago and came off of major knee surgery. He looked far better late in the season.
-Who is running the football? Many thought Dowdle actually looked better then Pollard for most the season. He is a true lead back, can he stay healthy? No to both the questions. Still believe they need to add a starting running back. What about Zeke and his role? Always has had the nose for the endzone and leaning forward crossing the sticks. As a short yardage type of back he will be just fine, now if they give him too many touches, he will struggle.

Clearly the front office made an effort to overhaul the offensive line in this year's draft. If they can hit on both Guyton/Beebe that will be huge for the future. LT/C are the most important positions along the line. Losing Tyron hurts, but at least they can build continuity with the group. Starting Running Back is an issue, but the hard part has been already addressed up front.

I disagree..

We’ll only be as good as Dak’s arm can take us.

That’s how the NFL works.

It’s not about running and stopping the run.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The #1 Goal for every defense in any era is being able to stop the run and make an offense one dimensional! I don't want to hear that today's game is all about stopping the pass. If that was the case Cowboys Defense would be one of the best units in the entire league, their issue isn't defending the pass, but rather being successful on the early downs. It is much harder to defend 3rd and short, where offenses can either run or pass the ball.

-Change of scheme should help, Quinn used a ton of stunts/twists that opened up gapping holes to run through.
-The days of Safeties playing LB are now over, they will have legitimate linebackers with size.
-Brought in Eric Kendricks, who has lost a step, but still the better and more healthier player than Lve ever was. Overshown returns and they also added a rookie to the group.
-Outside runs right at Parsons was a major issue, Kneeland could upgrade that immediately, along with Parsons being off the ball against the run.
-Mazi remains a huge questionmark, but they will not be forcing him to be an up the field 3T anymore.

Although not much personnel upgrades, I do feel the run defense will be improved, just don't know how much. Zimmer's scheme should help, but this team desperately needs to upgrade the DT position. They need that war daddy inside to complete this defense. I believe that is the area to attack in next year's draft!

Rushing Offense

This team hasn't had much success running the football since Travis Frederick got sick. He was a special player who can do it all. When you look back even prior to Zeke's arrival, this offense dominated teams on the ground. Hell, they made Darren McFadden look real good at the end of his career. Murray had a 1,800 yr rushing season. Neither back was considered elite prior to those seasons, but the Cowboy OL was.

-They clearly needed to get younger, stronger and more athletic. I do think they accomplished this via the draft, although these players needs developmental time.
-Beebe, the team's projected Center has all the physical traits you seek, but he has to learn the mental side of playing the Center position.
-Guyton has elite athleticism, but he has to learn how to play with more violence and finish better.
-Many are writing off Steele too quickly, he was one of the best run blocking Tackles 2 years ago and came off of major knee surgery. He looked far better late in the season.
-Who is running the football? Many thought Dowdle actually looked better then Pollard for most the season. He is a true lead back, can he stay healthy? No to both the questions. Still believe they need to add a starting running back. What about Zeke and his role? Always has had the nose for the endzone and leaning forward crossing the sticks. As a short yardage type of back he will be just fine, now if they give him too many touches, he will struggle.

Clearly the front office made an effort to overhaul the offensive line in this year's draft. If they can hit on both Guyton/Beebe that will be huge for the future. LT/C are the most important positions along the line. Losing Tyron hurts, but at least they can build continuity with the group. Starting Running Back is an issue, but the hard part has been already addressed up front.
#1 goal is or should be stoping the run???

That clearly has not been a priority in Dallas for some time now.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Rushing Offense

No, absolutely everything is Dak’s fault. I’ve heard it here a million times.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
There defensive line situation - especially at DT - is very troublesome. They are one season-ending injury away from a key player like Lawrence or Osa from being a disaster against the run. Even with those two healthy, the rest of the group - Mazi, Golston, Fehoka, Rogers, doesn't really inspire confidence. I am glad that we drafted 3 offensive lineman this year to improve the offensive. Too bad I expect most of them to enjoy the game from the sidelines as teams with any pulse of a running attack pound our defense into submission. The defense claimed they were tired in last year's playoff game. This year, I expect them to be tired by November. My number one wish during FA was to go hard after a DT. Draft picks at this position rarely come in and make an immediate impact. But in typical Cowboys fashion, the front office punted that opportunity away.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
#1 goal is or should be stoping the run???

That clearly has not been a priority in Dallas for some time now.
They have had DC's who wanted their defensive lineman to play the run on their way to the QB. It was based on smaller/quick type of personnel. Zimmer's scheme employs bigger personnel and is more read and react.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The Cowboys will have a bottom five rushing attack on offense this year. Bookmark this if you wish to make me eat crow if I get it wrong, but I doubt I will be wrong and neither do most of you.

shabazz

Reaction score
The Browns were the 6th best rushing team and were a top 5 defense. The Cowboys made no significant roster upgrades to address our rushing and rush defense.....and yet Vegas has it a 1 point game

Very odd

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I disagree..

We’ll only be as good as Dak’s arm can take us.

That’s how the NFL works.

It’s not about running and stopping the run.
You have to have a run game to keep defenses from pinning their ears back and rushing the passer. If they don't have to worry about a run game, it is easier to defend. As for defense, if they cannot stop the run, they cannot get off the field, this tires out the unit and has the offense watching from the sidelines.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The Browns were the 6th best rushing team and were a top 5 defense. The Cowboys made no significant roster upgrades to address our rushing and rush defense.....and yet Vegas has it a 1 point game

Very odd
The line will move to 3 or 4 in a few months.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree on Williams…he’s maddening dude. The potential was very apparent his rookie season as he made quite a few splash plays. Feel like he was non existent this past season.

Losing DA and Fowler should open up a lot of snaps for him. We really need him to step up as he’s the only one on the roster I think can have the impact Im talking about.
With Zimmer on board, we can expect more pressure from our linebackers with those A Gap blitzes. That should affect the pocket and force the QB to move towards our pass rushers on the outside.

jwitten82

Reaction score

Very odd
Probably because their qb situation is still horrible. I dont see them making the playoffs again this season

shabazz

Reaction score
Probably because their qb situation is still horrible. I dont see them making the playoffs again this season
Other than qb, they are strong on paper.. ..they'd probably compete for first if they were in our division.

The game will answer all questions

jwitten82

Reaction score
Other than qb, they are strong on paper.. ..they'd probably compete for first if they were in our division.

The game will answer all questions
I do agree that that game will answer questions. Our run d will be tested and our oline

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we stay with the same blocking scheme this will not end well without a mobile QB
The competition will be tougher this year, smoke and mirrors won't work.